Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Members Classifieds - Parts for sale or wanted > V8 - Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons, Tuning Equipment

Old 10-30-2014, 02:38 PM   #15
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
Oh how I wish I had 6k and could swap this into the 1LS easily. Looks like a god deal! Somebody will pop on it you may get some serious buyers in the for sale sub forum
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:19 PM   #16
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
A mystery motor partially dissassembled is worth... scrap price for the metals.

If a shop that specializes in building LS motors checks all the vitals, then you have the value of those parts as used.

If I were selling that motor, I'd spend the couple hundred and get it checked out. Then you know what you're selling and the buyer knows what down for a reason.... years later now on the internet advertised as ... 25K, at least that's what I'm told.

Yeah right. What's the rest of the story. Someone ripped out a a perfectly good motor and tore it down for no reason? they are buying.

At the very least I'd take the time to remove the pan. Inspect the bearings. Inspect the cam. Inspect the lifter bores. Inspect the cyl bores. Inspect the heads for cracks. All rediculously easy to do before selling a high dollar "long block"

That's not a long block. That's a partial mystery motor that probably got replaced by whatever came in that crate.

Scrap metal unless proven otherwise.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:23 PM   #17
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
I'll give you $500.00 the previous post is correct.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #18
Russell James

If it was a 25K OE engine.... will be a portion of the VIN engraved on the block.

You could post it here, or any dealer can look up the history of that motor.

My money is on a dealer replaced it under warranty. Now it's getting passed around to whoever will bite.

Popping the pan and the serial numbers will tell the story.

Put me down for a hundred on trashed con rods, and a warranty motor that didn't make it to the scrap yard.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:29 PM   #19
232_ray

Drives: 2013 ZL1 / 1969 Z/28 camaro
the thing spins freely and to be honest i dont care if the motor sits there and rots. thnaks for the comments i guess. --------- per wikipedia-----------------------
Long block is an automotive term for an engine sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft (usually), valve train, oil pan, and valve covers. A long block does not include fuel system, electrical, and exhaust components.---------------------------------------------------------------------enjoy your day..
232_ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:02 PM   #20
Russell James

pic of the engraved VIN number?

A long block... you put the intake, exhaust manifolds on, accessories, install, start. Read that wiki definition better...assembled...cylinder head. That is not an assembled long block. It's a short block of unknown condition with the heads sitting on it.

An LS7 long block can range from very valuable to scrap metal. Buying or selling it, I'd put more effort into the inspection. It turns... is meaningless.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #21
jwcarguy

Drives: Camaro SS
why two for sale threads for same engine???

or do you have two LS7 disassembled long blocks?
jwcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:07 AM   #22
SuperchargedStealth

Drives: '11 Camaro Supercharged Convertible
For what it's worth, that is a long block, it's just not a turn-key long block as being described by RJ. With that said, to help you sell, you should get some serial numbers and have them checked. At least that way, everyone knows that they're getting. Or, have it disassembled and inspected. If everything checks out, you could probably get what you're asking considering it needs new lifters and head bolts. On that note, those pistons have a lot of carbon build-up. On that note, you could pull the rotating assembly, have everything sent out to be cleaned up, inspected and get new bearings. It's not a lot to do that, and then you could sell for more with the right paperwork showing you have new and/or refreshed parts. Regardless, a bare block would cost between 2K-3K. Then let the buyer do what he wants with it.
2011 Triple Black SS convertible, LSX 427, PRC 260cc heads, Callies Ultra Billet Rods, Wiseco -20 cc piston, Callies Dragon Slayer crank, Strange Dana 60 rear w/3.73 gear ratio and driveshaft, Pfadt coilovers, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt trailing arms, Pfadt tie rods, Pfadt subframe bushings, Vortech YSi with wastegate and twin BOV, Haltech ECU, Mantic 9000 Twin Clutch, ALKY control meth system with dual nozzle, Squash twin fuel pumps, ACS T3 ports, VIS Terminator Hood, Seibon ZL style lip.
SuperchargedStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #23
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
A mystery motor partially dissassembled is worth... scrap price for the metals.

If a shop that specializes in building LS motors checks all the vitals, then you have the value of those parts as used.

If I were selling that motor, I'd spend the couple hundred and get it checked out. Then you know what you're selling and the buyer knows what down for a reason.... years later now on the internet advertised as ... 25K, at least that's what I'm told.

Yeah right. What's the rest of the story. Someone ripped out a a perfectly good motor and tore it down for no reason? they are buying.

At the very least I'd take the time to remove the pan. Inspect the bearings. Inspect the cam. Inspect the lifter bores. Inspect the cyl bores. Inspect the heads for cracks. All rediculously easy to do before selling a high dollar "long block"

That's not a long block. That's a partial mystery motor that probably got replaced by whatever came in that crate.

Scrap metal unless proven otherwise.
Since it has to be taken apart, a local buyer could meet Ray at a local engine builder trusted by the buyer and give it a look-see. Some bearings, rings, and gaskets might make someone smile!
Old 11-02-2014, 11:07 AM   #24
Russell James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
Since it has to be taken apart, a local buyer could meet Ray at a local engine builder trusted by the buyer and give it a look-see. Some bearings, rings, and gaskets might make someone smile!
...and I'd run the serial number past the local chevy dealer's service dept. May lead to the the reason why it was pulled out. A stock LS7 would have come with a 100k warranty. Leading a thinker to wonder if the motor that came in that crate was used to replace an LS7 under warranty. When I was a tech, we'd pop the heads and pan, estimate whether it needs a repair or replacement. Yup, needs a whole motor, throw the old one on the crate. More than one snuck out the back door and was resold over and over on the internet.

An LS7 even in rebuildable condition, if all the rods are good, is a very valuable engine. A smart buyer and seller would go through a thorough inspection and history check before thousands changed hands.

There is more to the story. Clean low mileage perfect condition LS7's don't wind in in a partially tore down state for no reason. Lifters and heads removed for curiosity. Don't think so.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #25
232_ray

Drives: 2013 ZL1 / 1969 Z/28 camaro
Thanks for the input superchargedstealth and whiplash for he input I'll look at it over a little better. Any idea of what part of the block the serial number would be be at? Not knowledgeable at all on these things. Any help and guidance is always appreciate as long as it's positive.
232_ray is offline   Reply With Quote