Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-14-2021, 02:32 PM   #1
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Driving Car in Smoky Air - Damage Potential?

For those that don't know, the Pacific NW is on fire. Smoky air everywhere; levels that are dangerous for human consumption.

Smoky air contains a lot of particulate matter (PM), specifically PM2.5, very tiny particles that are only 2.5 microns or smaller in diameter (a strand of hair is about 50-70 microns across), and PM10 slightly larger but still tiny particles.

I've searched quite a few online sources, but could not find the PM2.5 or PM10 efficiency rating of the factory OEM air filter that GM uses in the Camaro. I'm most interested in PM2.5 data since I suspect the factory filter does a good job on PM10. I have a ZL1 but assume the air filter eff. ratings will be similar across the Camaro line. Does anybody have a link to that information? The best I could find was K&N's eff. data for the ZL1 air filter, which is 96%+ for the "coarse" air test, which includes 22% particles below 10 microns (PM10), the rest (78%) between 10 and 180 microns. It didn't say anything about PM2.5.

In addition, I'm looking for someone who has done research, or is an expert of the effects of PM2.5 contained in the intake air on an internal combustion engine. I'm concerned tiny particulate matter is being ingested with the intake air and acting like an extremely fine sand piper in the engine, causing microscopic abrasions and other damage to the cylinder walls, piston rings, etc. Issues due to that type of wear won't show up now, but may be an issue as mileage increases.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:43 PM   #2
COKen

Drives: '21 Camao SS, BMW 435i, M Roadster
Not sure about how it will effect the engine, but it will definitely mess with your paint.
COKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:44 PM   #3
Wierd Harold

Drives: 2017 2lt rs
Don't forget cabin air filter.
Wierd Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:59 PM   #4
Heat Magnet

Drives: 2021 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
I think mostly filters and the paint will be affected by the smoky dust. We had wildfires here in NorCal a couple of years ago (or was it a year ago?) which affected the entire Bay Area. My car was coated in whatever charred dust that the wind carried over from the wildfire sites to where I lived and worked.
  2. 2021 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS Coupe
    Black, Redline Edition, 1LE Suspension Package, 10L80 transmission, NPP, Body color high wing spoiler, Ground effects kit, 48-state legal Brembo brakes
Heat Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:39 PM   #5
matt fe2o3

Drives: 2SS Hyper Blue
Ash and smoke damage to paint is usually covered under comprehensive coverage on insurance. Dependent upon the carrier and damage you may have you could get anything up to a respray. It was very common here in N.Cal during the fires. Of course a lot depends on the age and condition. Keep very good records and photos. Have the car evaluated by the dealer's preferred body shop in advance of calling your adjuster. Here in Cal comprehensive claims don't impact your rating/record like an at fault accident.

Honestly I am not sure what help wax will be and how or what type of wax may or may not react with ash.

On filters, go purchase several cabin and engine air filters. Change them every month. In desert and dusty conditions it's mandatory. Sometimes more frequently.

The OEM engine air filters do a super job and last a long time in normal conditions but with smoke, haze and ash particles you want to be proactive. IMHO.
Old 07-14-2021, 06:55 PM   #6
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
No effect on your Camaro.
Old 07-14-2021, 07:17 PM   #7
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
I'm concerned.
Don't be.