Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-03-2018, 04:12 PM   #1
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
DIY Lug mount wheel stands

I've been looking into making up a set of wheel stands to keep the 1LE on over the winter, and figured I'd check to see if anyone else is interested.

This would only be the plate, as shown in the picture. 3/8" steel. 6" wide and 24" long. Laser cut lug and center holes. It would be up to you to weld on a base and probably a gusset or two for stability. Why 24" long? I want to have the car up high enough to slide under there if I want to do some work on it. They can always be cut shorter.

Will probably be around $200 for a set. Shipping may be a killer if you're outside of the midwest, though. It's looking like anywhere from $40 to $70 to ship ground.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2018, 06:02 PM   #2
Lethal Z
American Gearhead!!

Drives: ZL1 1LE/GT350/Ford RS/Gen 2 Raptor
You can get a set of race ramp wheel cribs for a little over $100 and they won't kill you like those death stilts will.

https://www.amazon.com/Race-Ramps-RR...l%2Bcribs&th=1
Old 12-03-2018, 06:55 PM   #3
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Google 'hub stand'
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:56 PM   #4
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal Z View Post
You can get a set of race ramp wheel cribs for a little over $100 and they won't kill you like those death stilts will.

https://www.amazon.com/Race-Ramps-RR...l%2Bcribs&th=1

I'd bet he doesn't want the car to rest on the tires like the Race Ramps will.

Plus, he already stated that the end user will probably need to create some bases plus gussets form them for stability.

With them bolted right up to the wheels using the lug nuts and with bases and gussets welded on for stability, I'd have no issues crawling under the car. With them made out of 3/8" steel, I'd wager they'd be just as safe as jack stands.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:58 PM   #5
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post

Plus, he already stated that the end user will probably need to create some bases plus gussets form them for stability.

With them bolted right up to the wheels using the lug nuts and with bases and gussets welded on for stability, I'd have no issues crawling under the car. With them made out of 3/8" steel, I'd wager they'd be just as safe as jack stands.
They are called 'hub stand' and are already available
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:02 AM   #6
Laststandard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post

Pretty much this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenB View Post
They are called 'hub stand' and are already available
I get that they're already available.. and also expensive. Other than these, which I just found - https://technotoytuning.com/universa...ing-hub-stands

Apparently my google-fu failed me earlier. Technotoy looks like a better option at $225 for a set. It would still cost me $150 / set just to make the plates, if I had enough made to use a full 4x8 plate of steel. Why so much for just some plates? Cost of having one-off parts made when you have to use someone else's equipment.

928motorsports.com also makes hub stands that will fit 5x120, but those are $582 + $99 shipping for a set of four. Look nice, though.

If anyone knows of any other options out there, please share!
Old 12-04-2018, 10:16 AM   #7
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
OP, careful with what you are making. The car weighs almost 4000 lbs, for example applying 2000lbs of side load into the plate so far above will make it taco instantly. (MC/I)

This is 1000% unfinished and gussets are required. You do not have enough cross section (I) to safely support the car. Is your driveway flat, how much safety factor your adding..etc.

Imo it would be safer and likely cheaper to buy an off the shelf product.

Alternatively a jack stand hub adapter might be more cost efficient and safer. Still need to do calculations.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:30 AM   #8
Laststandard

Does no one read the whole post?

I said in the OP it would need gussets and a plate welded to the bottom. In no way was I saying I would mount the car with just the laser cut plates... ffs people.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:50 AM   #9
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laststandard View Post
Does no one read the whole post?

I said in the OP it would need gussets and a plate welded to the bottom. In no way was I saying I would mount the car with just the laser cut plates... ffs people.
Yes, but in your OP you have a degree of uncertainty "probably a gussets or two" all I'm saying is to do the math. It's not a probably it's a requirement. I am just trying to make sure you don't drop a car on your head.

Since you have solidworks, when you add your gussets in the model you can then take sections and have it spit out your cross section area at each location. Then do the MC/I calculation at each section to make sure you still have good Safety factor at least 3 or greater. If you are welding make sure who is welding it is good. Your welds are very important.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote