Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-27-2018, 01:50 PM   #15
modestech

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 1LT V6
Noted. I thought they suffered more. Learn something new everyday.
modestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:57 PM   #16
modestech

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 1LT V6
https://www.quora.com/Are-either-tur...opical-climate

Seems he agrees with what I'd heard. : )
modestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:07 PM   #17
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
N/A cars are more greatly affected by DA....

FI cars make their own atmospheric pressure, so to speak.

Ever wonder why you look at a DA correction calculator and the NA motors always shave more time off their ET by using a DA correction factor? That's because they are effected more.

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:25 PM   #18
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Unless the track is completely junk your car wont spin enough to worry about tire pressure or how to launch. Don't do a burnout, just a quick spin to clear off the tire. Last yellow, punch it from idle, let the car shift on it's own, leave TC off. Don't worry about running premium, your car is already running based off of junk gas so there won't be enough drive cycles for the ECU to add back timing and increase any performance.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:58 PM   #19
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Heat affects all engines, if its hot tonight you will be loosing power. Don't take a chance on spinning, go around the water and back into the water. Pull forward a little and start the tires spinning while holding the car still with the foot brake until you see a little smoke. Stage so you just barely turn on the second stage light. If your running just for a good ET, don't worry about the lights , sit there as long as you want after the light turns green. The clock doesn't start for you until you are ready to leave, let the other guy go. Concentrate on a good hard leave. Stomp the gas pedal to flash the converter , same time as releasing the brake. Just hold to the boards the whole trip. Leave the auto trans in drive, don't paddle shift it. And yes , put some fresh 93 octane gas in it, especially if the tank is 1/8 tank before you put in the 93. try and have only a 1/2 tank for your pass.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:07 AM   #20
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
Unless the track is completely junk your car wont spin enough to worry about tire pressure or how to launch. Don't do a burnout, just a quick spin to clear off the tire. Last yellow, punch it from idle, let the car shift on it's own, leave TC off. Don't worry about running premium, your car is already running based off of junk gas so there won't be enough drive cycles for the ECU to add back timing and increase any performance.
Premium fuel will ward off spark knock, knock sensor retards timing when it detects spark knock
Old 07-28-2018, 11:20 AM   #21
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
Premium fuel will ward off spark knock, knock sensor retards timing when it detects spark knock
I'm aware. But if you've been running 87 the whole time before, the ECU is already on a map retarding the timing to remove the knock. Adding premium fuel won't suddenly add more timing and power, it takes many drive cycles for this to happen. You need to run 91-93 fuel consistently to get the added benefits of it. Going back and forth is just wasting your money.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:16 PM   #22
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
I'm aware. But if you've been running 87 the whole time before, the ECU is already on a map retarding the timing to remove the knock. Adding premium fuel won't suddenly add more timing and power, it takes many drive cycles for this to happen. You need to run 91-93 fuel consistently to get the added benefits of it. Going back and forth is just wasting your money.
The ECU has low timing tables and high timing tables, every time the knock sensor detects knock it lowers timing and runs in that timing table for quite some time. The ECU eventually adds some timing as long as no knock is heard. The ECU completely resets after a fill up from less than a 1/4 tank of fuel to a higher timing table and that's the time to get immediate spark advance or a move to the higher timing table and the time to load the car with 93 octane. The knock sensor will probably never experience knock with 93 octane and the ECU high timing table will be constantly used.
Just one hint of spark knock with 87 octane on a WOT pull and retard spark here we come. Even if you lug the engine a little or on a typical hot summer day, your going to have spark knock with this wonderful little 11.5 to 1 compression ratio engine with 87 octane constantly keeping the engine in the low timing tables. Timing is horsepower, timing is gas mileage.

I realize the 3.6 was designed and is tuned to run on 87 octane safely. But there are high and low timing tables for a reason. dyno a heat soaked 3.6 after many tanks of 87 and again after many tanks of 93, I would bet a minimum of a 10 hp difference.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:36 PM   #23
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
Maybe I'm just made of money, but it's usually an extra 0.10/gallon for 89 over 87 in my neck of the woods. So it's not even an extra $2 to fill your tank up with 89 a few days before the race. For $2, it's a pretty cheap price for peace of mind. I mean I spend more than that to get a large order of fries. And will it hurt anything, having 89 in there?

Maybe I'm just a little reckless with my money

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote