Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 06-01-2018, 06:47 AM   #1
GTSLOW
Daily Driven 1LE

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Anyone with Borla 60606? Secondary cat deleted midpipes.

Do these really just bolt in place like the advertisement says? I'd love to have the ability to bolt in a new exhaust system and swap back to stock if needed. Apparently it works with the stock NPP too?

To good to be true or is cutting required?
Old 06-01-2018, 07:32 AM   #2
TMS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE - HBM, PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSLOW View Post
Do these really just bolt in place like the advertisement says? I'd love to have the ability to bolt in a new exhaust system and swap back to stock if needed. Apparently it works with the stock NPP too?

To good to be true or is cutting required?
If you are trying to retain the stock muffler then you will still need to cut. If you are going to swap out the stock muffler too, then you can pull the stock exhaust out as one unit from the primary cats all the way back. And 60606 will just bolt right up. I just went though this. However, conventional wisdom says (as cited by a couple of other forum members and I took their lead), you need to replace the stock sealing joint coupler just behind the driver side primary cat with the Borla provided Accuseal clamp and the rest is easy peasy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
JRE Tuned (HPTuners) | 15% OD (9.17" crank pulley) | TVS2300 Maggie Heartbeat Supercharger - 14 psi | E-50 (DSX Flex Fuel kit) | JMS FuelMax Fuel Pump Booster | LPE Big Bore High Volume DI fuel pump | LPE High Flow DI fuel injectors | LT5 95mm TB | RotoFab CAI | AEM X-Series OBD2 wide band gauge | Elite Engineering E2-X catch can | Borla S-type NPP Cat-Back 3" exhaust | Forgeline GTD1 5-lug Satin Graphite | SunTek wrap | C-Quartz Finest Reserve ceramic coated
TMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:21 PM   #3
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
I know it’s a solution, but borla stuff isn’t cheap. I’d rather not cut anything, they really need to offer the right part so everything is bolt on
Old 06-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #4
TMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
I know it’s a solution, but borla stuff isn’t cheap. I’d rather not cut anything, they really need to offer the right part so everything is bolt on
Borla isn't the problem. The factory exhaust is all one piece and welded together from the secondary cats through to the exhaust tips. If you are trying to retain any part of the stock exhaust such as the muffler and tips, there is no way around cutting it.

On the other hand, if you are willing to replace the stock exhaust with a full cat-back connecting from the primary cats then it is a straight bolt on with no cutting of the factory exhaust required.
JRE Tuned (HPTuners) | 15% OD (9.17" crank pulley) | TVS2300 Maggie Heartbeat Supercharger - 14 psi | E-50 (DSX Flex Fuel kit) | JMS FuelMax Fuel Pump Booster | LPE Big Bore High Volume DI fuel pump | LPE High Flow DI fuel injectors | LT5 95mm TB | RotoFab CAI | AEM X-Series OBD2 wide band gauge | Elite Engineering E2-X catch can | Borla S-type NPP Cat-Back 3" exhaust | Forgeline GTD1 5-lug Satin Graphite | SunTek wrap | C-Quartz Finest Reserve ceramic coated
Old 06-01-2018, 01:35 PM   #5
17Blk1LE

Drives: 2017 Black Camaro SS 1lE
My question would be does a CEL come on installing the Borla mid pipe?
17Blk1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:50 PM   #6
TMS

That was precisely my question too. Just finished the install last night so I don't have any specific experience to share yet. However there are a number of posts that indicate since the secondary cats are not monitored you will not get any CELs. However, some have noted getting CELs but was determined to be a leaky connection at the slip joint just after the primary cat (rear O2 sensors would pick this leak up). With the leak fixed, CEL goes away.

We shall see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Blk1LE View Post
Old 06-01-2018, 02:38 PM   #7
breadwoman

Drives: FRS
I recently had a shop install the 60606 and CEL came on due to the shop re-using the OEM clamp on the driver side as mentioned in the post above.

The OEM clamp has since been cut off and replaced with the clamp Borla supplied and the CEL went away. We also applied some RTV to ensure a seal.

Hopefully that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Blk1LE View Post
breadwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:33 PM   #8
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMS View Post
That was precisely my question too. Just finished the install last night so I don't have any specific experience to share yet. However there are a number of posts that indicate since the secondary cats are not monitored you will not get any CELs. However, some have noted getting CELs but was determined to be a leaky connection at the slip joint just after the primary cat (rear O2 sensors would pick this leak up). With the leak fixed, CEL goes away.

We shall see.

How happy are you with the S type?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:59 PM   #9
TMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
How happy are you with the S type?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very, very happy. I went with the NPP option. Still quiet enough in the cab to not be overwhelming. Behind the car is a different story. Seems the noise difference between Tour (stealth) mode and Track mode is less than that of stock. Not as subdued in Tour as was when factory stock.

At high RPM with quick decel you do get a fair bit of the Rice Krispies effect (snap, crackle, and pop) under the right conditions. If you like that, it's awesome sounding. If you don't, you probably would want to either add resonators or keep the secondary cats or go with a different setup.

I have another thread I started a few days ago. I made a video of the before and after installs while on the lift. I also made a before video of the idle and revs with factory exhaust. And then just finished up the video of the Borla exhaust so you can hear the before and after. Under the same conditions. I'll be uploading and posting the Borla videos tonight.

Last edited by TMS; 06-03-2018 at 10:52 AM.