Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-29-2015, 05:10 PM   #1
scdrj

Drives: 2014 ZL-1
Hawk Ceramics or 5.0s?

My first concern is to reduce the amount of brake dust on my polished rims. Outside of this, I am happy with the stopping force, disc wear, and lack of noise. When I first got the car, the pedal was high and hard. It was not linear at all. After a little break-in, they were good. I do not ask a lot from my brakes. However, they make 5X too much dust

I called tech on the Hawk pads. The guy I spoke with was really knowledgeable. He told me some things I did not even think about. All good stuff, but he tried to talk me into the 5.0s. He admitted that they would make a bit more dust, and that it would be darker dust as compared to the ceramics. He also admitted that there might be a bit more noise too. But, the increase in braking power would make it all worthwhile.

It would seem to me that greater braking power would mean more disc wear and heat. There would be greater potential for noise, and dust over the ceramic. Tech said that the Ceramic will stop better than the stock pads.

Given my prime objective of less dust, and minor concern for disc wear and noise, I am not even considering the 5.0s. Especially if the ceramics stop better than the stock pads to boot. I am looking for input from anyone how has tried both on a ZL1. Tell me why the 5.0 would be the better choice.
scdrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:16 PM   #2
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
I have heard many say the stock pads are better than ceramic for stopping. Ceramic, less dust.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
scdrj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
I have heard many say the stock pads are better than ceramic for stopping. Ceramic, less dust.
I kind of thought the same, but not according to the tech I spoke with...
Old 08-29-2015, 05:36 PM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Just cruising around town the ceramics will perform as well as stock. However, once you start driving hard or hit the autoX or track and they begin to get some heat in them they fade very quickly. Running ceramics essentially defeats the entire purpose of 6 pot calipers. In our experience the Hawk HPS pads dust less than stock but perform better.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:30 PM   #5
Mpsmith1

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
Just cruising around town the ceramics will perform as well as stock. However, once you start driving hard or hit the autoX or track and they begin to get some heat in them they fade very quickly. Running ceramics essentially defeats the entire purpose of 6 pot calipers. In our experience the Hawk HPS pads dust less than stock but perform better.
This. I have the Hawk pads and love them. But then I don't race, so the lack of performance isn't an issue for me.
Mpsmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:15 PM   #6
tonyfred

Drives: 2013 ZL1-Victory Red-Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpsmith1 View Post
This. I have the Hawk pads and love them. But then I don't race, so the lack of performance isn't an issue for me.

Same here. Almost no brake dust with the Hawks.

tonyfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:23 PM   #7
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
Do you guys get your rotors to last through 2 sets of pads? How far do you let the pads wear? Mine are at about 50% with 12,000 miles. I have some track time on them. Rotors look like they have 1/16" wear. I will mic them when I change pads.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:17 AM   #8
1MtnGoat

Drives: '12 SIM ZL1, 1 of 49
I was probably the first one to put ceramic pads on back in May of 2012. Currently just over 45,000 miles on the Hawk ceramic pads. Pads show hardly any wear, rotors look almost new. Dust is a medium grey color and there is considerably less. I don't track the car. The occasional panic stop "stops on a dime".

If anyone is interested in a set (front and rear) of like new OEM pads with 1,700 miles send PM.
Under Hood - Painted strut bar ends w/custom Polished Stainless mounting hardware, E2 CC, RotoFab CAI, ZL1 underhood decal, Amsoil oil, Black billet strut covers, Metco pulleys, intercooler reservoir, JRE 75 RWHP package.
Chassis - Hawk ceramic brake pads, ZL1 wheel decals, Amsoil fluids
Interior - A pillar gauge pod w/Aeroforce Interceptor gauges, Polished ZL1 speaker rings, ZL1 mats and console lid, Custom GPS mount
Exterior - 3M clear bra, LED driving lights, PIAA Plasma Ion yellow fog lights, Window tint, CF bowties, Technostalgia sequential tail lights

1MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:40 PM   #9
scdrj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
I do not autoX or track the car. It is a DD, but I run it hard on occasion. Do you think there would ever be an occasion where the factory pads would have out performed the Ceramics? I know you do not have a crystal ball, but shooting from the hip.

What is the purpose of a six pot caliper?

Quote:
Which model Hawk pads? You have noticed them under performing the factory pads? If yes, how so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfred View Post
Same here. Almost no brake dust with the Hawks.
Which model Hawks? Have you notice less performance than the factory pads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MtnGoat View Post
I was probably the first one to put ceramic pads on back in May of 2012. Currently just over 45,000 miles on the Hawk ceramic pads. Pads show hardly any wear, rotors look almost new. Dust is a medium grey color and there is considerably less. I don't track the car. The occasional panic stop "stops on a dime".
Thank you for your input!
Old 08-30-2015, 04:02 PM   #10
Johnthegreat

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS black camaro
I bought all ceramic 4 pads from break performance I believe for 120. About a year and a half ago and hardly any dust. No noise. And stops just fine
Johnthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:03 PM   #11
Johnthegreat

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS black camaro
Don't drink the kool-aid and think the most expensive is always the best.
Johnthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:50 PM   #12
Mpsmith1

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by scdrj View Post
Which model Hawk pads? You have noticed them under performing the factory pads? If yes, how so?
I bought the HB 194 Z.570 performance ceramic. Better stated, I presume there would be some performance loss under race conditions. I've not really noticed any appreciable difference. I absolutely LOVE them. There is hardly any dust, which is cool because the ten spoke black wheels are a bi-awtch to clean. Lol
Mpsmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:44 PM   #13
scdrj

Quote:
I bought the HB 194 Z.570 performance ceramic. Better stated, I presume there would be some performance loss under race conditions. I've not really noticed any appreciable difference. I absolutely LOVE them. There is hardly any dust, which is cool because the ten spoke black wheels are a bi-awtch to clean. Lol
So the front, and rear take the same pad?
Old 08-30-2015, 06:55 PM   #14
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Misinformation about braking flat out p... makes my blood boil.

Rule #1 if there is less dust, there is less braking. Period.

Brake dust is created by friction as the brake pads clamp against the rotor. Friction stops your car. Friction creates dust by grinding off some of the rotor and some of the pad. Th only way to reduce dust is to reduce friction. If you don't understand this, see Rule #1.

When people that make brake pads or sell brake pads or use brake pads tell you there isn't much difference or they are as good as the OE pads know this. Brembo spends more money on R & D than all the other brake companies in the world combined. GM is one of the largest Brembo customers. The brakes and pads on our ZL1 have been tested for virtually condition you will encounter on the street or during light tracking. The brakes have been validated.

A client of mine exchanged a series of messages after his first track session with DTC 70 front, 60 rear, new OE rotors and SRF brake fluid were installed. He is thrilled. The performance was stunning. His wheels are covered in rotor and brake pad dust. Filthy dirty. That is what good brakes do.

The OE pads on a 5th Gen Camaro are excellent for all round use. Your choices are clear. You can use a pad that will not stop as well but makes less dust on your high performance Camaro or wash your wheels more often. When some jerk pull out ion front of you, when a child runs in front of you on a side street and every inch of stopping distance matters in a measure of life and death is less brake dust really worth it?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote