Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 09-26-2018, 03:01 PM   #1
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
Anyone use the Gen5DIY flex fuel kit?

I’m searching for a flex fuel kit, and the one on Gen5DIY is considerably cheaper then the rest. Still uses GM sensor though, so I’m curious why it’s up to $150 cheaper? Why would it be worth the extra money for the EFI or DSX?
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:24 PM   #2
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
I don't think EFI Tuning is in business anymore. DMS and DSX came shortly after using a different mix of parts, but were lower priced. Gen5DIY introduced much later and likely source sensors after an OE price drop and they were able to undercut even further.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:18 AM   #3
DSX Tuning

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
I manufacture many of my own pieces and make a complete replacement line for the factory fuel line. Crimped and pressure tested PTFE smooth bore hoses unfortunately aren’t cheap, and I do everything to make sure that parts are 100% ethanol compatible which is why I use more expensive fluorosilicone orings in my fittings. I make everything in a way that you don’t need a wrench to install it.
DSX Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:55 AM   #4
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX Tuning View Post
I manufacture many of my own pieces and make a complete replacement line for the factory fuel line. Crimped and pressure tested PTFE smooth bore hoses unfortunately aren’t cheap, and I do everything to make sure that parts are 100% ethanol compatible which is why I use more expensive fluorosilicone orings in my fittings. I make everything in a way that you don’t need a wrench to install it.
I appreciate that info. I’m about to buy an E85 kit myself and was wondering what the difference was.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:21 PM   #5
DSX Tuning

I’d rather my products be purpose built and not repurposed, so you won’t find my parts in a catalog somewhere. I even had my own connectors molded.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:29 PM   #6
Chef-j

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Its good to know yours comes with PTFE fuel line. I never really look carefully other than price until now. Awesome.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:02 PM   #7
DSX Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef-j View Post
Its good to know yours comes with PTFE fuel line. I never really look carefully other than price until now. Awesome.
No problem.

Here's a closer look into what I do. This is the female to female push connect fitting I manufacture specifically for use with flex fuel systems. These are genuine push connect meaning there aren't any backing nuts to drop in the engine bay, no wrenches to mess with, and they're super easy to install. I won't use plastic clips which is why there's a steel retainer inside like the factory. I also use fluorosilicone o-rings as mentioned earlier which are better chemically suited than the popular FKM (trade name Viton). We pre-lubricate all of the fittings with a PTFE laced synthetic grease to aid installation and prevent the possibility of tearing the o-rings. I apologize for the massive photos, but I wanted the detail to show.

The lines are made by Fragola who has a far superior product to most of what's on the market short of XRP who is equally high in quality.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:56 PM   #8
Turbo_RORO

Drives: Camaro 17 SS
Quote:
No problem.

Here's a closer look into what I do. This is the female to female push connect fitting I manufacture specifically for use with flex fuel systems. These are genuine push connect meaning there aren't any backing nuts to drop in the engine bay, no wrenches to mess with, and they're super easy to install. I won't use plastic clips which is why there's a steel retainer inside like the factory. I also use fluorosilicone o-rings as mentioned earlier which are better chemically suited than the popular FKM (trade name Viton). We pre-lubricate all of the fittings with a PTFE laced synthetic grease to aid installation and prevent the possibility of tearing the o-rings. I apologize for the massive photos, but I wanted the detail to show.

The lines are made by Fragola who has a far superior product to most of what's on the market short of XRP who is equally high in quality.
Great products and info. I know people feel the prices are "high" on a lot of parts for our car, but I never felt the fuel system was a place to skimp.
Turbo_RORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:05 PM   #9
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_RORO View Post
Great products and info. I know people feel the prices are "high" on a lot of parts for our car, but I never felt the fuel system was a place to skimp.
It’s nice to know the “backstory” on stuff like this. If we know the product is top shelf, spending the extra money makes plenty of sense. I’ll be scooping up one of the DSX flex fuel kits from Jannetty Racing very soon.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:39 AM   #10
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddawg53 View Post
I’m searching for a flex fuel kit, and the one on Gen5DIY is considerably cheaper then the rest. Still uses GM sensor though, so I’m curious why it’s up to $150 cheaper? Why would it be worth the extra money for the EFI or DSX?
The main reason is overhead. The Gen5DIY kits use trusted and warrantied GM products. All kits use the GM flex fuel sensor. The power harness uses OEM connectors for a perfect fit and seal. All the fuel lines are Teflon coated to allow no issues down to road from sitting fuel. A common issue in older cars. Overall it comes down to preference. Their is no reason to spend so much money on a kit when they all off the same protections and results.

Not many people care, but the Gen5 design was created to allow the car to still look factory under the hood and allow the actual fuel sensor and power lines to be hidden.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 02:15 PM   #11
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
Zzperformance has a really nice kit that actually mounts to the black brace instead of just hanging there. A guy in town has it and it looks way better than mine. However I have the dsx kit and have been happy with it.

Afe Air Filter//BMR MM010 Motor Mounts, Safety Loop//Custom OTR Intake//Flex Fuel Kit//Gforce 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft//GM 95mm TB//Katech Oil Pump, Piston Squirters//Kooks 1-7/8 LT//LT4 Fueling//Mighty Mouse Wild//Monster Clutch LT1-S Triple Disc//MSD 2-Step//Pray Performance Custom Spec Cam, Ported Holley Hi-Ram//Sikky 12" Shifter w OEM Knob Mod//Tick Level 1 Tr6060//Labor by Me//Tune By Pray Performance

Last edited by Dubchitts; 10-28-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:02 PM   #12
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
The main reason is overhead. The Gen5DIY kits use trusted and warrantied GM products. All kits use the GM flex fuel sensor. The power harness uses OEM connectors for a perfect fit and seal. All the fuel lines are Teflon coated to allow no issues down to road from sitting fuel. A common issue in older cars. Overall it comes down to preference. Their is no reason to spend so much money on a kit when they all off the same protections and results.

Not many people care, but the Gen5 design was created to allow the car to still look factory under the hood and allow the actual fuel sensor and power lines to be hidden.
I got the Gen5DIY kit installed, not really sure what you mean about hiding the sensor. It works perfectly, and the install was super easy. I kind of secured it to the brace as it didn’t come with any preferred mounting location instructions. It’s clearly visible but I’m not upset about that.
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:11 PM   #13
Carnage_SS

Drives: CMaro
I made my own for like 60$
Carnage_SS is offline   Reply With Quote