Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-18-2016, 12:49 AM   #1
Tritanium

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Keeping Car while in the Army?

Hi guys, I'm preparing to join the army in the next month or so. I am kind of worried though about what to do with my car. I'm 23(24 in April) and I have a 2014 2SS with basically every available option. I was making about $60,000 a year when I bought it and I feel like it's going to be very hard to keep it on military pay. I still owe $15,000 on it and my insurance is $350 a month.

I recently quit my job to really focus on preparing for the army which I plain to join in April/May. I saved up about $10,000 before I quit but my car cost me close to $1,000 a month(although my next payment isn't due until August). I don't really have any other major expenses, but depending on how long it takes me to ship I could run into trouble.

I know a lot of people are going to say sell the car, but that's not happening. I bought this car planning to have it for the rest of my life and I intend to keep it that way. Does it seem possible for me to keep it? I mean from what I understand you start out in the army at around $1,500 a month.
Tritanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:00 AM   #2
dmnhnters

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritanium View Post
Hi guys, I'm preparing to join the army in the next month or so. I am kind of worried though about what to do with my car. I'm 23(24 in April) and I have a 2014 2SS with basically every available option. I was making about $60,000 a year when I bought it and I feel like it's going to be very hard to keep it on military pay. I still owe $15,000 on it and my insurance is $350 a month.

I recently quit my job to really focus on preparing for the army which I plain to join in April/May. I saved up about $10,000 before I quit but my car cost me close to $1,000 a month(although my next payment isn't due until August). I don't really have any other major expenses, but depending on how long it takes me to ship I could run into trouble.

I know a lot of people are going to say sell the car, but that's not happening. I bought this car planning to have it for the rest of my life and I intend to keep it that way. Does it seem possible for me to keep it? I mean from what I understand you start out in the army at around $1,500 a month.
Just keep the car and have auto payments until you get done with basic/tech school because you're going to need a car regardless. Then you can take a weekend or leave to get it either during tech school or afterwards. If its stored in a garage you can drop your car insurance to only cover fire/theft which is about $20 a month give or take. When I was deployed I stored my car with a full tank of gas and fuel stabilizer for 7 months and when I came back everything was fine.
dmnhnters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:06 AM   #3
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
You will have to really budget, but it's possible. If you're single, your 'housing' will be taken care of (i.e. no rent/mortgage), you can eat in the dinning/mess hall for free and you initial set of uniforms will be provided free of charge. Additionally, if you get stationed overseas, you can store your car for free (or at least you used to be able to, might want to check on this). Regardless, if you store it you should be able to work with your insurance and lean companies to minimize your coverage.

Thanks for serving; I spent 29 years in the Air Force and it was great adventure and career ... best of luck to you

Old 02-18-2016, 03:37 AM   #4
derek1387

Drives: 2015 1LS Red V6
Thank you for serving!

Now...I would be checking on your insurance for sure...$350/mo is insanely high. Like...liter bike for an 18yr old high. You should be able to find something a little less pricey!

I hope you figure it out, good luck, and stay safe!
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

5th Gen V6 Performance Facebook Group
derek1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:09 AM   #5
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritanium View Post

$1,000 per month? Wow! That's going to be hard to swing on a E-1/E-2 salary. While I appreciate your upcoming service, I don't think I would have given up my $60K job just yet to do so... not until my auto loan was paid off. Once you are enlisted, go to USAA insurance and get rid of that ridiculous $350/month insurance rate. Either that, or store it somewhere until it's paid off. While stored, you should be able to drop the cost of insurance way down.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:50 AM   #6
cowboy casey

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Set up auto pay to take care of both payments once in.. You might be able to get USAA once you sign Call them, they are great...

call your loan company and ask what coverage you need for the 2/2.5 months in storage, explain you will be in basic...

Remember these words

Right place
Right time
Right uniform

be 10 minutes early for everything and your life will be good...

cowboy casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:23 AM   #7
Backspin9

Drives: The red one
What is the length of your loan? Maybe you could extend the term and lower your payments? With that and reduced insurance it might be more affordable.
Backspin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:26 AM   #8
Phenix

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS/RS 1LE
If getting rid of it is out of the question then you need to refinance.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Phenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:04 AM   #9
flyboy9994

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
USAA +3... Best thing I ever did. Should be able to sign up with them as soon as you graduate from basic/AIT.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:12 AM   #10
TX_ED_SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy casey View Post
Set up auto pay to take care of both payments once in.. You might be able to get USAA once you sign Call them, they are great...

call your loan company and ask what coverage you need for the 2/2.5 months in storage, explain you will be in basic...

Remember these words

Right place
Right time
Right uniform

be 10 minutes early for everything and your life will be good...
As an Army retiree, this is great advice. Call USAA for insurance and possibly refinancing the car to get a lower payment until you are stable with your new income. There is no penalty for paying more on your loan each month once you refinance if you can.

Thanks for serving and try to keep the car if you can. Good on ya!

U.S. Army Retired
TX_ED_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:50 AM   #11
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
$1,000 per month? Wow! That's going to be hard to swing on a E-1/E-2 salary. While I appreciate your upcoming service, I don't think I would have given up my $60K job just yet to do so... not until my auto loan was paid off. Once you are enlisted, go to USAA insurance and get rid of that ridiculous $350/month insurance rate. Either that, or store it somewhere until it's paid off. While stored, you should be able to drop the cost of insurance way down.
Agreed. No way would I have given up a 60K job to join the Army for the little pay you will receive. I had USAA in the past but I got rid of them when they kept jacking my rates up with no claims on my record. Good luck and enjoy.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:28 AM   #12
yenkostyle

Drives: 2015 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
Agreed. No way would I have given up a 60K job to join the Army for the little pay you will receive. I had USAA in the past but I got rid of them when they kept jacking my rates up with no claims on my record. Good luck and enjoy.
Agreed on both points! I'm an E7 with 18 years and my base pay is only like $58k a year! I cannot imagine taking a step back to an E1/E2 pay.

USAA sucks! I had the same BS you did. when I switched to GEICO (Government Employee Insurance Company ) my rates and my service was better. They have there own military servicing department and I can't say enough good about them.

OP I think the advice about refinancing is a good one. You can always pay more on the loan if you want, but ultimately your payment is lower and in line with what you can afford with the huge paycut. Good luck!

Last edited by yenkostyle; 02-18-2016 at 09:25 AM.
yenkostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:23 PM   #13
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
You'd be surprised how much you don't spend while in basic/AIT. Make a budget and stick to it. No need to pay for food, mess hall food isn't horrible and you don't have to pay for housing. Keep it simple till you are used to the pay cut. Autopay is great while you are in. Get that set up ASAP, it will save you the stress of having to do it while your focusing on training. Just my .02.

Be safe and remember to not lock your knees!! Thanks for your commitment to this country

Kayla L.
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:21 PM   #14
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Your salary might look low in the military, but come on... everything you need is paid for. When you are not paying for rent, food, health insurance, work uniforms, etc., that salary is pretty much for puttin' in the bank. I can say that: I served. The wage is not so bad.

One word of warning: I entered basic at age 22. The other newbs called me "Methuselah," because I was so freakin' old. I'd seen lots of military movies, and thought that I was joining an army of men... but, basic is made up almost entirely of kids, fresh out of high school and Mom's house, never having lived on their own, had jobs, etc. I had... this made it difficult for me. Having BEEN independent, free, and able to make all of my own decisions made basic difficult. I eventually adjusted, but it was not so easy. Prepare yourself to be told (often by those much younger than you) when you will or will not do every single thing you can imagine, and exactly how you will do it... but rarely why. Just do it.

And don't plan on meeting any other old farts like yourself in basic, Methuselah... you are going to be the father figure to a bunch of kiddos!

(That said... I thank you for your service!)
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote