Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-21-2021, 07:57 AM   #1
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Weird OTA update this morning

Go to work and car said update ready, will take 11 minutes etc...

Put the car in 1. Put on ebrake. Turned off car. Hit update.

When I got out the stereo was still playing and the screan went back to the normal icons. The car was definetely off. So I got back in started up the car pulled forwards then backed back in to my spot. Turned off the car and all appeared normal but the update did not run. So i went into setting and it said up to date.

Weird

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:49 PM   #2
Hotwheeltat

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE
Completely normal when an update is needed. Radio will shut off in a couple minutes on its own if update is not completed. Once update completes radio will go back to normal operation and shut off when you open the door. Has happened to me 3 time in 9 months. Usually takes my car 3/4 times before it will finish the update.
Hotwheeltat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:11 PM   #3
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheeltat View Post
Completely normal when an update is needed. Radio will shut off in a couple minutes on its own if update is not completed. Once update completes radio will go back to normal operation and shut off when you open the door. Has happened to me 3 time in 9 months. Usually takes my car 3/4 times before it will finish the update.
Does onstar need to be activated to get updates? I never activated my onstar on my 2021 LT1
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:37 PM   #4
COKen

Drives: '21 Camao SS, BMW 435i, M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
Does onstar need to be activated to get updates? I never activated my onstar on my 2021 LT1

I never activated OnStar either and I have seen the update message a time or two.
COKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:23 PM   #5
FarmerFran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheeltat View Post
I have done a few updates and the music never kept playing and it never went back to the normal home screen. It always goes to the Status screen. I stood outside the car for the better part of 10 minutes to make sure I was not missing something or to see if everything would turn off. I am glad I did what I did. I would have loved coming out to a dead battery

When I got home I tried again an it worked as usual, the music turned off and the status screen stayed up.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:41 PM   #6
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
I never activated OnStar either and I have seen the update message a time or two.
Thank you for responding, good to know for sure. I have gotten no update messages at all, car is 5 months old and have driven 4500 miles. I quess this may be side benefit of a no option LT1 other than the 10 speed auto.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:55 PM   #7
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
onstar activation only matters for you personally using the onstar service. It's always connected to the cell network whether you pay for it or not and GM can push updates and/or get data from your car whenever it wants. Whether you have an active subscription or not.

Only way to stop that is taking the cell radio out of the onstar bcm.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:08 AM   #8
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
Thank you for responding, good to know for sure. I have gotten no update messages at all, car is 5 months old and have driven 4500 miles. I quess this may be side benefit of a no option LT1 other than the 10 speed auto.
As mentioned - OnStar is not at all linked to updates. The specific build date for your Infotainment system and what firmware it was flashed with will drive whether any of the current updates would apply. I had my car out of the garage in January of this year for a little bit - nothing showed up for updates being available and I had validated it by hand not that long before. When I pulled the car back out earlier this month, it threw a message that there was an update available and the radio was "acting weird" (when there's an update available, the radio will NOT turn off when you open the door).

To my knowledge, there has been only one update that would apply to my car that was released this year and it was installed recently (by me).
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:04 AM   #9
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
onstar activation only matters for you personally using the onstar service. It's always connected to the cell network whether you pay for it or not and GM can push updates and/or get data from your car whenever it wants. Whether you have an active subscription or not.

Only way to stop that is taking the cell radio out of the onstar bcm.
Thanks for the info and I have no reason to stop updates. Glad they can come thru with out activating onstar.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:13 AM   #10
chevybill

Drives: 1994 z-28, 2017 2ss 6spd
I have a 2017 2 ss car with the bose upgrade system and to my knowledge never have received an update.
Does this sound correct?

Thanks.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:16 AM   #11
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevybill View Post
I have a 2017 2 ss car with the bose upgrade system and to my knowledge never have received an update.
Does this sound correct?

Thanks.
Not sure when the OTA updates became available for these systems...
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:20 AM   #12
FarmerFran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Not sure when the OTA updates became available for these systems...

Someone will correct me but 19 or 20 with the radio3 update.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:04 PM   #13
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevybill View Post
Does this sound correct?
I received an app update a few years ago, but this did not change the actual audio system. There was a recent intriguing post where someone posted a screenshot showing a "surround" mode in the audio settings. So that got me messing around with my 2017.
I had to reconnect my car to the home wifi, though nothing has changed with that. It started "updating," and I ended up with a few more apps I will never use. Nothing in the system update area. I'll make sure it stays connected to wifi in case anything gets pushed. But I am out of town for 2 weeks.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 12:40 AM   #14
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
I believe it was the 2019s, or whenever they released the upgraded Infotainment system with the higher rez screen, that the ability to update the software in the radio was available.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote