Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-22-2018, 12:00 PM   #1
Hooks112

Drives: '15 Z/28 #698(A/C,AW) & other stuff
Wickerbill parts question

Getting ready to install my recently received wickerbill, wicker bill, Gurney flap.

The box included the wickerbill, the template, instructions, plus the washers. No rivet-nuts or other hardware was included.

I know I need some M8 riv-nuts, but not sure how long the bolt hardware should be?? Thinking around 1"??

Also, as a sanity check:
1.) I'm OK with how to install riv-nuts. I'll practice with an extra first.
2.) I'm good with the fact that the install sheet tells you to align the template to the bottom of the spoiler, but I should follow the template directions and align with the top. Bottom of wickerbill should be flush with the bottom of the spoiler at its extended setting.
3.). 2 sets of washers per bolt in the rivnut locations, other 4 washers are for the trunk lid.
4.) Use a 35/64 drill bit - or perhaps a 17/32..??
5.) Measure 3 times, drill once.

Anything I'm overlooking?

Thanks,
Mike
Hooks112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
carparts

Drives: 2014 Z28 Black 2010 WF1 Stohr
If it a GM wicker bill it should have come with the bolts (torx) to fasten the wicker bill the the spoiler. You MUST use the correct size drill for the riv-nuts not something close or the will not work properly. I installed my GM one last month
carparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:30 PM   #3
johna

Drives: 2015 White Z28
I have not installed mine yet either. But I read where some said to drill slightly smaller. The correct size specified seemed like it caused a problem being slightly too big for and difficult on use of the rivnuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:11 PM   #4
69L48Z27

Drives: 2015 Z/28; 1969 Camaro SS
What they said. Drill rivnut holes that are just a 1/64th too big and it's a show stopper. Not in a good way.
69L48Z27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:51 PM   #5
PeeP

Drives: 2010 SS, 2015 Z/28
Be careful with the placement of the template when you drill. I got mine just a little to high on the spoiler. Had to take the 2 end bolts and grind them shorter than the rest. They where bottoming out on the spoiler before they got tight. Use the bit size the instructions call for and you won't go wrong
PeeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:29 AM   #6
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
I used a 1/2" drill bit and very carefully made the hole just large enough to fit the nut in, worked perfect.
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:36 AM   #7
Hooks112

All good input, thanks for the responses.

However, no one answered my original question - how long does my bolt hardware need to be to go thru everything, without being too long? Is there any interference behind the holes I need to worry about, or is it mostly hollow?

Back to the riv-nuts: The 8mm's I picked up today from NAPA called for a Z size drill bit, which is a whole lot smaller than what GM called for. According to the interwebs, Z is between 13/32 and 27/64.... I'm sure I'll have no problem finding that bit at my local DIY store............ Regardless, I'll be doing some rivnut testing before I go a-drilling.

Thx
Old 10-24-2018, 08:13 AM   #8
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
You will only need a bolt long enough to go through the wicker bill, spoiler and a few threads into the riv-nut. Drill a hole and see how thick the spoiler is. I would have to guess 3/4"- 1".
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:49 PM   #9
Hooks112

Finished up the Wicker Bill install last night. All went well, but I learned a few things that I should pass along. If it helps someone else, great!

The Riv-Nuts that I bought came from NAPA, and required a 1/2" bit - not a Z bit as I previously described. Instead of spending $30 to buy a riv-nut tool online, I chose to spend $10 making my own. I made up the difference by driving to about 6 different hardware stores to procure parts, but I was in the Camaro so I was having a good time wasting my time and money. Prolly should have stayed home and ordered the tool on-line.

I had to purchase riv-nuts, as my kit that came with the Wicker Bill had been opened at some time. All of the squishy washers, instructions and template was there, but it had been previously opened. The paper template was in OK shape, but a little ragged on one side, perhaps had water spilled on it. When I cut the template out and applied it to the car, I didn't like the looks of the ragged side, and the measurement of the holes didn't seem to exactly line up with the other side of the car. Being a bit nervous about drilling holes, I decided to only drill the 3 center holes, install the WB, then use it as a template for the other 4 holes to be drilled. This method worked out nicely, and happily the whole thing lined up when I was done.

I don't really like my choice of hardware - went with some inexpensive black bolts/washer stuff from the DIY store. Shopping around, it seems like the cool lightweight stuff is pretty pricey.

Also found that the instructions for the trunk lid washers called for all 4 washers to be installed - 2 per side. My trunk would not close with all 4 washers, so I only used 2 total - 1 per side. Trunk closes fine now.

So, that's it - car looks cool with the Gurney Flap. I can tell my limited vision out the back is even more limited. After I check it out a bit, I'll probably run it in the lower position for the street, raise it for track days.

In case you've never seen a Z/28 with a Wicker Bill, here are a few pics:
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2018, 04:44 PM   #10
johna

Nice Looks great!
I have not seen one in person yet and still need to install mine. In the lower position is it flush with the rear spoiler? Or does it extend an inch or so?

Old 11-08-2018, 03:05 PM   #11
Hooks112

In the raised position, the Wicker Bill height measures approx 1.25" at either side, from the top of the rear spoiler.

In the lower position, it's darned near flush with the spoiler. Extends about 1/4" - maybe.

Not sure this is the exact intention of where it was supposed to be, but someone else on another thread set the template too low, and not much of the WB was sticking up in the raised position when they were done.

I'm curious to drive a while and see any effect it has regarding feel or (more likely) gas mileage.

If you're having any doubts as to whether or not to install it, you probably shouldn't. The thing is quite massive, and does consume more of your visibility. Putting it in the down position will surely help, but then you're just dragging around extra weight for no good reason. Leaving it off entirely just leaves 7 holes in your rear spoiler for the weather to invade. On the other hand, it is part of the cars native DNA and adds to the overall bad-ass theme of the vehicle. In a pinch, you could use it over a fire pit to cook a shitload of pancakes....
Old 11-08-2018, 03:26 PM   #12
johna

Lol
Love all the good info. I do want to track it and does seem to add to a small cool detail to the overall look. I will install sometime before next spring.

Tags
gurney flap, wicker bill, wickerbill