Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-14-2019, 09:45 PM   #1
R1LEY

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE
ZL1 1LE replica spoiler flexing

So I have a ZL1 1LE style spoiler on my SS 1LE from Extreme Online Store that I got about a month ago and have a couple questions. Does anybody know if it's normal for the ends of the spoiler to bounce or flex at higher speeds? And if so, is there any way to stop it from happening or am I SOL?

I can be going 70 on the highway and see the end and winglet bounce up and down in the wind. I'd like to avoid selling it and getting a new one, so if anyone has any idea if it's a normal thing for a spoiler like that to flex at higher speeds then it's no big deal, but if not, I am open to ideas for fixing it. Also please don't shame me for going with a cheaper spoiler because I mostly did it for looks

Any help would be much appreciated!
R1LEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:56 PM   #2
Lemmy Camaro
Theoren Hanks

Drives: 17 Camaro SS
With these molded ABS splitters you will have this issue sadly. Only way to fix it would be to add some structural material underneath it to stiffen it up and find a better way to mount it to the bumper
Lemmy Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:34 PM   #3
R1LEY

Sorry, I should have clarified a little better that I was talking about the deck lid wing. But yeah I figured that’s how it was gonna be with abs parts. I’ve played around with the idea of skinning it in real carbon fiber or fiberglass, but the time and money that would be involved just wouldn’t be worth it. Also considered putting some kind of thin wood or metal bracket throughout the inside of the spoiler to stiffen it up but I’m worried that would be adding too much weight, and if I went with a material that wasn’t strong enough, it wouldn’t fix the problem.

I was hoping to see if it’s something people just knew about and lived with, or if they did something to fix it. It’s also weird to me that on all the posts about the abs plastic spoilers, no one ever mentions how they flex in the wind.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #4
Forcer

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
I have seen a similar issue with mine i purchased as well for my 18 camaro, the zl1 1le highwing. The brackets themselves are very firm when i try to use force on them, the top spoiler material i believe is meant to flex in the wind, it can be nerve racking to see it flexing while driving at high speeds, i check it regularly after driving on the highway or at high speeds for long periods of time.

As long as it was installed properly i believe the wind would and your speed would have to be very strong for it to want to fly or break off, but the install user error could be a factor, but again my stands are very strong but the winglet areas can flex and shake some but i never notice the spoiler itself move, just the corners that stick out.

You SHOULD be OK, but i have that same fear sometimes driving at high speeds when its windy outside even without the speed of the car as a factor.

Spending over $1,000 on this and painted for it to fly off would SUCK, it does make me nervous cause i was the one that installed it, and the only thing holding the spoiler to the brackets itself is plastic where the bolt screws into, i wish the material was metal or aluminum where they were actually mounted.
Forcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:18 PM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
if its a replica thats pretty normal...
Old 07-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #6
C7 Carbon

Drives: Camaro
Unless its a composite wing or GM wing, the plastic wings flex a lot and tend to vibrate / flap. Thats why we build ours in composites vs abs..
C7 Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:07 PM   #7
Joey Soul
The Mechanic

Drives: 1SS M
Run short screws in to in thru the oem spoiler holes.
BTR 225 w/CNC Heads|JLT intake|Speed Engineering 1"7/8 long tube and mid pipe|LT2 manifold w/95mmTb|Self tuned w/HPtuners|Silvers 2Way coilovers|Hotchkis front sway|Advan AD08R|BMR solid cradle bushings|Recaro SR7| Work ZR10 19"
Joey Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:44 AM   #8
WallsAndFoundations
IG: Infinite.Drive

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS in Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1LEY View Post
So I have a ZL1 1LE style spoiler on my SS 1LE from Extreme Online Store that I got about a month ago and have a couple questions. Does anybody know if it's normal for the ends of the spoiler to bounce or flex at higher speeds? And if so, is there any way to stop it from happening or am I SOL?

I can be going 70 on the highway and see the end and winglet bounce up and down in the wind. I'd like to avoid selling it and getting a new one, so if anyone has any idea if it's a normal thing for a spoiler like that to flex at higher speeds then it's no big deal, but if not, I am open to ideas for fixing it. Also please don't shame me for going with a cheaper spoiler because I mostly did it for looks

Any help would be much appreciated!
As C7 said, this is gonna be an unfortunately normal occurence with any ABS stuff. The high rise wings will see a fair bit more wind resistance and will essentially be "holding" a lot of air. You need something strong and tensile to be able to do that type of duty without flexing or bending, as you have to imagine given enough speed, these are seeing potentially hundreds if not more pounds of down force, would you trust that to plastic?

Replace with OEM or something made of strong composite like C7s replica parts and you'll be Gucci-gang

Fight your mind
WallsAndFoundations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:40 PM   #9
R1LEY

Thanks for all the response everyone! I assumed that was the case with abs versus composites.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:34 PM   #10
orange devil
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 SS 2019 mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by C7 Carbon View Post
Unless its a composite wing or GM wing, the plastic wings flex a lot and tend to vibrate / flap. Thats why we build ours in composites vs abs..
had a chance to see one of yours in person very impressive just can't decide if I want the gloss black or carbon fiber LOL
orange devil is offline   Reply With Quote