#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-18-2024, 10:09 AM   #15
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
Another question to ask is when you switch from one catback to another (different brands) is the "cut" you made for the original going to work with the new?
Good question, but I would think most all of them have the cut in a similar place.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 11:38 AM   #16
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
I recently installed a Borla Atak axle back system. With the oem exhaust, the valves on my car default to the open position with the car off. On the Borla system they are open by default as well. I didn't have to mess with anything. I wonder if the valves are always open by default when the car is off, even in Stealth mode. Then when you hit the start button they immediately close?
Old 04-18-2024, 01:03 PM   #17
Bearded_Seamonkey

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
I can report back on the change. Honestly, I'm not doing it because I want a better sound. In my opinion, the AWE exhaust sounds very good. Its just that I've had this setup for 3 1/2 years now and honestly as I'm getting older, I think I just want something quieter. With no valves in the AWE exhaust, 2" headers and high flow cats, its quite loud. I just want to ability to make the car quieter when I want it to be. I'm honestly surprised my neighbors haven't come at me with pitchforks by now. Looking at the designs of the valved axle backs available, I like what Corsa has done with with theirs and prefer the black tips option even though I will surely miss the 4.5" AWE tips, no one has tips that look as good as AWE.
Thanks so much for your response. It completely makes sense...especially if you have headers and cats! Good luck with the install and hope you are happy!
2000 Corvette
Bearded_Seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 06:14 AM   #18
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearded_Seamonkey View Post
I don't have any input to help you out...sorry. But I would like to get your opinion on how the corsa is in comparison to the AWE. Why are you switching? And if you wouldn't mind giving a review on the differences as you drive the corsa. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
I would also like to hear a comparison video on the Corsa if you could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
They only go on one way, so you should be good. But you could always key the car on with the valves plugged in and not installed to make sure they default to the correct position then install them.

You should be fine on the X pipe. I have my Corsa axle back bolted up to a Borla 60608 resonated X pipe and it all fit perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
Another question to ask is when you switch from one catback to another (different brands) is the "cut" you made for the original going to work with the new?

Got the axle back swapped yesterday and here's what I've learned...

First of all, it was not a direct swap because I tried to retain my AWE X-Pipe which is 3" and the Corsa axle back is also 3" (actually just slightly less, it would almost slip inside of the AWE X-Pipe but not quite) so it would not slip over the AWE X-Pipe. We decided to take the risk of expanding the Corsa axle back sytem but unfortunately it split which my exhaust guy said might happen with stainless steel because its so rigid compared to aluminized steel. So this necessitated him to cut off the split ends and fabricate some short 3" connection pipes out of aluminized steel. This worked but then we hit our next snag, we tried to use a 3" stepped band clamp to connect the Corsa system to the AWE X-Pipe with the new aluminized steel connection pipes and the clamps just wouldn't tighten down enough. At this point, I was very frustrated but had to keep moving forward so we chose to weld it. Obviously this works but you have to be spot on when welding because you won't get any further adjustments of the exhaust in the rear which can be a problem when trying to get the tips lined up. We managed to get them almost perfect, I have one tip that's maybe 1/8" off compared to the others but you would have to look hard to notice. Here's the kicker though, the outside right side tip wasn't even welded to the pipes like the others were. We didn't even notice until we started trying to adjust the tips to get them perfect and one of the tips just came off in my hands. Do you know how pissed I would have been if I drove off after having the exhaust installed and had a tip just fall off? DO BETTER CORSA! That's quality control 101 right there. So we had to weld that tip in place.

On to the sound. In Stealth mode, its so darn quiet, it almost sounds like my GMC Canyon with a V6. No lie! Cold starts are no longer an issue, its very uneventful in Stealth mode. In Touring mode, cold starts are still quite loud but as soon as the valves make the adjustment for touring mode after about 2-3 seconds it gets much quieter. Its so quiet in touring mode that again, it about as quiet as my GMC Canyon which I would have never thought possible with headers and high flow cats. In Sport mode, this is where things start to get interesting, at idle and part throttle its noticeably louder than Touring mode and actually has a very nice deep growl to it. Overall in Sport its quieter than my AWE Touring exhaust but just loud enough to be quite enjoyable. I will most likely keep the exhaust in this mode for driving except for cold starts. In Track mode, its loud of course as you would expect since I assume the exhaust is probably fully open. I would say its VERY close to the AWE exhaust in this mode, but maybe 1-2db quieter, but its VERY close. I can't see myself using this mode except for those that want to hear the car fully opened up or racing. Overall I'm VERY pleased with the Corsa valved exhaust with the minor build quality issues aside. It does exactly what I wanted it do which is give me options from mild to wild. I did retain my AWE resonators too so not sure how much that affects the sound but resonators don't typically lower the volume much, just shape the sound and reduce raspiness. I do greatly miss the AWE exhaust tips, there's just no other exhaust that has 4.5" tips and they are the perfect size for that cut out in the rear fascia. The Corsa 4" tips look small in comparison but I'm sure I'll get use to it.
Old 04-26-2024, 06:59 AM   #19
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Got the axle back swapped yesterday and here's what I've learned...

First of all, it was not a direct swap because I tried to retain my AWE X-Pipe which is 3" and the Corsa axle back is also 3" (actually just slightly less, it would almost slip inside of the AWE X-Pipe but not quite) so it would not slip over the AWE X-Pipe. We decided to take the risk of expanding the Corsa axle back sytem but unfortunately it split which my exhaust guy said might happen with stainless steel because its so rigid compared to aluminized steel. So this necessitated him to cut off the split ends and fabricate some short 3" connection pipes out of aluminized steel. This worked but then we hit our next snag, we tried to use a 3" stepped band clamp to connect the Corsa system to the AWE X-Pipe with the new aluminized steel connection pipes and the clamps just wouldn't tighten down enough. At this point, I was very frustrated but had to keep moving forward so we chose to weld it. Obviously this works but you have to be spot on when welding because you won't get any further adjustments of the exhaust in the rear which can be a problem when trying to get the tips lined up. We managed to get them almost perfect, I have one tip that's maybe 1/8" off compared to the others but you would have to look hard to notice. Here's the kicker though, the outside right side tip wasn't even welded to the pipes like the others were. We didn't even notice until we started trying to adjust the tips to get them perfect and one of the tips just came off in my hands. Do you know how pissed I would have been if I drove off after having the exhaust installed and had a tip just fall off? DO BETTER CORSA! That's quality control 101 right there. So we had to weld that tip in place.

On to the sound. In Stealth mode, its so darn quiet, it almost sounds like my GMC Canyon with a V6. No lie! Cold starts are no longer an issue, its very uneventful in Stealth mode. In Touring mode, cold starts are still quite loud but as soon as the valves make the adjustment for touring mode after about 2-3 seconds it gets much quieter. Its so quiet in touring mode that again, it about as quiet as my GMC Canyon which I would have never thought possible with headers and high flow cats. In Sport mode, this is where things start to get interesting, at idle and part throttle its noticeably louder than Touring mode and actually has a very nice deep growl to it. Overall in Sport its quieter than my AWE Touring exhaust but just loud enough to be quite enjoyable. I will most likely keep the exhaust in this mode for driving except for cold starts. In Track mode, its loud of course as you would expect since I assume the exhaust is probably fully open. I would say its VERY close to the AWE exhaust in this mode, but maybe 1-2db quieter, but its VERY close. I can't see myself using this mode except for those that want to hear the car fully opened up or racing. Overall I'm VERY pleased with the Corsa valved exhaust with the minor build quality issues aside. It does exactly what I wanted it do which is give me options from mild to wild. I did retain my AWE resonators too so not sure how much that affects the sound but resonators don't typically lower the volume much, just shape the sound and reduce raspiness. I do greatly miss the AWE exhaust tips, there's just no other exhaust that has 4.5" tips and they are the perfect size for that cut out in the rear fascia. The Corsa 4" tips look small in comparison but I'm sure I'll get use to it.
I've had my issues with Corsa, and Borla on other cars.

On my 4th Gens, both my catbacks' tips were out of alignment. They replaced them, pretty much no questions asked, but BOTH had that problem.

I had an H2 with a Corsa on it, and the welds for the baffles inside broke, so it would buzz at certain speeds. They, too, replaced it, no questions asked (and didn't flinch when I upgraded to the louder SPORT muffler, which was cool), but I wasn't surprised, considering how complicated those mufflers are inside.

I'm an exhaust snob, and these things bugged me for the price of admission, but they stood behind their products, and that made it worth it in both situations. That stuff is so expensive, for the return, now, that I don't bother. And - I'm too old for a loud car all the time, lol...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 07:20 AM   #20
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
I also have the AWE axle back and have decided to go back to the suitcase. I have AR 3" long pipes so I cannot get any resonators to fit in the tunnel. I am running the GESI high flow cats and I will still get a sound louder than stock because of my build. I guess I just got tired of the loudness, live and learn.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 07:32 AM   #21
Z OH 6

Quote:
I also have the AWE axle back and have decided to go back to the suitcase. I have AR 3" long pipes so I cannot get any resonators to fit in the tunnel. I am running the GESI high flow cats and I will still get a sound louder than stock because of my build. I guess I just got tired of the loudness, live and learn.
So, similar to me but I still love the AWE sound however, I think without valves it just sounded perfect on a ZL1 with stock manifolds and cats and I bought the AWE before I knew how much headers and high flow cats were going to change the sound on this car. Honestly, it sounded so good with the stock manifolds, cats and AWE touring catback that I had considered removing my headers and high flow cats and going back to the stock manifolds and cats but Vengeance advised me against it and recommended I go back to the stock NPP exhaust instead so I chose to try Corsa over the stock exhaust. For some the AWE still might be perfect with headers and high flow cats but after 3 1/2 years for me, I was just ready for a change. I have my days when I still loved it but I also had days when I just wanted it quieter. Maybe I'm getting old.
Old 04-26-2024, 07:35 AM   #22
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I've had my issues with Corsa, and Borla on other cars.

On my 4th Gens, both my catbacks' tips were out of alignment. They replaced them, pretty much no questions asked, but BOTH had that problem.

I had an H2 with a Corsa on it, and the welds for the baffles inside broke, so it would buzz at certain speeds. They, too, replaced it, no questions asked (and didn't flinch when I upgraded to the louder SPORT muffler, which was cool), but I wasn't surprised, considering how complicated those mufflers are inside.

I'm an exhaust snob, and these things bugged me for the price of admission, but they stood behind their products, and that made it worth it in both situations. That stuff is so expensive, for the return, now, that I don't bother. And - I'm too old for a loud car all the time, lol...
Never had Borla but my exhaust guy just shook his head when I told him how much the Corsa exhaust costs and to have the fitment and quality issues we had, he just said, its ridiculous.
Old 04-26-2024, 07:44 AM   #23
Smokin19

Quote:
So, similar to me but I still love the AWE sound however, I think without valves it just sounded perfect on a ZL1 with stock manifolds and cats and I bought the AWE before I knew how much headers and high flow cats were going to change the sound on this car. Honestly, it sounded so good with the stock manifolds, cats and AWE touring catback that I had considered removing my headers and high flow cats and going back to the stock manifolds and cats but Vengeance advised me against it and recommended I go back to the stock NPP exhaust instead so I chose to try Corsa over the stock exhaust. For some the AWE still might be perfect with headers and high flow cats but after 3 1/2 years for me, I was just ready for a change. I have my days when I still loved it but I also had days when I just wanted it quieter. Maybe I'm getting old.
Understand the old thing (lol). I kept my suitcase just in case and glad I did. Good luck going forward.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Old 04-26-2024, 08:00 AM   #24
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Glad you got it sorted out and you at least ended up with the results you wanted. Sometimes things don't go quite as planned to get there unfortunately.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 08:01 AM   #25
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearded_Seamonkey View Post
I don't have any input to help you out...sorry. But I would like to get your opinion on how the corsa is in comparison to the AWE. Why are you switching? And if you wouldn't mind giving a review on the differences as you drive the corsa. Thanks!
Quote:
I would also like to hear a comparison video on the Corsa if you could.
Here's a comparison video I did a while back. It's really a toss up between these two as far as sound goes. Slight edge to Corsa for me.

Old 04-26-2024, 08:43 AM   #26
Smokin19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Here's a comparison video I did a while back. It's really a toss up between these two as far as sound goes. Slight edge to Corsa for me.

Thanks for bringing that video back Mlee. Off course those two cars are relatively stock. When you have a built engine it's completely different in sound. Mine with the AWE will sound off for miles around you can be sure.
Old 04-26-2024, 09:25 AM   #27
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Glad you got it sorted out and you at least ended up with the results you wanted. Sometimes things don't go quite as planned to get there unfortunately.
Par for the course with aftermarket parts so I'm use to it. Been there done that many times. I'm happy with the end result for sure, thankfully because I had to hack it up a bit to make it work. I suppose I could have bought Corsa's X-Pipe and connection pipes for another $900 and most of this could have been avoided but $900 saved is $900 I can apply to something else like my TCM tune.