Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 10-28-2019, 10:51 PM   #1
miatatony

Drives: 17' V6 1LE
Very bad outside shoulder wear, tires too wide for rim?

I have a 2017 v6 1le Camaro, I believe my front wheels are 8.5in wide correct me if I'm wrong. Currently have 265 width Advan a052 tires on them.

Camber -3.0f -2.0r.

Hotchkis sway bars front and back with BMR end links.

My issue is partly due to my overdriving for sure, but essentially my front right tire (local track runs ccw) outside shoulder is nearly down to the cords after 12 heat cycles or only two track days, my previous set lasted about the same...the inside shoulder block looks nearly brand new.

This issue has been driving me nuts lately, I've gotten 4 alignments in the last 3 months, zero toe up front. I could use more camber but I don't feel this is normal given my setup as it is.

The only thing I can think of is that the tire seems very wide for the rim, it has a noticeable bulge and the width of the tire extends past the rim.

Using the little arrow marker on the sidewalk as an indicator of rollover, I've had to keep my pressures around 39psi hot to prevent rollover, if I go below 36psi hot that arrow disappears after one session...

I'm wondering what your guys thoughts are, I've heard this specific model of tire wears the outside shoulder fast but I'm thinking I have to have some other kind of problem. Would this issue be solved if I got a narrower tire at all? Or is this just normal? I might just have to go with cheaper tires next time as I've gone through two sets in 5 track days and they're not cheap in 20" diameter :/
miatatony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:39 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
How did u get -3 ? With camber plates or ?
Old 10-29-2019, 12:49 AM   #3
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Too a wide a tire for the rim will contribue to it, a tire with a soft sidewall - which will roll under load - will do it, too stiff a front bar will transfer weight to outside front too fast and may do it. Of course over driving and causing excessive understeer on entry will also kill tires quickly.
Just some thoughts for you to consider.
If i were you id pick a tire of the right size for the rim and with stiff sidewall and see if the problem goes away.
3 camber should be more than enough. I run 2.6 and get perfect wear. Albeit an ss 1le. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:28 AM   #4
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Could also be under inflated.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:44 AM   #5
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Something is wrong if your outside shoulder is wearing at -3 the inside should be wearing faster, just my 2 cents.
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:58 AM   #6
miatatony

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
How did u get -3 ? With camber plates or ?
Vorshlag camber plates, going to ask the local shop to try for -3.5 next time but the wear pattern is so drastic I think something else is having a bigger effect
Old 10-29-2019, 09:02 AM   #7
miatatony

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Too a wide a tire for the rim will contribue to it, a tire with a soft sidewall - which will roll under load - will do it, too stiff a front bar will transfer weight to outside front too fast and may do it. Of course over driving and causing excessive understeer on entry will also kill tires quickly.
Just some thoughts for you to consider.
If i were you id pick a tire of the right size for the rim and with stiff sidewall and see if the problem goes away.
3 camber should be more than enough. I run 2.6 and get perfect wear. Albeit an ss 1le. Cheers!

Thanks for the input, it's surprising you get such even wear with -2.6f up front, that definitely shows I probably have something else going on, I'll probably try softening the bar up front to help get rid of the understeer I have, hopefully my next set of tires in a narrower size will help some as well
Old 10-29-2019, 09:07 AM   #8
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
A052's run wide to start with, a 265 is way too wide for an 8.5. If you put that tire on a '10 wide Apex wheel, it would wear perfectly @ -3.0 camber. Also, make sure you flip your fronts side to extend your tire life (or corner to corner if you run a square setup).
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:37 AM   #9
miatatony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
A052's run wide to start with, a 265 is way too wide for an 8.5. If you put that tire on a '10 wide Apex wheel, it would wear perfectly @ -3.0 camber. Also, make sure you flip your fronts side to extend your tire life (or corner to corner if you run a square setup).
Thanks that confirms my thoughts, hopefully ill get one more day out of them after I flip them.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:58 AM   #10
TrackClub

Indeed, i would trust Provoste's advice implicitly as he is one of the VERY best here (and as I recall runs his camber less then 3 even with slicks - if my memory serves me right). As to my wear, it is close to perfect: see pic and note cords on the INSIDE. I know folks that run 3.5 (why i dont know) and cord insides in a day - food for thought once you switch to correct tire size for your rims.
Cheers!
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2019, 12:39 PM   #11
miatatony

Wow that is amazingly even wear. Here's a phot of mine just for reference

https://i.imgur.com/ayhbmdZ.jpg
Old 10-29-2019, 12:49 PM   #12
Junkyardspecial

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Those tires are a size or two, too large I would back them down, The sidewall is most likely collapsing under heavy load and causing the outer edge to scrub more than needed.

Will buy your GoodYear Supercar 3R Take offs!
Junkyardspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:47 PM   #13
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatatony View Post
Wow that is amazingly even wear. Here's a phot of mine just for reference

https://i.imgur.com/ayhbmdZ.jpg
Per Provoste's suggestion, I'd go to properly sized tire and see what happens without touching anything else.
If you decided to soften the F bar as step 2, dont forget to do the same for the R bar, lest the balance may swing towards oversteer, which is not much fun to deal with.