Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-05-2020, 06:44 PM   #1
ChevyCav

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Oil Pump Concerns

Hey all, it’s been awhile since my last post. My M6 ‘17 1SS is currently getting some work done, heads, cams, intake, etc the whole yard at a reputable shop in PA. I’ve been reading up on the oil pump failures and that Katech just came out with a fix for this. Basically my question is how common is this problem? I feel like it has a bias towards the ZL1s but a few SS’s seem to have suffered that fate. My SS has about 36k on the clock with literally no problems.

I figure since my car is already getting the cam installed it’s a little too late to ask them to install the katech pump since it’s relatively new, so I figure I can install it myself later but in the mean time is this something I should worry about once I get my car back with the added power? What is everyone’s take on the oil pump failures especially since my warranty is essentially null at this time.

Any info would be sweet! Thanks
ChevyCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:15 PM   #2
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
It's a bummer you didn't have the katech pump before sending the car in for work, would have a a great opportunity while things were apart. I've only heard of few oil pumps going on the LT1 or LT4, and see it much more frequently in other platforms such as coyotes, voodoos, and hemis. I think you should be alright though.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:53 PM   #3
ChevyCav

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
It's a bummer you didn't have the katech pump before sending the car in for work, would have a a great opportunity while things were apart. I've only heard of few oil pumps going on the LT1 or LT4, and see it much more frequently in other platforms such as coyotes, voodoos, and hemis. I think you should be alright though.
Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking. And yeah it sucks man lol, maybe I can call Monday and see if I can get my hands on and have them install while the oil pump is currently out, gotta take advantage of the free labor.
ChevyCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:55 AM   #4
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
That’s a plan instead of doing it later on!