Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 03-16-2019, 11:12 AM   #1
JaysSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Post Driver Seat Heater Element Replacement

The back seat heater element had the wires fail twice now. Gen5 Camaro forums have been super helpful in "patch fixing" the element. But after a few more winters and several fixes, I have run out of usable leads to solder new wire to.

Alas, I had to replace the element.

I knew it was out of my comfort zone, but I needed the heat, this winter was too cold to live without it! So I decided to give it a try.

Here is a quick summary of my experience and a photo or 2:

Removed driver seat and brought inside to work.
Remove plastic side pieces.
Started peeling back the leather, just like how I did whenever trying to fix the old element's leads.
Now for the scary part, started to pull the leather back. It has Hog Rings...
I thought I could be clever (and cheap) and loosen the hog rings with needle nose pliers and re-use them when I was done.
Pulled the leather back enough to replace the element.
Stuck on the new element and cut some strips off the old one to add extra padding near the lead landing area.
Now, to re-use the hog rings. 100% unsuccessful. I should have purchased new rings and the proper tool. But I had to travel for work the next day, so I improvised.
I ended up tying the leather back down with hemp string, double knots too!
I know this may not last long term, but it is holding for now!

Butt is nice and toasty once more! I daily drive all over the Midwest, so creature comforts are important, almost as important as the throaty V8!

I hope this information finds others well, I am sure there are many other butt warmers out there that have failed.
Attached Images

JaysSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:17 PM   #2
mike12345
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro 1LT
Ah good write up I was just mentioning elsewhere that I replaced the factory seat covers which you can order. I ripped the bottom cushion cover and replaced.

I’m sure there are a lot of people buying cheap seat covers who would find this very useful as well.
mike12345 is offline   Reply With Quote