Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-06-2019, 01:41 PM   #1
redmuddman

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
CAI in the rain

Are you guys doing anything with your intakes for driving in the rain ? Drove mine for the first time in the rain today and there was a few drops around the filter. I have the Rotofab
redmuddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #2
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Things are made to get wet, you don't have to worry about anything.

If you are really concerned, you can buy a sock for the filter. But the only time water is bad is if the filter is submerged and the engine sucks up water. Nothing from the rain.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:20 PM   #3
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Depending on what filter or style you have for an intake you should worry about it.

If your using a box style intake like CAI, RotoFab etc then you really have nothing to worry about because water most likely won’t get sucked into the intake based on the style/ design.

If you have a deep fender drop style that typically is designed with no box and filter sits down far low like Injen , custom intakes or intakes commonly used on turbo set ups then you should take caution when it rains etc if driving.

I have a custom intake that sits low in fender near front of the grill. I use a Filter Wears brand sleeve on mine. I usually pop it on over the actual filter anytime I feel it looks like I may drive or get stuck in rain. The sleeves are only 15-25 bucks depending on what size/ style you need. They are designed to shed water right off the main filter and still allow air to enter. The concept was designed from motorcycle intakes with open filters.

You could use the Filter Wears sleeves also as a pre filter to make cleaning the actual filter a breeze because it traps debris preventing crap from clinging to the main filter.

In my region right now we have these annoying trees that emits tons of cotton ball fuss. This crap loves the intake on any style intake you got and you get tons of this crap stuck on your filter from usually June-August. I use the Filter Wears sleeve at all times during this time of year here. Takes 10 seconds to put on and off and by using the Filter Wears sleeve I don’t have to physically clean the actual filter. I just rinse off the filter sleeve.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:37 PM   #4
JaysSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
I've been DD with a Cold Air Inductions CAI for over a year now, roughly 25k miles. No noticeable issues and I have spent plenty of time on highway in the rain, snow and salt spray. Recent swapped for a new filter and no signs of abnormal wear.

When I first installed mine,Ii was concerned. Now I no longer worry.
JaysSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:48 PM   #5
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I daily drove my car with a vararam otr intake for a long time. Rain and snow were no problems for me with that style intake so your rotofab will be more than ok since it's got an airbox.

My problem now, as it was with the vararam, is bugs and other crap getting in the filter lol
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:28 PM   #6
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
I daily drove my car with a vararam otr intake for a long time. Rain and snow were no problems for me with that style intake so your rotofab will be more than ok since it's got an airbox.

My problem now, as it was with the vararam, is bugs and other crap getting in the filter lol
Yeah that’s a tough one based on the design. Totally forgot about the Varam styles type intakes. I never seen any type of pre filter for those. I bet you could get some 1” thick high flow filter floss and cut to size to use as a good pre filter.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:22 AM   #7
Vaddy2323

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
I've had my CAI Cold Air Intake for three years with no issues out here in harsh Minnesota environments, maybe because it is enclosed I don't have any issues with it.
Vaddy2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:47 AM   #8
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjellyfish212 View Post
Depending on what filter or style you have for an intake you should worry about it.

If your using a box style intake like CAI, RotoFab etc then you really have nothing to worry about because water most likely won’t get sucked into the intake based on the style/ design.

If you have a deep fender drop style that typically is designed with no box and filter sits down far low like Injen , custom intakes or intakes commonly used on turbo set ups then you should take caution when it rains etc if driving.
could not have said it better myself

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote