Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-26-2019, 09:44 PM   #15
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun37 View Post
My 1SS/1LE is new (200 miles) and the 1-2 is really pissing me off because the trans wants to pull it into 4. I wouldn't characterize the transmission as shifting smooth at all in any gear.

1. how do I kill that blasted message?
2. only way I've found to semi-reliably get the 1-2 to cooperate is to pull fast and hard on the shifter. If I'm sedate about the movment then whatever lip the dog hits that's tries to shunt to 4 has a almost perfect record of succeeding.

Whomever GM engineer thought this was a good thing needs to be taken out back and shot. If someone is driving a stick they bloody well know how to do 1-3 or 1-4.
It is pulling into 4th because of skip shift function.
If you add rpm it goes away. Easy peasy. Or you can get a cheap mod to turn the feature off. Do NOT force it into 2nd if u get the message as this can mess things up.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:20 AM   #16
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Saved u a bunch of gas guzzler tax so say you’re sorry. Give that engineer a kiss. Spend the $10 and get the cags delete
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:49 AM   #17
shogun37

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
If you add rpm it goes away. Easy peasy.
Hmm, it does? What's the magic number? I've shifted north of 3 grand and it still fights me unless I'm mis-remembering. I'll go pay attention more closely.

It feels like to me there is a spring that's pulling on the shift forks (or pushing on the drum) so that if you don't shift quickly the fork finds the cut-out. I've gotten the shifter stuck in no-man's land a few times now where it gets hung up and I can't go into 2 or 4. I reset to 3 and then come back to 2.

So this crap is all down to a CAFE-dodge? I wondered why the Shelby has a $1600 guzzler tax and the Camaro didn't.
shogun37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:23 AM   #18
TrackClub

Quote:
Hmm, it does? What's the magic number? I've shifted north of 3 grand and it still fights me unless I'm mis-remembering. I'll go pay attention more closely.

It feels like to me there is a spring that's pulling on the shift forks (or pushing on the drum) so that if you don't shift quickly the fork finds the cut-out. I've gotten the shifter stuck in no-man's land a few times now where it gets hung up and I can't go into 2 or 4. I reset to 3 and then come back to 2.

So this crap is all down to a CAFE-dodge? I wondered why the Shelby has a $1600 guzzler tax and the Camaro didn't.
Dont know the magic number per se but if you stay in the throttle just a bit longer, or harder - the feature turns off.
This has been on Vettes and Camaros for decades.
Most folks spend a few bucks and eliminate it.
I did on my Vette but i am not bothered by it on my 1le.
Under no circumastances try to force it into 2nd as this will eff things up in a hurry. PS The owners manual warns about it. PSS basically GM just saved ya $1600 bucks
Old 05-29-2019, 09:59 PM   #19
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
My shift from 1st to 2nd when cold is a little notchy, and I did change the fluid. So now when it's cold I do a double shift and it's smooth as butter. Once warmed up the notchiness goes away...not completely, but significantly less. Double clutching has zero notchiness.
I'm taking my car to the dealer next week for a CEL = rough idle at cold start up, and I'll ask if there's anything they can do about the shifting...not sure if the clutch has any adjustments or not, but we'll see what they say.

As for the skip shift, I usually shift between 2700 - 3000 and don't have a problem, but as if you stay in it longer it will not be a problem...sometimes I get a Rev Match at up shifting to second too!
Old 05-29-2019, 11:08 PM   #20
TrackClub

Good luck hope the dealer does some magic for ya. I also have a bit if notchiness when cold but make a point of letting her warm up. Then all is smooth.
I usually shift about 3500, but when not i just let the guide slide it into 4th. Got used to it pretty easily.
All it took is just a few minor driver adjustments for me.
Cheers!
Old 05-31-2019, 08:34 AM   #21
OVRKLL

I noticed yesterday, the message does not come on before 14mph, at 15mph it will come on. I was able to shift anywhere between 1-14mph into second.
Even if I come to a rolling stop and shift into first, I can continue on and shift into second without any problems. Once I come to a complete stop, the message and skip shift will come on at 15mph.
I didn't look at the RPMs, which might be somewhere around 1300 - 1600 I think...not sure though.
So for those that do not want to shift at 3000 - 3500, you can shift at 14mph or less.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:15 AM   #22
shogun37

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRKLL View Post
you can shift at 14mph or less.
hmm I don't think I can bring myself to do that more than once or twice. I shift pretty much everything I own at 2500RPM or north when in first gear. I find the Camaro clutch to be incredibly heavy and very small friction zone which makes for challenging pull-aways. I generally have 1200+ rpm when engaging this clutch. On my mustang and GTI I can consistently and uneventfully pull away with 900-1000rpm on the tach. Clutch feel is excellent/forgiving on those cars.
shogun37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:51 PM   #23
Canadian Steve

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Dont know the magic number per se but if you stay in the throttle just a bit longer, or harder - the feature turns off.
This has been on Vettes and Camaros for decades.
Most folks spend a few bucks and eliminate it.
I did on my Vette but i am not bothered by it on my 1le.
Under no circumastances try to force it into 2nd as this will eff things up in a hurry. PS The owners manual warns about it. PSS basically GM just saved ya $1600 bucks

You can also just let it pop into neutral on the way to second and then push left and down to get it into second. It only takes a fraction of a second longer and if it's trying to skip shift you're not driving that aggressively anyway, so this little side-step shouldn't cause much issue.
Canadian Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:04 PM   #24
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Steve View Post
You can also just let it pop into neutral on the way to second and then push left and down to get it into second. It only takes a fraction of a second longer and if it's trying to skip shift you're not driving that aggressively anyway, so this little side-step shouldn't cause much issue.
Ya I suspect there a few methods to work around it.
I just either add more thorttle, or simply let it guide it to 4th in normal dd situations. No big deal imo.
And certainly never an issue at a track
Old 05-31-2019, 09:15 PM   #25
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Although I have an A8, I did check a stock M6 tune after reading this thread, and I think setting this parameter to 0% will take care of it. Assuming one is already tuned, it seems worth a try.
Attached Images

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:54 AM   #26
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Although I have an A8, I did check a stock M6 tune after reading this thread, and I think setting this parameter to 0% will take care of it. Assuming one is already tuned, it seems worth a try.
I maxed the vehicle speed too but yeah that works
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:47 PM   #27
OVRKLL

Quote:
hmm I don't think I can bring myself to do that more than once or twice. I shift pretty much everything I own at 2500RPM or north when in first gear. I find the Camaro clutch to be incredibly heavy and very small friction zone which makes for challenging pull-aways. I generally have 1200+ rpm when engaging this clutch. On my mustang and GTI I can consistently and uneventfully pull away with 900-1000rpm on the tach. Clutch feel is excellent/forgiving on those cars.
Yeah me neither, I was just putting it out there for the OP as options to get around this.
Never a problem for me, but since it's different strokes for different folks, just thought I'd post the options.
However, I don't think the clutch is heavy at all, but then again I have nothing to compare it with and I can't recall what my euro cars felt like...I know the '72 Ford 350 I drove for work way back then was definitely heavy!