Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-12-2021, 09:55 PM   #1
SSallday

Drives: ‘18 ZL1 / ‘22 ZLE
M6 Stalling and Jerking

There have been many threads on this issue, but I have not found a definitive answer (without voiding warranty). I'm sure many of you with the M6 will agree that the 17/18s have issues taking off. This car is a blast to drive, but I have to worry every time I take off from a complete stop. If I don't give it enough throttle then it stalls, but if I give it too much then it jerks. It's almost like the computer is cutting the air supply to the engine. Most of the time I have to give it throttle even when I'm on a flat surface. I was out driving today and it reminded me how annoying this issue is. I spoke to my dealer about it last year and they updated the ECM. The car seemed more responsive when I picked it up and I thought the issue was fixed. Now that winter is over, I've been driving the car more and noticed it's still the same. It's going in for service in a couple of weeks so I'll have to see what the dealer says when I bring the topic up again. I know a tune will resolve the issue, but I'm looking to keep my warranty. Also, I tried the tony mamo TB and it did not work. If anything, the car seemed a bit worse. Did they address this issue for the 2019+ models? Are the stock tunes different between the 18s and 19s+?

Thanks
SSallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:25 PM   #2
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Many (myself included) just learned to manage it reliably by giving it the right amount of throttle on take off. Short of that, the ONLY solution is a tune. When I loaded the JRE tune I was amazed that the issue was totally resolved. I had to relearn a normal takeoff since I had adjusted to correct the stumble LOL. If you aren’t willing to tune, learn the right amount of throttle to give and practice till your reliable at repeating.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:29 PM   #3
ACZ28

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Never driven a '17-18 but I believe the same issues exist on the '19s and more than likely '20+. Granted, I've made less than 10 passes but all were either bog, spin or both...it is pretty frustrating. However, I've personally never really had an issue with normal driving, the clutch feel/engagement is pretty good. I've only stalled the car once and I'll just say that'll happen when you're cluelessly wondering why there's been a fairly loud buzzing noise in the car for the last 20-30 secs and then see a large bumble bee semi-stuck in the carpet next to your right leg. Anyway, if I decide to keep the car long-term, I've come to the conclusion that I'll have to tune it to ever have a chance at consistently good launches at the track but again, no issues with normal driving on the street. And I'm no expert on the matter but I believe that's exactly what torque management is doing when it bogs during launches...limiting power by closing the throttle.
ACZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:55 AM   #4
ZLE dude

Drives: '18 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
Many (myself included) just learned to manage it reliably by giving it the right amount of throttle on take off. Short of that, the ONLY solution is a tune. When I loaded the JRE tune I was amazed that the issue was totally resolved. I had to relearn a normal takeoff since I had adjusted to correct the stumble LOL. If you aren’t willing to tune, learn the right amount of throttle to give and practice till your reliable at repeating.
Same here. I installed a Soler TB first off and that helped, but after doing the JRE 125 Flex package when I uploaded the initial tune that problem was GONE. The car drives like it should have from the factory now.
2018 ZL1 1LE - Summit White, PDR, Rotofab CAI, 95mm TB, CSP 2" catless LT's, JMS Voltage Booster, AEM X-series WB, DSX flex fuel sensor, Banks Data Monster, Tuned by Ted Jannetty, 5% Tint, Blackvue DR900S-2CH, Diode Dynamics lighting, IGL Kenzo ceramic coating
ZLE dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:36 AM   #5
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I experience the same issue with my 2017 and since I’m not planning on getting a tune I have learned to deal with it. The bog is annoying sometimes but it’s there and I have to adjust my driving for it.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:10 AM   #6
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Turn off the nannies and it operates perfectly. I believe it's some part of traction control that messes with the engine at low speed low rpm conditions.

Part of my startup procedure is to tap the trac control button twice.

Last edited by Jaxcam02; 04-13-2021 at 07:32 AM.
Jaxcam02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:05 AM   #7
Trak-Toy

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
Turn off the nannies and it operates perfectly. I believe it's some part of traction control that messes with the engine at low speed low rpm conditions.

That’s an interesting approach to this known and frustrating issue. I’m going to have to try that. When I sold my SS 1LE and bought the ZLE, I thought I had somehow forgotten how to drive a manual transmission after 30 years of driving them... never driven one so finicky about the clutch engagement on take-off. I’ve since ‘re-learned’ the sweet spot of throttle input and clutch release speed, but it’s definitely a very small window to work within.
Trak-Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:19 AM   #8
Jaxcam02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trak-Toy View Post
That’s an interesting approach to this known and frustrating issue. I’m going to have to try that. When I sold my SS 1LE and bought the ZLE, I thought I had somehow forgotten how to drive a manual transmission after 30 years of driving them... never driven one so finicky about the clutch engagement on take-off. I’ve since ‘re-learned’ the sweet spot of throttle input and clutch release speed, but it’s definitely a very small window to work within.
Weird, my experience was the opposite. My SS 1le was much more jerky than when I bought the ZL1. Granted the ZL1 still experienced it slightly. I was just fooling around with the nannies off and discovered the start from a stop conditions were much improved. I started just turning them off all the time except in the rain (which never happens really)
Old 04-13-2021, 08:21 AM   #9
Trak-Toy

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE
Quote:
Weird, my experience was the opposite. My SS 1le was much more jerky than when I bought the ZL1. Granted the ZL1 still experienced it slightly. I was just fooling around with the nannies off and discovered the start from a stop conditions were much improved. I started just turning them off all the time except in the rain (which never happens really)
And my SS 1LE was super easy to drive. Go figure.
Trak-Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:46 AM   #10
getchapull
TEXIT

Drives: 2019 ZL1 M6
Quote:

So you are just turning off traction control. You're not disabling all nannies. Correct?
getchapull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:49 AM   #11
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:

Pressing TC 2x brings up PTM, to turn all TC off you need to hold button down for 5-10 seconds I think--done that several times for skidpad fun at Willow Springs.

Are you turning on a PTM mode, turning TC fully off or turning TC off to some lower level of TC?
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:03 AM   #12
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
good question but to add what happens to the TC x 2 push is dependent on being in Sport or Track mode.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:20 AM   #13
Jaxcam02

Sport mode, x2 press (with a small pause between) turns off both stages of trac control and stabilitrac it seems. if in track mode it will enable competition mode where you can adjust launch control, line lock, etc, if available. At least thats what I think it does.

edit: after a bit more research, looks like x2 press disables trac control and a smaller tier of stabilitrac. holding down disables it all.

Last edited by Jaxcam02; 04-13-2021 at 10:31 AM.
Jaxcam02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:34 AM   #14
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
On my ‘17 the jerk and stumble seem to only occur after a cold start. And the weird part is it doesn’t happen all the time. I’ve gotten use to it. When it starts to stumble, I just push in the clutch and start all over letting out the clutch and giving it some gas.