Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-27-2021, 09:49 AM   #43
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Nothing wrong with what you want to do however if you do plan to track the car on a road course though, you will want to keep the heat exchanger in the IC loop and use a bypass valve, that's per recommendation from Kirk at FI Interchillers. The chiller does a great job though for daily driving and drag racing.
Yes, I did read that as well. But he said maybe and I certainly will talk to him extensively about this (track layout (lots of places on this track are WOT for a stretch), usual temps on the track surface, etc). I also noticed CSP installed one of FI's interchillers 2 years ago. I've already written to Alex to get his opinions and observation and his thinking. FI seems to have their sh!t together, which is what I like in an operation. Another option about "keeping the exchanger with a valve".... since there are 2 exchangers, big and small, IF it turns out it would it be better to run the bypass, should I keep both, or only one, and then which one? So what I will probably do is I'm buying my lift the first week of March. So I might be able to change the plumbing around to see which works best. none, one, or two, on the track. And then I'll report back here and let everybody know the results. Because I believe this is the future in performance cooling the IATs. In fact, since Dodge is already doing it, the future is here. We need to catch up. By the way, I saw your temps, how was FI's system? How was the AC? Did it have problems after a while? Did it lose it's cooling capacity after some time?
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:59 AM   #44
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post

I was starting to believe this thread turned into a war zone with all this arguments. All I wanted to do his help some fellow Zl1 owners. I'm not getting nothing out of this I was going to pay full price but I figured let's try and get some discount.
Sorry about the sarcastic bullet points out loud..... But I hate when people tell me what I'm thinking or what I'm doing when they don't have a clue. On the other hand, I'm amazed if they're right...
Old 02-27-2021, 10:11 AM   #45
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangkok_ZL1 View Post
Sorry about the sarcastic bullet points out loud..... But I hate when people tell me what I'm thinking or what I'm doing when they don't have a clue. On the other hand, I'm amazed if they're right...
No worries I totally agree with you,plus your not the only one on this forum that has had issues with him.

I was very close to buying FI chiller but I decided to wait because most guys using then including CSP are for drag strip. I believe I could definitely be wrong that it will not perform as good on cooling the car snice roughly your 20min on the track giving it your all. And it doesn't have a break like if your at the strip.
20Bluezl1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:28 AM   #46
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post

I was very close to buying FI chiller but I decided to wait because most guys using then including CSP are for drag strip. I believe I could definitely be wrong that it will not perform as good on cooling the car snice roughly your 20min on the track giving it your all. And it doesn't have a break like if your at the strip.
I will definitely defer the capability of the chiller on the track to the professionals. If they say it's awesome and it will keep my IATs below a hundred, I'm in. Thai heat is different from the states for some reason. I don't know why, but even when it's not super hot, the sun still scorches you and especially the pavement, or the body of your car. It can be 75-80 and the asphalt will feel like 120. Anyways, I have to talk to the men at the company. I'll make my decisions from there.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:40 AM   #47
20Bluezl1

Quote:
I will definitely defer the capability of the chiller on the track to the professionals. If they say it's awesome and it will keep my IATs below a hundred, I'm in. Thai heat is different from the states for some reason. I don't know why, but even when it's not super hot, the sun still scorches you and especially the pavement, or the body of your car. It can be 75-80 and the asphalt will feel like 120. Anyways, I have to talk to the men at the company. I'll make my decisions from there.

That sounds like a plan and I'm interested to see what they tell you. If they say it will work and keep you IAT down I will also go that route.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:45 AM   #48
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Yes, I did read that as well. But he said maybe and I certainly will talk to him extensively about this (track layout (lots of places on this track are WOT for a stretch), usual temps on the track surface, etc). I also noticed CSP installed one of FI's interchillers 2 years ago. I've already written to Alex to get his opinions and observation and his thinking. FI seems to have their sh!t together, which is what I like in an operation. Another option about "keeping the exchanger with a valve".... since there are 2 exchangers, big and small, IF it turns out it would it be better to run the bypass, should I keep both, or only one, and then which one? So what I will probably do is I'm buying my lift the first week of March. So I might be able to change the plumbing around to see which works best. none, one, or two, on the track. And then I'll report back here and let everybody know the results. Because I believe this is the future in performance cooling the IATs. In fact, since Dodge is already doing it, the future is here. We need to catch up. By the way, I saw your temps, how was FI's system? How was the AC? Did it have problems after a while? Did it lose it's cooling capacity after some time?

The FII system is the best available, its a very nice kit compared to the cheaper and less effective Killer Chiller kit.. No issues with the AC, cooled just as well as stock.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 05:09 PM   #49
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Sorry Partner. But I believe if you knew who gave me this advice, you'd probably retract the above. He is a very very very very well respected professional tuner on this forum, who I'm listening to 100% because I know my ZL1 knowledge is extremely limited. The only reason I'm not listing his shop is because I don't want to cause animosity on the forum. He gave me advice on the expansion chamber ONLY. I have yet to ask him about the interchiller. However, from where I live, I'm pretty dead set on doing it. I hope he'll agree. And then I'm going to suggest rerouting the plumbing of the "deleted heat exchangers into the largest radiator that ever existed. Then I don't have spend a grand to upgrade my radiator either. The interchiller will pay for itself that way. I don't have to pay for upgraded heat exchangers, which would be another grand, I also don't have to pay for spacers, blanket, expansion chambers, nothing. I like this idea all together. The interchiller company that I'm serious about is fiinterchiller.com. 1850 bucks and I'll be driving around with 40 degree IATs without a heat exchanger and it's warrantied!. And "IF" I get to plumb the system like I want, I'm definitely not an expert on the ZL1 yet, the "deleted" heat exchangers will be plumbed to become the largest Radiator system this side of the planet. The right or left (I don't know) heat exchanger is already connected to the radiator I believe. So I'm assuming the center and other side can join the engine coolant party. We'll see I guess. I buy my lift in a few days and I'm going to need it with all the mods I'm doing.
I agree with the merits of the interchiller system and understand their purpose and effectiveness. Some of the information listed in your initial post concerning the 200° Dexcool is a bit delusional. Go for the interchiller and I wish you the best. For most here, this simple reservoir will suffice and prove to keep air pockets out of the intercooler circuit, increase capacity, and allow refilling with ease.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 05:12 PM   #50
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
I agree with the merits of the interchiller system and understand their purpose and effectiveness. Some of your information listed in your initial post concerning the 200° Dexcool is a bit delusional. Go for the interchiller and I wish you the best. For most here, this simple reservoir will suffice and prove to keep air pockets out of the intercooler circuit, increase capacity, and allow refilling with ease.
Agreed here, no harm in having an aux tank. Tthe Hellcat's have one from the factory too even with the factory chiller from 2019+.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:22 PM   #51
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
So a $30 OEM tank w 10x markup or is there more ?

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:02 PM   #52
20Bluezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
So a $30 OEM tank w 10x markup or is there more ?
Yea besides the brackets and hoses and fittings and trying to put everything together.

There is a thread somewhere here that explains how you can put together a kit for around $60 but it's using the old magnuson black tank.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:54 PM   #53
rpryor495

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I’m in. Will order Monday.
rpryor495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:31 PM   #54
20Bluezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpryor495 View Post
I’m in. Will order Monday.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:40 PM   #55
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
I'm interested.

For clarification; free shipping + $40 off to all 50 states.

If that's the case, I'm in as well.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:52 PM   #56
20Bluezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
I'm interested.

For clarification; free shipping + $40 off to all 50 states.

If that's the case, I'm in as well.
Yes $40 off if we get 10 guys to buy if not we only get a $25 discount. I'll put you down so far we have 8 so we should be good for 10 .