Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 03-02-2016, 10:07 AM   #71
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lDejavul View Post
While I do agree that some data might be sensitive to the company I also agree that you have to show your work. A lot of people will just buy this "just because" but I would really like to see some numbers. Maybe something showing the air temp differences, and before and after dyno. I know someone is going to dyno this and test it themselves but it kinda sucks that these are being kept a secret. It appears that mishimoto has been pretty forthcoming about data and progress. I may just save my money for a company that likes being part of the community and sharing rather then just selling to us.
There is nothing sensitive about what I am asking for here. Nothing. The intake is either...

1. not effecting the MAF accuracy by any appreciable amount and is actually improving the air mass into the cylinders. This is the notion people are conditioned to believe is happening when they buy a CAI.

2. part of the gain is skewed MAF output and improved air mass into the cylinders. This is the likely the situation with most and makes it difficult to discern if the CAI is leading to more air mass or the tune is just being skewed with bad MAF output leading to increased timing and leaner AFR. In other words... should my $400 just go straight to a tune or is there really additional HP to be gained with the addition of the intake?

3. providing little to no actual air mass increase and any gains are completely because of inaccurate MAF output.

I make no apology for asking for some simple data from some 7 seconds dyno runs that clarifies what this product is actually doing to achieve the gains it is touting. What is wrong with that? Nothing. If the MAF wasn't so easily skewed this wouldn't be an issue. And based off the SuperChevy dyno chart I am suspicious of what is actually contributing to the gains. If option 1 is the real answer prove it BEFORE you take my money.

I'm being very specific in my request and have clearly stated why I am asking. My request is based on very sound principles. It's not some arbitrary attempt to bash a manufacturer. If the data supports that the product is providing legitimate gains I will buy the product and promote it myself. But I'm not going to prove out someone else's product on my dime.

Tim
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:30 PM   #72
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Looks good. Question: people bash the K&N filters all the time, why did you go with K&N? Are there any other alternatives?

Not really bashing K&N, but they don't exactly filter the best. Not enough to make a difference, but just not as well as stock.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:49 PM   #73
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
Looks good. Question: people bash the K&N filters all the time, why did you go with K&N? Are there any other alternatives?

Not really bashing K&N, but they don't exactly filter the best. Not enough to make a difference, but just not as well as stock.
Thanks for the question. Our filters are not manufactured by K&N. Cold Air Inductions Inc. designs and engineers our own filters specially for our intake systems.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:42 PM   #74
Medic701

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Just ordered one, cant wait to get it
Medic701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #75
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSloper View Post
Without logs from the before/after runs it is not possible to conclude that this is all coming from improved airflow. I'd be really interested in seeing the MAF, AFR and timing data.
Quote:
I'll take that as a no. Lame.
Quote:
There is nothing sensitive about what I am asking for here. Nothing. The intake is either...

1. not effecting the MAF accuracy by any appreciable amount and is actually improving the air mass into the cylinders. This is the notion people are conditioned to believe is happening when they buy a CAI.

2. part of the gain is skewed MAF output and improved air mass into the cylinders. This is the likely the situation with most and makes it difficult to discern if the CAI is leading to more air mass or the tune is just being skewed with bad MAF output leading to increased timing and leaner AFR. In other words... should my $400 just go straight to a tune or is there really additional HP to be gained with the addition of the intake?

3. providing little to no actual air mass increase and any gains are completely because of inaccurate MAF output.

I make no apology for asking for some simple data from some 7 seconds dyno runs that clarifies what this product is actually doing to achieve the gains it is touting. What is wrong with that? Nothing. If the MAF wasn't so easily skewed this wouldn't be an issue. And based off the SuperChevy dyno chart I am suspicious of what is actually contributing to the gains. If option 1 is the real answer prove it BEFORE you take my money.

I'm being very specific in my request and have clearly stated why I am asking. My request is based on very sound principles. It's not some arbitrary attempt to bash a manufacturer. If the data supports that the product is providing legitimate gains I will buy the product and promote it myself. But I'm not going to prove out someone else's product on my dime.

Tim
Quote:
CAI are you willing to show the log data on the before after runs? I realize everyone is excited to get a CAI in their hands but it's not evident that the MAF isn't being skewed and causing some of the gains.
We are hesitant to respond to such negative comments from a single individual but we feel compelled to make a response for the benefit of our supporters and friends on the forum. The information that you are requesting is indeed proprietary (as many members have deduced) and we have invested a great deal of resources in R&D for this system. It is our policy to protect the information that we have invested so much time and money in. Ask yourself, why would we share this information with our competition? No matter what data we provide, there will be some people that will spend all of their time and energy trying to start a debate. We have a great system for the 5th Gen Camaro and now for the 6th Gen Camaro. We stand behind our quality products and their proven results. Hopefully, you will start to become a more positive and productive member of this valued forum going forward. We want to thank all of our loyal customers and fans for your continued support!
Old 03-02-2016, 03:55 PM   #76
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic701 View Post
Just ordered one, cant wait to get it
Thanks Medic701! We appreciate it!
Old 03-02-2016, 05:17 PM   #77
Medic701

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
We are hesitant to respond to such negative comments from a single individual but we feel compelled to make a response for the benefit of our supporters and friends on the forum. The information that you are requesting is indeed proprietary (as many members have deduced) and we have invested a great deal of resources in R&D for this system. It is our policy to protect the information that we have invested so much time and money in. Ask yourself, why would we share this information with our competition? No matter what data we provide, there will be some people that will spend all of their time and energy trying to start a debate. We have a great system for the 5th Gen Camaro and now for the 6th Gen Camaro. We stand behind our quality products and their proven results. Hopefully, you will start to become a more positive and productive member of this valued forum going forward. We want to thank all of our loyal customers and fans for your continued support!
Well said
Medic701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:40 PM   #78
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic701 View Post
Well said
I've had a blast today. It was interesting to see how people respond and more importantly how people that want your $ respond. It was insightful. People would rather risk getting taken of their hard earned money than demand the facts about something and potentially be let down by the truth.

I hope that the CAI intake is legit and is providing gains because of measurable increased cylinder air mass and not other side effects. The manufacturer won't tell you one way or another but sooner or later someone will go test it properly and we will know. I'd love to do it myself but my $ will go to the supplier willing to prove it fixes a specific issue found in the stock unit.

Thanks for playing
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:25 PM   #79
Richie Carbone

Drives: My work van for now
Richie Carbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:59 PM   #80
brutusvk

Drives: future 2016 SS
We are talking about a cold air intake here. It is not a turbo or supercharger. It will not make your car suddenly into a beast. It will look cool and sound better. I call that a win. There are a lot of really bitter folks here. And to think I got jumped on for having issues with GM. lol
brutusvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:05 PM   #81
Sales @ CAI Inc

The orders are coming in! Thanks to all of you guys for your support!
Old 03-08-2016, 04:44 PM   #82
i007spectre

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2008 HHR ECTO-2H
Ill probably be down for one in a few months.
3000 - 9/30
3100 - 10/27
3300 - 10/28
3400 - 10/29 TPW 11/09
3800 - 11/10
4300 - 11/24
4B00 - 11/25
4200 - 12/5
5000 - 12/7
6000 - 12/11
i007spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:43 PM   #83
AlwaysAmerican

Drives: 15 Silverado, 15 Corvette 2LT Z51
So, when should we start seeing these shipped?
Old 03-18-2016, 09:13 PM   #84
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
thier dyno shows a nice increase across the board, they dyno with the hood closed. If they fudged the dyno, they would pay the price in loss sales and rep. I think I have to give the benefit of the doubt to the mfg. they are the heart of capitalism, they know their business and their customers.

Now to the MAF readings. Check the stock air box it is VERY tight between the filter and the round exit tube to the MAF, the laminar flow at the top of the box has to be slow, Also the filter is so tight against the tube air entering close to the base has to fight with the air entering furthest from the base all this from only one direction. Literall all the air going past the filter has to make a 90 degree bend and fight their way into the tube leading to the MAF; Also, the stock hole into the CAI duct is hideously small and probably has a helmholts resonation chamber stuck under there. I would consider the flow especially after the flex bellows (yes I know it is after the MAF), chaotic.

Enter in a cone filter with a built in velocity stack, here the laminar flow has a gentle turn into the tube, the filter supplies the velocity stack with 360 air x the length of the cone. The air entering the top of the cone has a lot of time and room to fall toward the middle of the cone all 360 degrees.

The heat shield lets in air not only from the way too small IMO bumper but all the other areas around the fender (away from the engine compartment). So the air filter is supplied by a nice 360 degree x length of cone air supply. The air after the MAF is via smooth tube which leads to less turbulence, which is important to do before the 90 degree bend before the TB.

Why does MAF not read much change or maybe even no change at all in the aggregate?
The MAF is stuck out in the middle of this and that flow might not change much. This bares NO relationship to the flow on the perimeter of the MAF tube. It also bares no relationship to the quality or linearity / homogeneous of flow. We are talking 10 HP of 2.2% gain in HP vs a flat panel heck of thick (check it yourself) filter. Heck back in the LS1 days just changing the OEM filter to a Fram cheapo filter picked up 2 to 3 HP.

I hope this answers some of your questions as their are guys that are data driven, and there are results driven guys. A cone with a box has been shown a million times now to produce more HP than a factory heck a thick flat filter. I highly doubt that this would be literally the first instance ever that it does not happen.
http://www.coldairinductions.com/che...air-intake-152
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 03-19-2016 at 10:54 AM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6th gen camaro, 6th gen intake, camaro intake, camaro6, hyper blue