Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-06-2020, 04:15 PM   #141
Dave777

Drives: 1985 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Some of you may be missing my point. I am not saying GM needs to replace the springs in all of them. Just the engines they know the defective springs went into. They know exactly which engine every spring went into and the VIN numbers of every car or truck those engines went into. Every part has a QR code that is scanned during assembly for situations exactly like this.

I agree 1000000%
Dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:17 PM   #142
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
280 miles and no BOOM yet.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 02:32 PM   #143
Dave777

I’m considering buying a 2021 2SS 1LE and now I’m getting second thoughts....

I saw a YouTube video of a guy with a 2016 SS with a broken valve spring, luckily the valve did not drop into the cylinder.
Old 11-11-2020, 02:44 PM   #144
davidwarren

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE
I have a 2019 SS 1LE and blew my engine at Road America with 6,000 miles on it. It was replaced and back in my hands about three weeks later!
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:31 PM   #145
3.8TransAM

Drives: SS 1LE, 89 TTA, 91 GTA, 91 Formula
Reading threads like this makes me wonder a few things....

How many people here ever turned wrenches for a living and I mean for like a decade, not one time at band camp?

How many people here that aren't mechanics have done true heavy lifting, like actually building an engine or a transmission?

Or barring the above two, rebuild a vehicle in near total minus farming out the above mentioned stuff?

There is no such thing as quality anymore, dismiss it from your mind. There is no such thing as customer service either. Cheapest way to fix xxx issue will always win in the end regardless of company or item purchased.

The biggest factor will be having a spine and following it thru. If they make it right in a reasonable amount of time, fine, if not, get yourself a new car out of it :-) As a side note, document every contact you make and phone call made in either direction as well as exactly what you are told during the process.
3.8TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 04:42 PM   #146
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.8TransAM View Post

How many people here ever turned wrenches for a living and I mean for like a decade, not one time at band camp?

How many people here that aren't mechanics have done true heavy lifting, like actually building an engine or a transmission?

Or barring the above two, rebuild a vehicle in near total minus farming out the above mentioned stuff?

There is no such thing as quality anymore, dismiss it from your mind. There is no such thing as customer service either. Cheapest way to fix xxx issue will always win in the end regardless of company or item purchased.

The biggest factor will be having a spine and following it thru. If they make it right in a reasonable amount of time, fine, if not, get yourself a new car out of it :-) As a side note, document every contact you make and phone call made in either direction as well as exactly what you are told during the process.
There is still quality - when you do it yourself. Relying on businesses is the problem and you’re exactly right with that.

Problem is you can’t do it yourself when it’s under factory warranty.

Well, actually you could. And you wouldn’t be buying GM’s springs. Buy a nice set of high performance aftermarket springs and you’re all set
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:06 PM   #147
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Damn this stuff gets old. Current new cars are leaps and bounds ahead of older cars in terms of quality, durability, whatever you want to call it. They go multiple times farther before getting ready for the salvage yard, and require many times less service during that time, than cars of several decades ago. Quality control is also way, way better and the testing they endure would have been unthinkable not that long ago.

This is just stupid. Because a few LT1s have had a bad valvespring and GM has fixed every one, that means quality doesn't exist anymore and everyone should rethink their plans to purchase a 21 Camaro? People are just immensely, incredibly bad at predicting and understanding risk and data.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:46 PM   #148
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
Damn this stuff gets old. Current new cars are leaps and bounds ahead of older cars in terms of quality, durability, whatever you want to call it. They go multiple times farther before getting ready for the salvage yard, and require many times less service during that time, than cars of several decades ago. Quality control is also way, way better and the testing they endure would have been unthinkable not that long ago.

This is just stupid. Because a few LT1s have had a bad valvespring and GM has fixed every one, that means quality doesn't exist anymore and everyone should rethink their plans to purchase a 21 Camaro? People are just immensely, incredibly bad at predicting and understanding risk and data.
Because $40k+ is a lot of people’s heart earned money and they’re free to speak with it.

That article is akin to saying kids should graduate high school even though they failed math just because the tests were hard.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:00 PM   #149
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

Drives: 2020 red hot 1SS 1LE
Quote:

I agree with a lot of what he said. I bought a 1LE smack dab in the middle of the dates according to the TSB. I don’t care. I’m going to enjoy the car!! If it happens it happens. I know it will suck if (worst case) I blow the motor over it but I’ll survive and it will get fixed.
Venomcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:26 PM   #150
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.8TransAM View Post

I don't turn wrenches for a living, but I've been turning wrenches on cars and trucks for many years. It's fun and you learn a lot. In many cases, I had to work in rather primitive conditions, not some fully equipped shop with lots of help. That taught me a lot and made be a better mechanic..err...wrench turner IMO.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:46 PM   #151
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
300 miles and still fine. I have my fingers crossed. I expect to hear a BOOM anytime in the back of my head.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:48 PM   #152
3.8TransAM

Drives: SS 1LE, 89 TTA, 91 GTA, 91 Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
I don't turn wrenches for a living, but I've been turning wrenches on cars and trucks for many years. It's fun and you learn a lot. In many cases, I had to work in rather primitive conditions, not some fully equipped shop with lots of help. That taught me a lot and made be a better mechanic..err...wrench turner IMO.

I was a dealer tech for 10+ years and I always got to hear about how I had access to XYZ or a lift and on and on.

Reality was I was doing my own stuff in my garage or out in the driveway with the car on jackstands like everyone else I was doing shade tree before I ever got any official training. I enjoyed it, I was pretty good at it, but finding a good place to work is hard indeed anymore. If AutoNation scumbags are your local dealer or buy a dealer you work at run, run far far away.

Everything has issues, its simple in the end, you fix it in a timely manner or make arrangements if its going to be a long time or just give me a new car and be done with it. It was always a good day at work when an engineer in the UK for Jaguar was telling me on the phone I can't be seeing what I'm seeing while I'm working on a car...... Been there done that.
3.8TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:28 PM   #153
Dave777

Quote:

What about the new C8 Vettes with valve spring problems ???

Old 11-12-2020, 07:52 PM   #154
Midnight Rat

Drives: SS 1LE
Midnight Rat is offline   Reply With Quote