Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 08-28-2018, 06:46 PM   #15
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainOldV6 View Post
Polynesian,

A bit off topic, but while you're here...could I ask why you decided to switch to the GMPP intake from the AFE one you used to have? Was it throwing codes, or did you just want to address any potential warranty issues?
2 part decision. warranty wasn't really one of em to be honest.

So my 1st Reason, the GM intake, if you look at it, mimics what rotofab more than likely would have done. it also is around the same style box as what was on the Z/28 setup, stock, on the 5th gen.

Origianlly I wanted an open filter intake. if you check the old roto-fab posts, I've been waiting since 2016. no luck. look back to Camaro5 forums when I had the 2013 camaro, I had the rotofab. loved it. open box, easy to access filter, and took up less space. our cars don't need "closed boxes" which are not really closed, else (common sense) how would the air get in? when the hood is closed on the rotofab, or gm intake, the top of the box seals against the hood, making it essentially, "closed". it worked on the Z/28 from the factory.

I get it, "closed" boxes make it look "cool" when the hood is open, you can add stickers and lights, etc...some companies add heat shielding, etc... but when a car is in motion, 3 things to think about:

1) air flows through the front end, past the radiators, and around the engine bay, so its constantly being cooled under the hood when in motion. that's why hood vents vent heat. air comes in the front, and out either the back side of the engine bay, or through a vent on the hood.

2) composite boxes don't really need heat shielding inside. it doesn't retain heat as metal does... hence the reason the LLT -> LFX intake manifolds went from aluminum to composite... and now on the LGX one, and pretty much most cars today, its composite. even aftermarket like the MSD one for the v8's... easier to manufacture, doesn't retain heat like metal does, and lighter.

I'm just not into performance for making things shiny, bright, etc... I just want function first really.

2nd Reason,would be the GM Reflash.

I bought the AFE because after almost a year, it was the first one out. I've had their products before, (2007 dodge charger, afe stage 2 intake) which ironically was more so like the Roto-fab on the 5th gens. the new AFE intake we have is a new design for em. but like said, first out. I snagged it. their product hadn't steered me wrong in the past.

it works pretty decently. the way it works is it allows more airflow to occur and it more or less compensates for the extra airflow, by the ECU adjusting long term fuel trims (theres a post on the GM intake that's like pages and pages long) but I posted the LT fuel trim levels screen caps. I was running anywhere from +13 to +21% fuel trim depending on the bank, ambient temps, and speeds where concerned. its not bad as the computer is adjusting the pulse width to compensate for the extra air. it works. but you tend to start getting towards being out of the range of how far the injectors will go before a tune is needed to recalibrate the maf sensor. its within that range for the A8 autos. some manual peeps had issues.

anyone who has been around mustang guys, should know, that when they add an intake on many of their setups, be it v6 or v8, the intake requires a "tune". its nothing out of the ordinary. it just recalibrates the computer so the MAF sensor can read the extra airflow.

I have still yet to get the car tuned by a tuner, but wanted to see what the GM reflash did to the trims. this I also posted in that GM intake post that's pretty long. the fuel trims returned to stock levels (between 0 to +3% on avg. and the trims now go back into the negative when at speed and letting off the gas. that means the ecu is pulling fuel. which it did on the AFE as well. but the levels rarely went into the negative. so the fuel trim was always in the teens for most of the time and may dip down to +5 to +7 even while pulling fuel on deceleration.

so in a nutshell...

- the design I prefer. everything is molded, no metal, just composite and rubber basically. simple, easy to access.

- and it comes with a reflash, that will get your fuel trims in order, via a tweak on the maf sensor. At the time of purchase I had only the computer desktop I built, and no laptop. but since the GM intake, I've bought a laptop and hp tuners.

one can essentially do the SAME thing with the AFE, but you'll have to source out a tuner.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote