Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-20-2019, 03:56 PM   #1
brianxix

Drives: 2019 2LT RS
How do you care for your cars finish?

I brought a 19 RS Camaro last month. I'd like to keep the car looking shiny and new, while protecting the paint. I'm on the fence on what to do(PPF wrap, ceramic coat etc), and I'd like to hear what you've done, or are planning to do
Thanks
brianxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:55 PM   #2
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
I think that most owners who have their cars exposed to the element use ceramic and get ppf on high risk areas. Other like me who are lucky enough to have a garage may go with just wax or ceramic, but less often.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:03 PM   #3
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
wash and wax. ceramic coat scratches just as easy and is harder to clean bugs off of. get a scratch and you have to have the ceramic coat buffed off scratch fixed and then replied for $500 or more. scratch a waxed car. buff re wax. cost under $100. but everyone on here will say otherwise because the spent $1200 to get it done.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:40 AM   #4
brianxix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
wash and wax. ceramic coat scratches just as easy and is harder to clean bugs off of. get a scratch and you have to have the ceramic coat buffed off scratch fixed and then replied for $500 or more. scratch a waxed car. buff re wax. cost under $100. but everyone on here will say otherwise because the spent $1200 to get it done.
The detail shop guy suggested suntex PPF for $1200 and said something similar concerning ceramic coat. A friend also suggested the wash/wax with F11. Thanks!!!
Old 07-21-2019, 08:52 AM   #5
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Despite the last sentence above, I can say, honestly, that my Ceramic Pro 9H Coating has not scratched easily. Dirt and bugs just wipe right off (it's one of the reasons I coated the car). And when I do need a repair, it will be covered by my warranty and will be handled during my annual top-off maintenance visit (~$150).

I absolutely love how my Camaro's finish looks practically showroom-new with very little effort, but I do have a few rock dings on the front fascia due to daily driving it (>45k miles). Recommend PPF on vulnerable areas before ceramic, if you decide to go that route...

Good luck!

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #6
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianxix View Post
The detail shop guy suggested suntex PPF for $1200 and said something similar concerning ceramic coat. A friend also suggested the wash/wax with F11. Thanks!!!
Self healing PPF + durable Hydrophobic coating is the very best price/performance solution for keeping the paint looking great long term. I recommend:
  • Suntek Ultra and Gtechniq EXO.
  • Ceramic on top of PPF is a waste. But DO put hydrophobic coatings on PPF.
  • Save the ceramic for any areas not covered with PPF and for the grille wheels.

Spend some time in the Cosmetic Maintenance section of the forums. Tons of excellent topics, discussions and debates by our resident experts.

Here's a list of do's and don'ts from one of our better threads...
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...76&postcount=5
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:15 AM   #7
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
I use Adams car wax and detail supplies. My SS is a weekend car and covered in the spare garage when I’m not at a car show, cars and coffee or just out for a ride.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #8
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
i disagree with the statements about ceramic coating. several times i thought mine would’ve been scratched but the marks in the affected area simply wiped off. bugs are hit or miss, i can get about 90% of them with the hose, takes little effort to get the remainder. i had paint work done at 6k miles, no real blemishes but a lot of little stuff got cleaned up. now at 12k miles it’s evident that the coating works as the car has no new damage. like most of you, i’m very astute. paint and body damage has a beacon on it...

i didn’t pay anywhere near $1200 for the coating, a friend of mine helped me out. i covered material and a bit more. he had the car 5 days and it shows when you’re up close, black car and absolutely gorgeous.
s346k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:07 AM   #9
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
I use Chemical Guys and Meguiars products.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:10 AM   #10
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
We have had this discussion many times in the cosmetic detailing sub forum below. Come on down!
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #11
brianxix

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
We have had this discussion many times in the cosmetic detailing sub forum below. Come on down!
Thank you.....now I'm off to read/research

Last edited by brianxix; 07-21-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:13 PM   #12
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
get a scratch and you have to have the ceramic coat buffed off scratch fixed and then replied for $500 or more.
That's an expensive reply! What did the scratch say?
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:37 PM   #13
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:

Harder to clean the bugs off???

I have my Camaro and daily driver 2019 Silverado ceramic coated (DIY Adams). Makes washing/drying easy. I also have clearbra on the front ends on both. Best of both worlds IMO. Protection plus spend less time cleaning. I also ceramic coated my calipers right before camarofest (NCM trackday). They were coated in brakedust afterwards. Very easy to clean glad I did this a week beforehand.

Ryan B.
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:33 AM   #14
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
around here, where our water is close to granite, I prefer to not ceramic coat my vehicles anymore. I would if I had a garage to keep them in, but alas, I do not. I've tried several, several products, and I keep sticking with hydro2. Easy to apply, and it works.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote