Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-28-2016, 12:34 PM   #57
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1

I love TOTD as I have a vacation home about an hour away BUT even when I am just driving it casually, other drivers can put you at serious risk. I don't want to be a kill joy but I do think it is important to remember TOTD is a public road with a posted 30MPH and pushing it can cost you more than money.

If you do not have HPD experience, PLEASE do yourself a favor and take a HPD course. Spend the money. It is worth every dime. Then limit your HPD experiences to dedicated tracks designed for such driving. With manufacturers building cars that exceed most drivers capabilities to properly control, it is extremely important to understand you are driving a car that can do more than you might be able to handle and don't let your ego write checks your a$$ can't cash.

If I am correct, Porsche and Vette actually offer (or did) HPD driving courses your could purchase because they new that the car that was being bought was capable of outperforming the driver. Well, these newer Camaros (specifically the Z series) are in that realm now so just be careful out there.

Sorry for this somber PSA, now back to your regular chat channel.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:44 PM   #58
Nawambo

Drives: 2023 Kia EV6 GT (577hp!)
Agree, good sir. And, yes, I'd certainly endorse other owners to take HPD courses. I've been loving those experiences since 2010.
2013 Boss 302 (Sold)
2006 STI (Sold)
Track and Rally Partners
Nawambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:50 PM   #59
trz174

Drives: Used to Drive Blue Camaros
Tail of the Dragon is a ball as long as you respect the speed limits and recognize that there are many, many other folks driving the road. There is no need to go past the speed limt to have a great time and get sweaty. Stay focused and don't get lazy when you think you are about done. Stay in a low gear and let the engine do the work. Stay IN YOUR LANE and respect those that choose pass at "holy cow" speeds. Use the pull off's to let the folks on your bumper have their day. Pull off's are on the right going south and not so much going north.
trz174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:05 PM   #60
szalkerous

Drives: 99 Z28 M6 / 15 Silverado LTZ Z71 CC
Really love to know why they don't close ToTD to commercial traffic. It's obviously a hazard to the roadways in general, regardless if it's spirited driving or careful cruising.
szalkerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:34 AM   #61
Glowtieboi

Drives: Mosaic black 2SS
Is this thread dead? I'm in a predicament. I own a 16 2SS. Love it. My baby. I came across a 13 ZL1 optioned how I would want it for 44 out the door. I absolutely wouldn't get rid of my 16. My question is, would it be smart to own Both? Pros & tons? My 16 isn't my DD and while I'm no fan of the interior, it's much easier to accept, given it will my 3rd car and pretty much a big toy for me. Thoughts? I would love the insight.
Glowtieboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:59 AM   #62
HCT

Drives: Charger Hellcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowtieboi View Post
My question is, would it be smart to own Both?
Hell no. If you have an extra $44K laying around ask yourself a few questions: got a mortgage? Consider paying that down instead. Is your retirement account fully funded? If not put it in your IRA or 401K. Do you have kids? Want to avoid them taking on crippling debt to go to college? Then put the money in a 529 plan instead. Those are the smart options.

Smart is not having two nearly identical cars. Pick one.
HCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #63
clanky
Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro 2S

Drives: 16 Hyper Blue2SS NPP MagRide 6M NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCT View Post
Hell no. If you have an extra $44K laying around ask yourself a few questions: got a mortgage? Consider paying that down instead. Is your retirement account fully funded? If not put it in your IRA or 401K. Do you have kids? Want to avoid them taking on crippling debt to go to college? Then put the money in a 529 plan instead. Those are the smart options.

Smart is not having two nearly identical cars. Pick one.
+1 For this guy. Unless you have just stupid money to blow on whatever whenever I would do one of the options this guy listed or pretty much anything else.
clanky is offline   Reply With Quote