Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-26-2016, 06:35 AM   #29
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
The suede on the steering wheel and shifter were nice for about 6 months and then you realize that the suede gets all matted down and is difficult to keep looking nice. I was watching YouTube videos of folks giving demonstrations of how to carefully fluff the suede back and all this other tedious Bologna. The leather steering wheel is much more practical.
I've had a few Alcantara/suede steering wheels, up keep is easy. Key is to not let it get matted down. There are products that help with this. But even if it's trashed from neglect, in about 15 minutes with this cheap $20 kit, it will look like new again.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...iglink20999-20

Last edited by SS 1LE; 05-26-2016 at 08:12 AM.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:52 AM   #30
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
As a previous 1LE owner I will list a few of the pros and cons from my perspective.

Pros

- More aggressive look, via wheels, tires, aero bits like splitter, painted calipers, hood wrap. Looks awesome.
- More track hardware at a discounted bundle price, e-diff, upgraded suspension components, MRC, 6 piston brakes, Track design Recaro seats, etc.

Cons
- The hood wrap is a pain. To keep it looking nice you need to treat it with a vinyl cleaner, etc. It can get water spots and other junk that is much harder to clean than clear coat. Plan on peeling it off and re-wrapping it every few years.
- While the Goodyear tires are super sticky for the track, which is great, they can be annoying for daily driving since they throw lots of pebbles, etc. up on the paint. Also, they have terrible cold weather performance and can even crack at low temperatures. Folks in cold climates usually need another set of wheels. Also, these tires only last 10-12k miles and have no run-flat tech, so plan on a tire sealant kit and inflator.
- The suede steering wheel and shifter are nice at first but I learned 6 months later that suede doesn't wear well. It becomes matted down and no longer feels softer than regular leather. You can try to fluff up the suede and clean it, but it is just a hassle. I don't miss it at all.
- With the Gen 5 1LE, you could load up the car the same way as a loaded 2SS if you wanted. I had a 2SS with NPP, NAV and sunroof, which was technically the most content you could get in a Gen5. With The new 1LE looks like they will balance the content to offset the cost of the track hardware. This is where the decision will be harder for most folks. The reality is you will probably make use of all the creature comforts of a loaded 2SS but most won't take advantage of the track prowess of the 1LE.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:12 AM   #31
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:

Cons
- The hood wrap is a pain. To keep it looking nice you need to treat it with a vinyl cleaner, etc. It can get water spots and other junk that is much harder to clean than clear coat. Plan on peeling it off and re-wrapping it every few years.
It's not nearly as hard as you make it out. My buddy has a 1LE he has daily driven to the tune of 76,000 miles, and his hood wrap still looks like the day he picked it up. Key is to sponge wash it regularly and they actually sell "wrap" treatment that keeps it looking good.

Quote:
- While the Goodyear tires are super sticky for the track, which is great, they can be annoying for daily driving since they throw lots of pebbles, etc. up on the paint. Also, they have terrible cold weather performance and can even crack at low temperatures. Folks in cold climates usually need another set of wheels. Also, these tires only last 10-12k miles and have no run-flat tech, so plan on a tire sealant kit and inflator.
Somebody buying a "track package" should be fully aware of these things if you ask me. A little clear bra film behind the tires takes care of the road debris issue. Most ultra high performance tires do not perform as well below 50*, that is how they are designed, as most don't run on the track in low temperatures anyway and more heat equals more grip on any tire.

Quote:
- The suede steering wheel and shifter are nice at first but I learned 6 months later that suede doesn't wear well. It becomes matted down and no longer feels softer than regular leather. You can try to fluff up the suede and clean it, but it is just a hassle. I don't miss it at all.
I don't get this. No offense, but does anybody maintain the stuff as you are suppose to lol? It isn't technically suede even though everybody calls it that, suede is much harder to maintain for sure, but cars use Alcantara which is synthetic suede. Which is a further improved product by far when compared to suede. If you clean it with a Alcantra/suede cleaner every month or so depending on use it is cake. Takes a few minutes to maintain it. Even if it has been neglected, the cleaner I posted in the above post takes no time to make it look like new. IMO, leather is harder to maintain properly. It needs to be cleaned and conditioned, and some leather is coated and you need to be very careful of what you use on that. People just don't seem to fully understand how to maintain Alcantara/suede.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:52 AM   #32
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
It's not nearly as hard as you make it out. My buddy has a 1LE he has daily driven to the tune of 76,000 miles, and his hood wrap still looks like the day he picked it up. Key is to sponge wash it regularly and they actually sell "wrap" treatment that keeps it looking good.

Somebody buying a "track package" should be fully aware of these things if you ask me. A little clear bra film behind the tires takes care of the road debris issue. Most ultra high performance tires do not perform as well below 50*, that is how they are designed, as most don't run on the track in low temperatures anyway and more heat equals more grip on any tire.

I don't get this. No offense, but does anybody maintain the stuff as you are suppose to lol? It isn't technically suede even though everybody calls it that, suede is much harder to maintain for sure, but cars use Alcantara which is synthetic suede. Which is a further improved product by far when compared to suede. If you clean it with a Alcantra/suede cleaner every month or so depending on use it is cake. Takes a few minutes to maintain it. Even if it has been neglected, the cleaner I posted in the above post takes no time to make it look like new. IMO, leather is harder to maintain properly. It needs to be cleaned and conditioned, and some leather is coated and you need to be very careful of what you use on that. People just don't seem to fully understand how to maintain Alcantara/suede.
I have to agree with you. When you wash and detail your car, do the suede as well. Like most things, its easier to keep up than catch up. But it can be done. I have around 14500 on my 13 and I just got a new set of tires and the wrap looks as good as the day I bought it. Just a little love and care goes a long way.

I also tell everyone who gets a Camaro that the best advice I got when I bought mine was to immediately get clear bra from the Camaro lettering to the rocker behind the front tires, the entire front portion of the rear quarter (from the door to tire well up to the natural crease of the door), and the area just aft of the rear tires on the rear bumper. Those areas plus the nose have kept my paint chip free.
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:29 PM   #33
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by clanky View Post
My understanding is leather, heated/cooled seats, heads up display, automatic trans (only manual for 1LE((not a bad thing heh)). Bose audio system, Rear parking assist, blind zone alert, heated steering wheel, the interior decor and lighting, wireless charging pad, and memory seat and mirrors. I know it seems kinda redundant... But I do wish the 1LE had most of these things, although would obviously be going against what it is built to do. The main thing I hate to give up is the HUD seems simple and overlooked, but I like it lol. And leather. It will still be a great car though just not for me.
leather seats ( awful for tracking)

blind zone.... get a $2 mini mirror set for your side mirrors....

heated steering wheel.. its made of alcantara... it warms up very quickly to the touch....

wireless charging pad.... in a very awkward spot.... doesnt work for iphones.... doesnt work if you have anything else in there.... you have conventional charging which works much faster anyway....

look... its really come down to if you want to track the car or not.... or how important great handling is when bombing along a winding country road.... personally these are small luxuries I can go without for that ability.... audio system is something you can add later as well...

Last edited by aa406079; 05-28-2016 at 06:52 PM.
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote