Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-28-2016, 01:12 PM   #1
Dbunch9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Shifting troubles

So I have a 2010 2SS that's a manual with a hurst short shifter. Something that's making me a little nervous is, when I shift into 1st and 2nd, instead of one solid click into gear, it's more like 3 small clicks and I kinda feel like I have to fight it into gear sometimes. I've also been locked out of 2nd twice the past week where I'm driving and it just won't go into 2nd until I try a few times. Once on an upshift and once on a downshift and on the upshift, the skip shift notification didn't come up. Also, when I get on it in 1st and try to shift it fast into 2nd, it never goes in smoothly and honestly makes a noise that just sounds rough on my transmission... not a grinding noise but more like a clunk. It only does that at high rpms though. Not sure if the clutch isnt completely engaging, synchros are going or if it's the short throw. Anyone experience this or have an idea of what's going on? I wanna try getting a new short throw when I have the money, probably an MGW or Barton.
Dbunch9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:26 AM   #2
Spitfil2e

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Victory Red
Hey... you are going to get a few different opinions on here. The first thing I would ask you is to give us more details about the car. How many miles? how do you use the car? DD AX. My first suggestion would be to change the tranny fluid. When the 2010 came out the dot3 fluid was standard... now they are up to dot6. I would first give that a try. If that doesn't help I know Phastek has http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...gs-3326030.htm These are all things that could be problems. Hope this helps. I personally don't have the Hurst, but had heard about the bearings wearing out. I would get that kit in the link no matter what if you can.
2011 LS3 M6 Rotofab CAI, Comp Custom Grind Cam 224 / 234 @ .050, .581/.576 w/ 1.7 rocker, 114 lobe sep 110 int c/l, Borla Full Exhaust, Ridetech Stage 2 Coilovers, McLeod RXT Street Twin Clutch, JPSS front and rear sway bars, JPSS caster locks, Forgeline GA3R Wheels Victory Red inner and outer barrels and matte back Spokes wrapped in Bridgestone 305 re71r on all four corners, Other JPSS Stuff. 455RWHP and 411RWTQ on Nascar Dyno.
Spitfil2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:11 PM   #3
Dbunch9

Thanks man. Car just hit 40k miles yesterday and it's my daily. I'll get around to changing the bushing as soon as I can, along with the trans fluid. Honestly glad to hear it's probably the bushings, seems like everything I read about bad synchros and what not doesn't sound exactly like my problem.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:41 PM   #4
Tech@HurstPerformance

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbunch9 View Post
So I have a 2010 2SS that's a manual with a hurst short shifter. Something that's making me a little nervous is, when I shift into 1st and 2nd, instead of one solid click into gear, it's more like 3 small clicks and I kinda feel like I have to fight it into gear sometimes. I've also been locked out of 2nd twice the past week where I'm driving and it just won't go into 2nd until I try a few times. Once on an upshift and once on a downshift and on the upshift, the skip shift notification didn't come up. Also, when I get on it in 1st and try to shift it fast into 2nd, it never goes in smoothly and honestly makes a noise that just sounds rough on my transmission... not a grinding noise but more like a clunk. It only does that at high rpms though. Not sure if the clutch isnt completely engaging, synchros are going or if it's the short throw. Anyone experience this or have an idea of what's going on? I wanna try getting a new short throw when I have the money, probably an MGW or Barton.
Hi D,

Based on your description, although it is hard to say without seeing the car in-person, it sounds as though you may be experiencing some transmission-related issues. However, if you have any questions or concerns about your shifter, please don't hesitate to give us a call at 707-544-4761 so that we can try and pinpoint your problem.
Tech@HurstPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:47 PM   #5
Dbunch9

I'm gonna try the transmission fluid and hearing first but you might be hearing from me! Thanks
Old 08-30-2016, 11:33 AM   #6
Tech@HurstPerformance

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Let us know either way. Hope that you find a simple fix. Good luck.
Tech@HurstPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:27 AM   #7
automanbad

Drives: 2010 camaro 2 SS
hurst short throw shifter issue !

I installed Hurst short throw shifter 391 5030 billet 6 speed manual shifter in my 2010 Camaro SS, 17 k miles on it. Reverse is really stiff to push over and into gear. Everything looks fine and works proper in all other gears, just reverse I have an issue with. Anyone else on these forums experienced this issue. Just looking for insight with this problem.
automanbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:37 AM   #8
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Before I swapped to 4L80e, the 1-2 shift always had a little notch, catch, bump, something. Hard to describe. Everybody told me it was just the way it was designed.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:51 AM   #9
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
my car has the a stock tranny and and stock shifter and clutch

M10 car

I have redline D4 ATF fluid it in now
Its "notchy" when its cold, but once its warmed up, shes smooth as silk. i dont mind. i baby my car for the first 5 minutes or so when i get on the road even after ive warmed it up the previous 5 on cold starts

80K miles

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:57 AM   #10
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfil2e View Post
My first suggestion would be to change the tranny fluid. When the 2010 came out the dot3 fluid was standard... now they are up to dot6. I would first give that a try.
Did you just tell the OP to use brake fluid in his transmission? Maybe you meant to say Dextron 6?
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:30 AM   #11
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
Did you just tell the OP to use brake fluid in his transmission? Maybe you meant to say Dextron 6?
i think he meant to change the brake fluid in the brake master cylinder reservoir (also the clutch reservoir), not the trans fluid

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote