Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-18-2017, 11:27 AM   #1
BrianInJackson

Drives: toyota mr2
How Linear/Grabby Is Your Clutch

Hey all..

I haven't driven any other Camaros with a manual, so don't have much to compare.. but.

Not thrilled with my clutch. The engagement zone feels small. I have a hard time being smooth. Driven stick shift for 20 years, but not adapting to the new car well.

When clutch is pushed to the floor... the effort is very light. As I let it out and approach the engagement zone, the clutch feels like the resistance goes up.. and forces the clutch up slightly.. The clutch is forcing itself into the engagement zone making for a jerky shift. The amount of pressure required to move the clutch changes mid stroke.

It's not terrible, but my technique is a little off every time. I thought it was just me not being used to the car. Creeping along in traffic is a pain.. I keep stalling. I haven't stalled in another car in 20 years... this one seems hard to drive. I don't drive the car everyday... so I may just need to get used to it, but I did want to send out the question.

Anyone else having these issues? Is this how the clutch is designed?

Thanks.
BrianInJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:33 AM   #2
GuoShicheng

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT V6 RS 6MT
It's always been like that. Not a problem once you get used to it .
Old 07-18-2017, 11:34 AM   #3
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
sorry, i haven't noticed any issues. maybe go test drive another one (same exact trim) and see if it's just your car, or its same. if your car maybe some adjustment can be made.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:35 AM   #4
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
I dont have that problem. I drove a 5.0 mustang before this with a piece of crap MT82. The clutch in this car is fairly smooth. It gets chatter at low speed when its cold.

Mine releases pretty high up which is nice because its minimal effort. I personally love the feeling on this clutch.

Use active rev match and see if it smooths you out a little. The rev match works for downshifts and UPSHIFTS.
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:39 AM   #5
DenverTaco07

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick3 View Post
I dont have that problem. I drove a 5.0 mustang before this with a piece of crap MT82. The clutch in this car is fairly smooth. It gets chatter at low speed when its cold.

Mine releases pretty high up which is nice because its minimal effort. I personally love the feeling on this clutch.

Use active rev match and see if it smooths you out a little. The rev match works for downshifts and UPSHIFTS.
on upshifts??? whatchu talkin bout willis?
Old 07-18-2017, 11:48 AM   #6
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
on upshifts??? whatchu talkin bout willis?
The rev match will hold your rpm on a upshift. People think its only for downshifting but If you go from 3rd to 4th and just keep the clutch in, it will hold the correct rpm for you.

slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:53 AM   #7
DenverTaco07

hmmm, ok, i'll have to pay closer attention.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:04 PM   #8
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
I like the Gen 6 clutch better than the C7 incarnation of it. My C7 was very high, we're talking within the first inch of travel, and a noticeably shorter engagement zone.

That said, I don't think I've noticed the behavior you mention (force changing mid stroke)... I'll try and keep it in mind when I drive home in a couple hours.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:20 PM   #9
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
These are dual disk clutches and are notorious for this. Over time, you'll get better, but it will never be as easy to transition as the old style, single disk, clutches. Practice will get you close though.
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:29 PM   #10
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Mines linear and quite smooth.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:52 PM   #11
EJamesJr

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 Manual 6-Speed
I had a real problem being smooth going into 2nd. Like you, Ive driven many vehicles with manual transmissions and never had a problem like I did with the 2016. I'd be smooth as silk from a stop and then hit 2nd like a total amateur. I actually started using 2nd from a standstill and going 3rd on up. After a short while, however, I committed to working it out and, like the others say, it got much better. Im back to being smooth now. Give it a little time
EJamesJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:56 PM   #12
greg72982

Drives: Black 2017 2SS
I came from a 2006 GTO and it took me a few weeks to get used to it. I literally stalled it in the parking lot of the dealer when I was leaving in it and a few more times than I'd like to admit in the following weeks. I remember thinking to myself "WTF is wrong with me?!?"
Old 07-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #13
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianInJackson View Post
Hey all..

I haven't driven any other Camaros with a manual, so don't have much to compare.. but.

Not thrilled with my clutch. The engagement zone feels small. I have a hard time being smooth. Driven stick shift for 20 years, but not adapting to the new car well.

When clutch is pushed to the floor... the effort is very light. As I let it out and approach the engagement zone, the clutch feels like the resistance goes up.. and forces the clutch up slightly.. The clutch is forcing itself into the engagement zone making for a jerky shift. The amount of pressure required to move the clutch changes mid stroke.

It's not terrible, but my technique is a little off every time. I thought it was just me not being used to the car. Creeping along in traffic is a pain.. I keep stalling. I haven't stalled in another car in 20 years... this one seems hard to drive. I don't drive the car everyday... so I may just need to get used to it, but I did want to send out the question.

Anyone else having these issues? Is this how the clutch is designed?

Thanks.
You're not alone. The clutch is not as linear as the Mustang stuff I'm used to. Not only I, but two of my other racing friends found the clutch to have a learning curve. Some things to keep in mind is that the stock Camaro SS clutch is pretty strong and is a dual-disc. So, the characteristics you and I are feeling are pretty normal to those considerations (including the chatter someone else noted). My friends GT500 is fairly similar. That is a dual-disc as well, but aftermarket.

With the Mustang stuff, I'm used to having to push the clutch all the way down to keep from the synchros being unhappy at higher RPM (clutch design... Ford). The Camaro's clutch you don't need to push the clutch all the way down. This has helped me be smoother with my car.

Also, I feel I need to add that I am no way unhappy. So, GM, if someone reads this, keep that as note. I bought this car as a performance car and this is a minor chatacteristic of that.

Last edited by Mountain; 07-18-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:19 PM   #14
marknagy13
Markoon13

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Totally normal in a car with 455 torque and a clutch designed to withstand launch control. Just gotta get used to it. It's not your average Honda Civic lol