Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-12-2018, 12:40 PM   #43
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I wouldn’t say the car is pathetic. The fact that Ford continues to consistently pull up short on beating Cam6 performance to protect the 4,000 a year or so GT350s they sell is definitely a point of criticism. But anybody who buys a Bullitt is not getting a pathetic car. Their getting a damn good car. Granted, they could get a better performing car for about the same coin.
Its nice to see that Ford will offer upgraded models within the GT line with more than just select decals and wheels. Bullitt Engine adds: air intake, intake manifold from the Shelby GT350, larger throttle body, specific ECU calibrations and an active quad-tip exhaust system. The result is a 20-horsepower increase in output from the 5.0-liter V8 for a total of 480 ponies and 420 pound-feet of torque. The extra oomph also raises top speed 8 mph, to 163, over the standard GT.

Considering how the standard 18 GT pulls hard up top this should pull even better.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:50 PM   #44
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Its nice to see that Ford will offer upgraded models within the GT line with more than just select decals and wheels. Bullitt Engine adds: air intake, intake manifold from the Shelby GT350, larger throttle body, specific ECU calibrations and an active quad-tip exhaust system. The result is a 20-horsepower increase in output from the 5.0-liter V8 for a total of 480 ponies and 420 pound-feet of torque. The extra oomph also raises top speed 8 mph, to 163, over the standard GT.

Considering how the standard 18 GT pulls hard up top this should pull even better.
I completely agree, and think everyone here does too. I really wish GM would stop being so rigid. Ford even has the GT350 toes to watch out for stepping on, and they still push the envelope where GM has plenty of room to add engine performance to the SS line without coming close to the ZL1.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:26 PM   #45
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
I completely agree, and think everyone here does too. I really wish GM would stop being so rigid. Ford even has the GT350 toes to watch out for stepping on, and they still push the envelope where GM has plenty of room to add engine performance to the SS line without coming close to the ZL1.
I think their mighty a10 GT already steps on it in a straight line. And their PP2 might already match it on the track.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #46
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
I don't know. I don't have 1LE yet, picking it up this weekend. However I believe that having balance makes for a better drivers car and experience.

If you add too much power and it overwhelms the tires and the chassis, then it kills the thrill of being able to push the car completely. I would rather ring out a 400HP car than have to baby a 700HP car.

As I do not have my 1LE yet , I can't speak to how close to the limit the power is to the chassis.

But maybe that is GM's thinking?

One of my favorite cars was my old E90 M3 V8. It had a high redline, not a lot of low down torque, but you could beat on it all day and it just took it and said , can I have some more. Everything from the grip, brakes, cooling, handling, etc. It was a fun car. Fast forward to my F80 M3, and it was the total opposite experience. It had too much power and TQ for the chassis to handle and it was not a fun car to drive fast and stepped all over itself in traction, stability, brakes, etc.
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:56 PM   #47
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
If you want a track car, 1LE. If you see no track, bite the Bullitt. Especially if resale value is your primary concern.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:32 AM   #48
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I don't know. I don't have 1LE yet, picking it up this weekend. However I believe that having balance makes for a better drivers car and experience.

If you add too much power and it overwhelms the tires and the chassis, then it kills the thrill of being able to push the car completely. I would rather ring out a 400HP car than have to baby a 700HP car.

As I do not have my 1LE yet , I can't speak to how close to the limit the power is to the chassis.

But maybe that is GM's thinking?

One of my favorite cars was my old E90 M3 V8. It had a high redline, not a lot of low down torque, but you could beat on it all day and it just took it and said , can I have some more. Everything from the grip, brakes, cooling, handling, etc. It was a fun car. Fast forward to my F80 M3, and it was the total opposite experience. It had too much power and TQ for the chassis to handle and it was not a fun car to drive fast and stepped all over itself in traction, stability, brakes, etc.
That makes sense, but I just refer to small changes in HP that GM could do. They could add the air intake and even the hot cam with the GM tune etc. Add 20-30 HP I doubt would upset the car, and would add excitement for different models. Not quite the same excitement as with the Bullit, as lots of people buy in to the hype and the nostalgia. Doing something instead of nothing is all I ask for.

I LOVE my e92, I will never get rid of it. To me it is the last great M car BMW made. They lost their ability to make the cars like they used to, lost that balance that they were SO good at. You could argue at one point they were at the top of the heap in that regard, even better than Porsche......but BMW is not what it once was and has lost their way.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:33 AM   #49
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
If you want a track car, 1LE. If you see no track, bite the Bullitt. Especially if resale value is your primary concern.
LOL, solid advice and a pun that was way over due. Well done sir!
Old 07-13-2018, 07:39 AM   #50
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
I'd like a new Z28 model, not to the extreme of the 5th Gen but something based off of the present 1LE chassis with a high winding high hp 302. Call it a DZ302 model.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:51 AM   #51
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
I'd like a new Z28 model, not to the extreme of the 5th Gen but something based off of the present 1LE chassis with a high winding high hp 302. Call it a DZ302 model.
That is something I would sell my M3 for.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #52
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
That makes sense, but I just refer to small changes in HP that GM could do. They could add the air intake and even the hot cam with the GM tune etc. Add 20-30 HP I doubt would upset the car, and would add excitement for different models. Not quite the same excitement as with the Bullit, as lots of people buy in to the hype and the nostalgia. Doing something instead of nothing is all I ask for.

I LOVE my e92, I will never get rid of it. To me it is the last great M car BMW made. They lost their ability to make the cars like they used to, lost that balance that they were SO good at. You could argue at one point they were at the top of the heap in that regard, even better than Porsche......but BMW is not what it once was and has lost their way.
I hear ya and agree on your point to the small stuff. I actually think the LS7 from the old Z/28 would be the perfect motor for the 1LE.

I had a C6 Z06 at one time and that motor was pretty awesome. Although mine had the exhaust valve guide issues and ended up being bought back on the lemon law, but the motor was awesome when built correctly.

As for BMW, you are absolutely correct. I have never felt I over paid for a car as much as I did about my F80 M3. I do hear great things about the M2, but I have never driven one, and its price is right up there with the M3/4 with a lesser interior.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:45 PM   #53
R.C. Collins

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
The Bullitt will have better visibility (which is of the utmost importance over on M6G forums) and probably a little bit better storage space (again, another very important thing for a performance car over on M6G).
That's funny!

Last edited by R.C. Collins; 07-15-2018 at 11:07 PM.
R.C. Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:41 AM   #54
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I hear ya and agree on your point to the small stuff. I actually think the LS7 from the old Z/28 would be the perfect motor for the 1LE.

I had a C6 Z06 at one time and that motor was pretty awesome. Although mine had the exhaust valve guide issues and ended up being bought back on the lemon law, but the motor was awesome when built correctly.

As for BMW, you are absolutely correct. I have never felt I over paid for a car as much as I did about my F80 M3. I do hear great things about the M2, but I have never driven one, and its price is right up there with the M3/4 with a lesser interior.
As much as I love my M3, and I REALLY love it. I would drive it in the river for a alpha chassis car with an LS7. It is as simple as that.

Sorry to hear you were so unhappy with the F80, glad you have moved on to greener pastures though hahahaha.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:23 AM   #55
germanicus

Drives: Pony Car
germanicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:31 AM   #56
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanicus View Post
HAHAHAHA, I love his enthusiasm. I think he has an ecoboost now, he is going to love that V8 and that awesome exhaust note.

Good for him.