Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-23-2020, 12:59 AM   #1
Nick801

Drives: ‘18 Camaro 2SS
First oil change soon - 5w30 or 0w40

I am googling around everywhere and getting mixed answers and getting recommended from the factory 5w-30 on Amsoil's website when sort by car. Which is the best one to go with? I am also from Pennsylvania so currently dealing with the winter cold months at the moment if that comes into some winter month consideration. Semi-daily it during the cold months.
Nick801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:32 AM   #2
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
what does it say on your cap. that's what you go with. Your owners manual says too for different temps but PA doesnt see temps low enough to change weight. what temps are you seeing there? the tires the SS comes with are not supposed to be driven on below 35 degrees. Its BS GM wont tell people this. Someday they will get sued when someone wrecks and figures it out.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:43 AM   #3
Nick801

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
what does it say on your cap. that's what you go with. Your owners manual says too for different temps but PA doesnt see temps low enough to change weight. what temps are you seeing there? the tires the SS comes with are not supposed to be driven on below 35 degrees. Its BS GM wont tell people this. Someday they will get sued when someone wrecks and figures it out.

I am pretty sure the cap says 5w-30 and temps here get average like 30? maybe 15s in late january lol. but i just hear debates of people going over to a 0w-40 dexos oil since its supposedly better? But i am looking into this Amsoil 5w-30 signature series right? or the XL?
Old 12-23-2020, 03:48 AM   #4
JCunningham

I use 5w30 Signature. Just stick with that. if your going to drive in the winter get some snow tires. the factory are summer only and will have no traction in the snow and barely any from the cold on dry pavement. They can also crack if driven on below 35.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 12-23-2020, 04:14 AM   #5
Nick801

Quote:
I use 5w30 Signature. Just stick with that. if your going to drive in the winter get some snow tires. the factory are summer only and will have no traction in the snow and barely any from the cold on dry pavement. They can also crack if driven on below 35.
Ah alright thanks for the info, ill probably start ordering up then oil. Maybe hopefully find an amsoil seller nearby to me. I got rid of the run flats and all but currently on performance tires still. Have firestone indy 500s on front, and nitto nt05s on rear. I should invest into a 2nd set someday though for cold weather months like the DWS06 tires i hear are good? I got my backup SUV though for rainy days/snow on ground of course.
Old 12-23-2020, 04:23 AM   #6
JCunningham

For $16 a year you can get Amsoil direct from Amsoil at dealer cost.
Old 12-23-2020, 05:55 AM   #7
Invertalon

Drives: 2021 2SS
Simple as...

5W30 if you are just using your car for street use (Dexos 1, Gen 2)

0W40 if you will be doing any track time (Dexos 2).

Last edited by Invertalon; 12-23-2020 at 06:09 AM.
Invertalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:23 AM   #8
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Quote:
Its a shame GM doesn't write an owners manual.

WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:31 AM   #9
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Quote:

WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:45 AM   #10
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
You know what? I bought into the forum hype and switched to the 0w40 for the LT4 in my 2018 ZL1. I even replaced the oil cap under my hood with the 0w40 one.

Yet, when my oil pump failed and the dealership replaced it, they filled it back up with 5w30.

I am done listening to the forum in regards to oil. 0w40 is hype. I know longer believe in it.

OP, stick with the 5w30.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:46 AM   #11
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
I chose Pennzoil's best synthetic 5W30 dexos 1 Gen 2 since I'm 99.9% street
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.

Last edited by JSH; 12-23-2020 at 08:05 AM.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:50 AM   #12
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post

Clearly spelled out in the owners manual. So if you can sue for not reading the owners manual you might have a point......but not reading it doesn’t put the fault on the OEM.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:00 AM   #13
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick801 View Post
Ah alright thanks for the info, ill probably start ordering up then oil. Maybe hopefully find an amsoil seller nearby to me. I got rid of the run flats and all but currently on performance tires still. Have firestone indy 500s on front, and nitto nt05s on rear. I should invest into a 2nd set someday though for cold weather months like the DWS06 tires i hear are good? I got my backup SUV though for rainy days/snow on ground of course.
I have DWS06's and they are great in the midwest winters. Good in rain and decent in the dry. I love them. You need to get those performance tires off ASAP. You risk ruining them in this weather.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:20 AM   #14
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
I have DWS06's and they are great in the midwest winters. Good in rain and decent in the dry. I love them. You need to get those performance tires off ASAP. You risk ruining them in this weather.
I had those tires on my SS sedan. Great winter tire. Was going to leave them on in the summer but sold the car. Noticeable performance difference over the Bridgestone Summers but the Continenatals were quieter and road better and for 80% level driving they were fine.