Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-27-2020, 03:19 PM   #1
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Is this the last chance for a 6th gen Z/28

Hi guys first off let me say i know not one thing GM is going to do.

I was thinking of all the people we have talked to over the years in the GM world, we knew of 4 of the 5 corvettes models that are coming out in the C8 back in 2017 when we got the ZLE.

So last week as i was reading about the all new Zo6 C8 i had this pop up in my mind, Is the 6th gen Z/28 going to use the 5.5 liter 8500RPM+ motor in the Z/28 and add DCT to the car or use the A10, i think this can become a grate 2 year car for 20012-13 and limit the total to no more then 1000 units for both years, so 500 per year.

Like to hear what your think is on the likely hood of this happening, or can we start a letter writing campaign to ask for this car, come on GM we want this car, 6 gens and not to have a Z/28 in the last GEN that runs on gas is a big loss.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:08 PM   #2
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Random thoughts:

They already have two great performance Camaro's, where would it fit in?

Last one they made failed miserably

They let the gen four Camaro die with no dignity( unless you think the RPO Z4C was performance)

They are most likely gonna kill the marque off again, especially now.

Mary B has her feet to the fire now, and will not commit to a brand that has languished in sales for years.

It's just biz to GM, we here are far more passionate than they are

The fact they never advertise the brand speaks volumes about it's future.

JMHO
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:56 AM   #3
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Hi guys first off let me say i know not one thing GM is going to do.

I was thinking of all the people we have talked to over the years in the GM world, we knew of 4 of the 5 corvettes models that are coming out in the C8 back in 2017 when we got the ZLE.

So last week as i was reading about the all new Zo6 C8 i had this pop up in my mind, Is the 6th gen Z/28 going to use the 5.5 liter 8500RPM+ motor in the Z/28 and add DCT to the car or use the A10, i think this can become a grate 2 year car for 20012-13 and limit the total to no more then 1000 units for both years, so 500 per year.

Like to hear what your think is on the likely hood of this happening, or can we start a letter writing campaign to ask for this car, come on GM we want this car, 6 gens and not to have a Z/28 in the last GEN that runs on gas is a big loss.
"Limit the total"

Old 04-28-2020, 10:47 AM   #4
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
The Gen 6 swan song car - like the Gen 5 Z/28 - be a nice platform to use the 5.5 L flat plain crank V8, carbon brakes, carbon wheels, DCT, light weighting (no back seats, limited creature comforts, lightweight glass, limited sound proof material) and of course ZLE track package.

So you have a NA Z/28 - slots in just above ZLE - not as much grunt, but track performance enhanced by lost weight and DCT transmission.

Not going to be a sales success - but might be a nice end of the Camaro run (or end of 6th Gen) salute to the Z/28 Heritage.

If GM limited production to 550 per year (5500 motor, hence 550) for a few years they keep the price up - if the announce they are killing the Camaro, this can be the last great NA, track focused Z/28 - which would have collectors drooling.

$85,000 Gen 6 Z/28 - that is what you are looking at - 550 a year sold - likely - 1,000 per year - no chance.

So it is a heritage or ego car! Unfortunately don't see that in the GM culture, outside the Corvette. So while it would be great package - I see slim chance of it happening!
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:28 PM   #5
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I don't see it happening for the simple reason of where does it fit in the line up. I personally don't think it would outperform the ZLE. It would be down on power, way down on torque. So it would have to be a hell of a lot lighter or have some very expensive go fast bits. So would it outperform the ZLE enough to justify its price tag?

Or say they believe it doesn't have to outperform the ZLE. Then where does it slot in the lineup because it wouldn't be faster than the ZLE, the ZL1 would outperform it in a straightline and it would costs somewhere in between.... I just don't see a business case for it other than because we can.

Also, I will admit I am not sure but lets remember this engine was designed as far as we know ground up to be put in a ME Corvette with the DCT. I don't know how well it work in a FE layout with a conventional transmission or A10 or if the DCT would even fit in the Camaro
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:09 PM   #6
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
The lineup doesn’t really matter. What matters is would enough people buy them and the answer is probably no.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:00 PM   #7
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The lineup doesn’t really matter. What matters is would enough people buy them and the answer is probably no.
I think the lineupe does matter, at least in part because of the performance the 5th gen car offered.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 04-29-2020, 12:20 PM   #8
shaffe

Agreed ^
Old 04-29-2020, 02:39 PM   #9
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I don't see it happening for the simple reason of where does it fit in the line up. I personally don't think it would outperform the ZLE. It would be down on power, way down on torque. So it would have to be a hell of a lot lighter or have some very expensive go fast bits. So would it outperform the ZLE enough to justify its price tag?

Or say they believe it doesn't have to outperform the ZLE. Then where does it slot in the lineup because it wouldn't be faster than the ZLE, the ZL1 would outperform it in a straightline and it would costs somewhere in between.... I just don't see a business case for it other than because we can.

Also, I will admit I am not sure but lets remember this engine was designed as far as we know ground up to be put in a ME Corvette with the DCT. I don't know how well it work in a FE layout with a conventional transmission or A10 or if the DCT would even fit in the Camaro
It wont be that much lower on power 50Hp at best, if you remember the last Z/28 was down 80 HP the the ZL1 and still went faster at the ring.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:42 AM   #10
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Quote:
It wont be that much lower on power 50Hp at best, if you remember the last Z/28 was down 80 HP the the ZL1 and still went faster at the ring.
Agreed - won't have the torque, but with proper weight reduction, enhanced DCT transmission and set up it could outperform the ZLE on track.

With respect to where does it slot in the line up - it would have to be top spot, to produce a car that can be a step up in performance from the ZLE - at that price point, likely $85,000+ you are looking at a new base Z06 - so sales would be limited.

So only case I can see for new Z is a swan song Camaro that they race and the Z, is the homologation car to allow it to happen. Limited production, limited sales, and the belief that is is the last NA Z before the Camaro goes electric!
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:43 AM   #11
shaffe

Quote:
That is true it was down 75HP and 81 ft/lbs of torque

It was also 300 pounds lighter, totally stripped out interior carbon ceramic brakes Trofeo tires DSSV suspension set up and cost 20K more than the ZL1 at the time.

Against the ZLE it may only be down 50HP but if the rumors are true it would also be down 180 lb/ft of torque.(last rumor has the 5.5 FPC at 600 HP and around 470 ft/lbs) ZLE already has the DSSV suspension set up, extreme aero, sticky tires. The ZLE already has a lot of the stuff the 5th gen Z/28 had that gave it its advantage over the ZL1.

I just think they would need to drop to much weight from it add to many go fast parts that it would cause the price to skyrocket and from a business stand point it makes no sense is all. Also how much better would/could it be and at what cost.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:10 PM   #12
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
That is true it was down 75HP and 81 ft/lbs of torque

It was also 300 pounds lighter, totally stripped out interior carbon ceramic brakes Trofeo tires DSSV suspension set up and cost 20K more than the ZL1 at the time.

Against the ZLE it may only be down 50HP but if the rumors are true it would also be down 180 lb/ft of torque.(last rumor has the 5.5 FPC at 600 HP and around 470 ft/lbs) ZLE already has the DSSV suspension set up, extreme aero, sticky tires. The ZLE already has a lot of the stuff the 5th gen Z/28 had that gave it its advantage over the ZL1.

I just think they would need to drop to much weight from it add to many go fast parts that it would cause the price to skyrocket and from a business stand point it makes no sense is all. Also how much better would/could it be and at what cost.
Your Wright, from a business stand point it makes no sense at all, but some times you need to do whats Wright, and whats Wright is to build the best Z/28 they can in a N.A. car, they where testing it some time ago, now with the new motor they can make a car they can rest there hat on, last of the "4 seat" fast cars. i will buy that before the Zo6 if its up to me.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:02 AM   #13
The Manalishi

Drives: 2018 M5
Guys there will not be a 6th generation Z/28. Sorry. The ZLE is so extreme that to match it NA the car would need a lot more than simple weight reduction to overcome the torque deficient. That is a lot of weight, 500 pounds or more. How do you carve 500 out of a car and still pass crash tests and still make about 500 people want it? 500 is the minimum they could ask for to make it somewhat feasible. With Camaro sales sadly dwindling where are these 500? They don't exist at the price point this Camaro would be at. 85k is conservative for a car that could beat the ZLE NA. Hard to beat boost and the ZLE package in an NA car. Hell the ZLE is beyond what 99% of drivers want and can handle. The ZLE is a very niche car, now you are asking for and even smaller niche to give you a Z/28.
The Manalishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:45 AM   #14
14Black1LESS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Manalishi View Post
Guys there will not be a 6th generation Z/28. Sorry. The ZLE is so extreme that to match it NA the car would need a lot more than simple weight reduction to overcome the torque deficient. That is a lot of weight, 500 pounds or more. How do you carve 500 out of a car and still pass crash tests and still make about 500 people want it? 500 is the minimum they could ask for to make it somewhat feasible. With Camaro sales sadly dwindling where are these 500? They don't exist at the price point this Camaro would be at. 85k is conservative for a car that could beat the ZLE NA. Hard to beat boost and the ZLE package in an NA car. Hell the ZLE is beyond what 99% of drivers want and can handle. The ZLE is a very niche car, now you are asking for and even smaller niche to give you a Z/28.
It wouldn't be that difficult to shed weight. Whether it's enough weight or not would be the issue. Going NA, you have already shed the weight of the supercharger and it's components, you wouldn't need all of the radiators that the ZL1 or ZLE has, do a rear seat delete, replace body panels with carbon fiber panels, or very least fiberglass, and I'm sure there are some other creature comforts that could be deleted also. It's possible to do but if GM is going to kill off the Camaro again, then I doubt they will spend money on R&D for a Z/28.