Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - Great Lakes

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #1
SR 33

Drives: 2016 1LT - SIM
Illinois front plate

i've always hated having front plates on but never had a car where I cared before lol. So I was doing some research on the exact wording of the law and came across this:

https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/p...ns/vsd7001.pdf

Sounds like the only requirements are that it has to be visible from the front, securely fastened, horizontal, and more than 12" off the ground measured to the bottom of the plate.

I've seen cars with plates in the windshield, either propped on the dash or attached to the passenger visor and was wondering if anyone had done that and whether they ever got harassed for it lol. To me it sounds like a good way to get harassed without technically being illegal
SR 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:45 PM   #2
CyberGuyPR

Drives: '16 vert 2LT RS NPP
How are you going to "securely fasten" it inside the windshield? Besides, to me a sharp piece of metal lose in the cabin sounds like a recipe for disaster. Also, keep in mind that if it gets to court the judge has most likely heard every single excuse in the book 20 times over. How would you answer "sir, why was the plate not attached to your bumper?" Finally, I am sure having it inside is against the spirit of the law and you wouldn't win that battle. The would most likely hang on to the "free from any materials that would obstruct the visibility of the plate" since technically the glass alter visibility to some minuscule extent.

I got a new car when I was living in IL and knew I would move to IN within 6 months. I gambled by using a Show-N-Go that I always kept retracted. I got stopped 3 times and always pulled the "Sorry, I washed the car and forgot to pull it out".
CyberGuyPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:43 PM   #3
13Rubicon10A

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue RS,V6,A8,2LT,NPP
I used to have a motorcycle cop as a next door neighbor, he told me they didn't hassle cars like Corvettes and Porches about front license plates. I have had my Camaro for six months and haven't had any issues. I don't live in Illinois however, maybe Oregon is more forgiving about front plates.
13Rubicon10A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:00 AM   #4
SR 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGuyPR View Post
How are you going to "securely fasten" it inside the windshield? Besides, to me a sharp piece of metal lose in the cabin sounds like a recipe for disaster. Also, keep in mind that if it gets to court the judge has most likely heard every single excuse in the book 20 times over. How would you answer "sir, why was the plate not attached to your bumper?" Finally, I am sure having it inside is against the spirit of the law and you wouldn't win that battle. The would most likely hang on to the "free from any materials that would obstruct the visibility of the plate" since technically the glass alter visibility to some minuscule extent.

I got a new car when I was living in IL and knew I would move to IN within 6 months. I gambled by using a Show-N-Go that I always kept retracted. I got stopped 3 times and always pulled the "Sorry, I washed the car and forgot to pull it out".
I accept that if given a ticket for it, that it would be a very hard thing to get out of since it's dancing a fine line. As far as being "securely fastened" goes, I feel like perhaps using some pieces such as the iPass Velcro in the corner of the windshield would suffice. And I agree, I think the "visible from the front" part would be the sticking point.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:42 PM   #5
Tim Adams

Drives: 2020 Elkhart Lake Blue 1LT Z51 C8
So far so good for me. I have no intention of putting one on. Had my 5th Gen from 2009-2016 with no front plate and never got stopped. Right now it is sitting on my kitchen table.

2020 C8 ordered!!

"The greatest sound in the world is a Rolls Royce Merlin over 100 inches"

www.timadamsphotography.com
Tim Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:36 PM   #6
SR 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Adams View Post
So far so good for me. I have no intention of putting one on. Had my 5th Gen from 2009-2016 with no front plate and never got stopped. Right now it is sitting on my kitchen table.
Good to know haha. I'm in minooka as well
Old 03-14-2017, 07:12 PM   #7
Yellow6thGen
18 ZL1 A10 Convertible

Drives: White ZL1 Convertible
Never put mine on my 2 5th Gens and the only ticket I ever received was in a parking garage downtown Chicago and let's just say I've been pulled,over a few times....but No tickets.

2018 ZL1 Convertible A10 @ Kooks R&D.
Yellow6thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:39 AM   #8
1LE caSSper

Drives: White 1LE
This is how it's securely fastened 12" off the ground clearly visible from the front of the vehicle :]
Attached Images

1LE caSSper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #9
v111pilot

Drives: '16 2SS
As a heads up, Chicago can and WILL ticket your parked car for no front license plate at Chicago O'Hare and Midway Airport city owned parking lots. Even if you are nosed in against a wall or landscaping. Probably the same anywhere downtown.
v111pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:30 PM   #10
SR 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by v111pilot View Post
As a heads up, Chicago can and WILL ticket your parked car for no front license plate at Chicago O'Hare and Midway Airport city owned parking lots. Even if you are nosed in against a wall or landscaping. Probably the same anywhere downtown.
Yeah they are asshats at airport lots, it's ridiculous
Old 05-29-2017, 03:39 PM   #11
Tomiboy

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
I haven't run a front plate in 27 years.

One verbal warning when going through a road block in Bolingbrook to check for city stickers!!
Tomiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:16 PM   #12
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Re-read the link you posted, "in a place and position to be clearly visible and shall
be maintained in a condition to be clearly legible, free from any materials that would obstruct the visibility
of the plate, including, but not limited to, glass covers and tinted plastic covers. Clear plastic covers are
permissible as long as they remain clear and do not obstruct the visibility of the plates." If you mount it upright from the top of your headliner inside the car, the tinted band at the top of the windshield is obscuring it. Ticket. If you lay it on your dash at an angle, it is then not clearly visible because its hard to see the entire plate at that angle. Ticket.

Minnesota has almost the exact same verbiage as Illinois, I know a few cops and have talked with them about this. I don't run a front plate at all, never did on my Vette or other Camaro. In general, they don't bother stopping people with nice cars because of no plate, but if they stop you for another violation, they will generally ticket you for no front plate too. Also, the license plate behind the windshield is not clearly visible and actually attracts more attention from them than running no plate at all. Reason being is they notice that and know it doesn't meet the requirement. All they have to say is that glare off of the windshield prevented them from seeing the plate clearly and you will lose every time.

I've been running without a plate close to 20 years, never once been given a ticket, was stopped once for speeding without the plate and this is what I told the officer when he asked about it: "I was coming back from a car show and forgot to put it on. I have it in the trunk and could put it on right now if you want me to". We were on a busy highway he said "don't bother, too dangerous to do on the highway here, just put it on when you get home". I do have the plate in my trunk with the tow hook mount all ready to go and also did this with my other Camaro and Corvette in case they asked to see it or have me put it on. You have to be able to back up your bluff.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:32 AM   #13
Coach Mike

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible, 1978 Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino74 View Post
When I picked up "Beast" it did not come with a front bracket at all, remembering being harassed over this as a teenager, I decided I needed one. I picked up a sto-n-show from Amazon for $85 and it was at my house later that day. Now I can pull a pin and remove it whenever I want.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
After getting pulled over three days after bringing the car home for no plate only, I ordered this one too. Not a problem now.
Coach Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:30 PM   #14
Lopedawgceta

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR 33 View Post
Good to know haha. I'm in minooka as well

I’m in Minooka as well. I know I’ve seen your car in town. This is me at family video:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lopedawgceta is offline   Reply With Quote