Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-06-2018, 03:10 PM   #1
DWR

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Misfire, service stabilitrac, service rear end....

Well I guess my luck ran ou this morning, the car is now at the dealer because it is experiencing misfires, and displaying both service stabilitrac, and service rear end mssages. All three showed up at once.

The tech already replace a spark plugs wire on the indicated cylinder (3) as it seemed loose with no effect. They gave me a loaner vehicle so they could have time to diagnose/let the engine cool down so the tech could pull the spark plugs without burning himself....

Pretty concerned honestly as she only has 3000 miles on her.... anyone else experience this? Any ideas other than the normal coils, spark plug, wires deal?
2007 Toyota Corolla S -- Traded
2007 Colorado I-5 3.7L z85 2wd ext. cab --Totaled
2004 Silverado single cab 4.8l v-8 2wd -- Traded
2018 Camaro SS 1LE -- Current DD
DWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:10 PM   #2
DWR

Anyone have any suggestions, experience, or anything about this?
Old 10-07-2018, 03:04 AM   #3
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
From what's I've seen posted on this forum, when multiple messages show up like this, it's usually some kind of short, or wiring issue. They're probably going to have to chase this down by carefully inspecting the wiring harnesses.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:51 AM   #4
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
No idea but when I worked as a tech the first thing we would go for was chassis ground points. I'm not sure about locations on the Camaro but most vehicles seem to follow a common theme. There will usually be one on either inner fender wall in the engine compartment and in the passenger compartment behind the kick panel in front of the doors. I've fixed hundreds of odd electrical events with a 10-12mm socket and a scuff wheel on a die grinder.
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:06 PM   #5
DWR

Well I hope it isn’t invasive enough that they have to dig into my dash or anything. I hope they don’t have to break out the scruff wheel to take off a bit of paint either but right now I just want my car back in good working order (and without any new scratches, dents, etc..... I just get really worried when my car is in anyone else’s hands)
Old 10-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #6
DWR

Ok, just an update. The service tech said that it was not the spark plug so they ran a fuel injector test and one injector was out of spec and two others looked questionable. They ordered 3 new injectors which are supposed to show up/ be installed today. From what I was told each injector has a different part number and they wanted to replace like for like (he did say that they probably/might be the same but he wanted to replace like for like to be sure). I'll keep you all updated.

On a side note, does this sound correct? Was there an updated/ redesign or correction to the injector design that was made causeing some injectors to have a different part number (seems more likely to me)?
Old 10-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #7
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
What is a little strange are the other two error messages about the rear end and stability control systems showing up at the same time. Hopefully they're on the right track.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:55 PM   #8
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
The stability control will set 90% of the time with an engine misfire, not sure on the rear because they're fairly new but could be the same reason
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:14 AM   #9
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenB View Post
The stability control will set 90% of the time with an engine misfire, not sure on the rear because they're fairly new but could be the same reason
Had this happen on a GM SUV. from what I read at the time Stabilitrack error code is often non-specific.
OP, was you SS 1LE modified in any way???
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:48 AM   #10
DWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Had this happen on a GM SUV. from what I read at the time Stabilitrack error code is often non-specific.
OP, was you SS 1LE modified in any way???
Completely stock everything. Apparently a fuel injector failed and flooded the cylinder, somehow causing a bent pushrod and valve. I'm supposed to be getting my car back today. They replaced 3 injectors (two others looked "questionable" when they ran the balance test), a pushrod, and one of the heads (apparently they don't replace just the valve...). I will keep you all updated.

Just because I'm pretty sure someone will ask, no I didn't preform a money shift.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:59 AM   #11
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post
fuel injector failed and flooded the cylinder, somehow causing a bent pushrod and valve.
Google "hydrolocked cylinder" and you can see what happens when liquid floods the cylinder. Water, liquid gas, coolant, oil... doesn't matter. All bad.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:18 PM   #12
DWR

Ok so here is the grand and hopefully the final update on this annoying and stressful saga...

The cause for all of the following is unknown but after they replaced a few fuel injectors, a pushrod, and a head (because of a bent valve/ they don't reassemble heads apparently) my car stopped misfiring but still had issues. The issue that I then had was very odd to me; it ran fine, felt fine, except for if you were cruising (mainly highway)... What would happen is that if you tried to accelerate or maintain speed going up a hill (regardless of what gear you were in) without downshifting to bring the rpm over 2k it would shake like crazy/seem like misfire/ not accelerate but no engine light. Finally one day it gave me all the same lights/warnings as last time... I took it to the dealership and they were told to order an engine.

I was told that the engine had arrived but GM wouldn't pay the tech to replace it until they were able to find what was causing the issue/proof... So my car sat for a month at the dealership with the new engine there in shop (as I was told). Finally the dealership was able to find time to tear my car/engine down after thanksgiving (I'll cut slack here as they do get bombarded) and found that it had spun a main rod bearing. The engine swap went *fairly* quick after that ~2 weeks after finding the issue for GM.

I currently am planning to contact GM in attempt to have them pay my car payments for the length of time that the car was in the shop, extend my onstar,xm, etc. services as I lost out on use, and to have them finally replace my hood wrap that was defective since day 1 (peeling at the hood edge, blemishes, and now a few marks made by the engine replacement that seem to be permanent... haven't had time to wash the car since getting it back).
Old 12-27-2018, 05:04 PM   #13
lowrred

Drives: 16ss, Ram, r32
I've had the exact same thing happen. I'm on my second engine. Its already had the passenger side head replaced along with pistons 1,4,7. Cam has also been replaced. Issue still persists.
lowrred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:06 PM   #14
DWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrred View Post
I've had the exact same thing happen. I'm on my second engine. Its already had the passenger side head replaced along with pistons 1,4,7. Cam has also been replaced. Issue still persists.
Hold up.... are you saying you are on your second engine replacement (as in the factory one then two more?) or it has only been replace once? Which engine had the head, pistons, and cam replace? Sounds like a horrible combination of ecu AND engine problems if it happened more than once!

When you say that the issue still persists are you saying the shaking at cruise? If so I can put you in touch with the guys at my dealership to get them to do a tear down because it's probably the same deal I had, a spun bearing.