Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #43
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliannnt View Post
Honestly, the CAI's look really cool, but not 500 dollars cool. I spent 60 bucks on a K&N drop in which actually seems to add some hp and torque, just feels like the engine breathes better. IMO just go with a nice drop in for the current intake system to replace that cheap paper one, unless of course you're cool with spending the money on the CAI in which case by all means go for it lol. I just personally feel like it's kind of a waste of money.
I installed the drop in yesterday, and found half a tree in my box lol, it's getting air from somewhere, it must be a CAI like people claim. Iono
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2017, 01:12 AM   #44
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Here's what the ad from TGMPG says. When you go to the link, it says that a 50 state legal model is being worked on.

The wait is finally over...

The GM Performance LT1 Intake Is now Available!

Upgrade the look, sound and performance of your Gen 6 Camaro with this Chevrolet Performance Air Intake. These intakes have been rigorously tested to GM standards and will not void your vehicle warranty. This kit includes a high efficiency air filter and accepts the factory PCV connections and sound enhancer. This Intake kit will include a GM tune that must be applied at a GM dealership.

Keep your Warranty!!

GM will be providing a tune for this cold air intake, along with installation instructions and all necessary hardware to get the job done. The tune/re-calibration is to allow the mass air flow sensor to adjust to the increased amount of airflow from the new intake. This intake must be tuned or you will have a check engine light.
  • Reduces Air Intake Restriction by up to 17% at peak airflow (350 grams/second) - Currently the best flowing Intake on the Market.
  • GM Performance Part developed by the same engineers that made the car
  • Keeps your warranty intact & adds re-sell value
*Note* Currently this is a Non-Carb State Legal CAI, therefore the provided tune to properly run the intake will not work with cars that are registered within the following states - CA, AZ, CT, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NM, NY, OR, PA, RI, VT, WA, DC, and any outside Countries.

Get Your Intake Here
Copyright © 2017 That GM Parts Guy, All rights reserved.
You are receive this Email because you have signed up on ThatGMPartsGuy.com. We appreciate your support and you will receive special offers for being a account holder with ThatGMPartsGuy.com

Our mailing address is:
That GM Parts Guy39 N US 12
Fox Lake, Il 60020

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:10 AM   #45
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
^^^ the tune and warranty makes this attractive for folks that want to stay stock. It would be interesting to see someone dyno test it.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:39 AM   #46
Ruebernard

Drives: 2017 GRT 2SS/RS M6 Vert
Not dyno testing but testing the CAI unit with Thatgmpartsguy this morning!
Old 06-08-2017, 06:50 AM   #47
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
This intake must be tuned or you will have a check engine light.
This part is very interesting, since it seems none of the other CAIs are producing CELs.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:04 AM   #48
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Considering this one actually requires a tune I imagine it actually makes up to a 10 hp difference.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:34 AM   #49
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
There are very few cai on the market that require a tune. I not sure why this one would.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:54 AM   #50
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
It's available at shopchevyparts.com also.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:50 PM   #51
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
There are very few cai on the market that require a tune. I not sure why this one would.
The description says...
Quote:
The tune/re-calibration is to allow the mass air flow sensor to adjust to the increased amount of airflow from the new intake. This intake must be tuned or you will have a check engine light.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 06-08-2017, 01:47 PM   #52
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
The description says...
I see exactly what it says and I still dont know why. Roto fab is top notch and requires no tune. The maf will adjust easily on its own on most cai on the market. Are they charging for the tune? My K@N with shorty headers and hi flow cats required zero tune with no cel. Like I said the amount of tuned cai is very mimimal. Even the Z/28 cai doesnt need a tune. Maybe the LT1 is ultra sensetive to mods.

http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...cold-air-1.htm
Old 06-08-2017, 02:36 PM   #53
Ruebernard

Drives: 2017 GRT 2SS/RS M6 Vert
Well, it was installed today thanks to our friend Matt @ thatgmpartsguy.com They did the tune which is probably more for emissions purposes. The seat of the pants test came back a big grin and two thumbs up. Thanks again Matt!
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2017, 02:45 PM   #54
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
I see exactly what it says and I still dont know why. Roto fab is top notch and requires no tune. The maf will adjust easily on its own on most cai on the market. Are they charging for the tune? My K@N with shorty headers and hi flow cats required zero tune with no cel. Like I said the amount of tuned cai is very mimimal. Even the Z/28 cai doesnt need a tune. Maybe the LT1 is ultra sensetive to mods.

http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...cold-air-1.htm
Possibly. Recall Al O's statement that a CAI will void your warranty and they will know if one was present.

Ronald Reagan -
Old 06-08-2017, 02:56 PM   #55
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Possibly. Recall Al O's statement that a CAI will void your warranty and they will know if one was present.
Its hard to say but this may be GMs way of dipping into the aftermarket business and adding a step {tune} that may or may not be needed. How are they telling you that they can tell if a cai has been installed? Ive never ever heard that. The maf adjusts to whatever is going on.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:18 PM   #56
RCF

Drives: '17 2SS, NGM, MRC, DPP; '19 F150
I could be wrong, but I believe that Mass Air Flow is actually calculated (not directly measured) using some constants (like maybe intake size/restriction of intake pipe, etc.) along with the info (air density) from the MAF sensor (why its called a sensor and not a meter most likely). So when you change the intake, the constants in the calculation are incorrect. If those changes are significant enough, it could cause a CEL - don't think there are any absolutes here.
RCF is offline   Reply With Quote