Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-10-2019, 02:28 PM   #43
res0n0xg

Drives: None
100% the ZL1 Vert is 155MPH limited, I have one.
res0n0xg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:31 PM   #44
ArmanSS

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS VERT
Quote:
Originally Posted by res0n0xg View Post
Thanks for confirming! I'm guessing you've taken it to the limit haha. Good for you!
ArmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:03 PM   #45
DeltaEliteMan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Nightfall Grey Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
My 5th gen ZL1 vert was speed limited to 155 because that's what GM certified the top for. That said, the 5th gen speed record for the Texas mile and/or Arkansas Mile was set by a 2011 SS vert at around 226 mph. Not sure about top differences for the 6th gen, but the post above kind of confirms the reasoning same as 5th gen top.
I wonder when that Gen5 convertible hit 226mph if the top was up or down? Lol!

Question: Has anyone ever taken a Gen6 convertible over 155mph?

Also, has there ever been any reports of convertible tops that failed due to excessive speed? (assuming speed limitations were removed during a tune).
DeltaEliteMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:43 AM   #46
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by res0n0xg View Post
+1 this.

I have confirmed this personally with my 2017. It will cut throttle/fuel similar to hitting a rev limiter, but much more gently, so as not to upset the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaEliteMan View Post
Question: Has anyone ever taken a Gen6 convertible over 155mph? Also, has there ever been any reports of convertible tops that failed due to excessive speed? (assuming speed limitations were removed during a tune).
My speedo hit 156 briefly as the throttle was cutting, but you would have to tune the ECU to get past that limit. My top was down. No way I'm going to shred my pristine top at that speed. Certainly not worth having to explain the $2k expense to the wife. "You were doing WHAT?!"
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:31 AM   #47
supercab78

Drives: 1931 Ford 1941&1963 Chevy. 2020 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmax View Post
LOL..... I opened this thread thinking it was a question of how long it took for the top to go up, or down.
I had the answer too. I did side by side driveway race with my neighbor who has a 2016 mustang vert. Granted, his isn’t a GT, but the hp and torque of his top is the same as a GT.
I beat his lil pony by 1.67 seconds.... and I did it from my porch, with my remote control, while multitasking with a lager in my other hand.
I like it! Racing a stang GT while sitting on the porch. That's funny.
supercab78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:04 AM   #48
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmanSS View Post
I gotcha. I wish I did my research a little further before buying it. I could have almost gotten a ZL1 for what I paid for my vert...and it can't even go over 155
well,how often do you go over 155?
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:06 PM   #49
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
well,how often do you go over 155?
Not often enough.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:38 PM   #50
ls1smokedu

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Is the c6/7 corvette convertible also limited to 155? It also has a canvas top
ls1smokedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 08:47 PM   #51
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
Someone help me out here.
I know these are performance cars. I know they are some of the most capable available.
I know a lot of guys are racing their Camaros on road and 1/4 mile tracks. Probably more than any other car right off the showroom floor.
But if your going to track the car your not buying a vert. Particularly on road courses. Yea you can put a roll cage in but.... the vert is already heavier than a coup. Its more flexible. Even though my gen 6 vert has zero detectible flex under spirited road driving and Ive had quality coups that were way more flexible.
So what difference does it make?
If your going to 1/4 mile the car... I doubt your getting to 155.
You would need a long straight on a road course or take it to Bonneville.
Maybe on the tri oval at Pocono....
If I was intending to track my Camaro it would be a coup, and a 1LE.
If your disappointed you cant exceed 155 on the street Im sorry... Ive been a gear head my entire life. I dont get that.
You need speed. Buy a boat. Try going 100in a boat.
I was once past on a Highway at 3am by an Audi of some kind that was going probably 150. Im an extremely intense driver and I did see him coming but I know the other cars near me never saw him. I was unimpressed.
I run my bike up to near 120 at times. Briefly. 100 sometimes passing...
I dont know maybe Im missing something here.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:02 PM   #52
MR's 2SS

https://youtu.be/kz70cXFrQ5A
Now it did rain in the end...
But very capable car, very capable driver... Friggin Nürburgring...
And in only 2 spots did he achieve 155.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:13 PM   #53
MR's 2SS

https://youtu.be/t4zSIVpVMaw
more hp. better handling Camaro... better day.
He hit 155 or better 5 times. once for less than a second.
On the long straight he momentarily hit 170.
The op stated he bought a used 2018 vert and he is disappointed its governed at 155... and would not have bought it if he knew that.
Sorry...
Old 06-24-2022, 04:37 AM   #54
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR's 2SS View Post
Someone help me out here.
I know these are performance cars. I know they are some of the most capable available.
I know a lot of guys are racing their Camaros on road and 1/4 mile tracks. Probably more than any other car right off the showroom floor.
But if your going to track the car your not buying a vert. Particularly on road courses. Yea you can put a roll cage in but.... the vert is already heavier than a coup. Its more flexible. Even though my gen 6 vert has zero detectible flex under spirited road driving and Ive had quality coups that were way more flexible.
So what difference does it make?
If your going to 1/4 mile the car... I doubt your getting to 155.
You would need a long straight on a road course or take it to Bonneville.
Maybe on the tri oval at Pocono....
If I was intending to track my Camaro it would be a coup, and a 1LE.
If your disappointed you cant exceed 155 on the street Im sorry... Ive been a gear head my entire life. I dont get that.
You need speed. Buy a boat. Try going 100in a boat.
I was once past on a Highway at 3am by an Audi of some kind that was going probably 150. Im an extremely intense driver and I did see him coming but I know the other cars near me never saw him. I was unimpressed.
I run my bike up to near 120 at times. Briefly. 100 sometimes passing...
I dont know maybe Im missing something here.
You drive your bike 120 mph but have a problem with people driving 155+? Not sure I follow your reasoning on that.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:55 AM   #55
tommcd24

Drives: 2SS M6 NPP Convertible
He did say briefly... and/or when passing...
Those are pretty easy to do. I've done the same if on a rural/low congested highway and need to pass a couple cars or semis in a line, I'll make sure it's clear, downshift, and crank on the throttle. My Harley or Camaro will cross 100 pretty quickly, I'll pass and then go back to cruising at 65 or 70. Illegal to be sure, but relatively safe from my POV. I understand others may disagree with that though.

Other times on a deserted rural road with a long, clear sightline I may mash the gas just for fun or an adrenaline rush, but also for a short period of time and 110ish is usually plenty fast for me.

If we're all honest, anything above 100 for extended periods off-track is asking for trouble. At least near me, most roads/highways outside of main freeways are in varying states of disrepair. Hitting a pothole with our extreme low-profile tires is going to hurt. Hitting a crack that was overfilled and not properly rolled can "bounce" the car pretty good at normal speeds. And exceeding or maintaining those speeds for extended periods almost guarantees that you're going to get tagged. Triple digits speeds in many areas is automatic arrest.

Is there a coolness factor to saying my car is capable of 155 or 185 mph. Sure. But like others have said, it's the acceleration that makes me smile.

I will rarely if ever track my car and will probably never hit 120, let alone 155, so the "lost" capability to get to 185 is no concern to me. With that said if others want to tune their cars to regain that ability, more power to them. Just please don't come flying past me at that speed. The closing rate at that point is incredible and way too many people today are staring at their devices, texting, etc. What happens when one of those people drifts out in front of you... You may end up doing cartwheels.

Dec. 18: took her home
Dec. 9: arrival at dealer
Nov. 16-29: Toledo, OH (railyard)
Nov. 9: 3800 -> 4300 (for stripes)
Oct. 8: 3400 status TPW 10/25
Oct. 6: 3100 status TPW 10/25
Sept. 9: 3000 status TPW 10/4/2021
Sept. 3: 2000 status (after 5 1/2 months)
Sept. 2: Change Order: 2SS (V6 constraint)
April 12: Reordered as ‘22 3LT RS V6 (March 16:Initial Order ‘21 3LT RS V6)
tommcd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:04 AM   #56
Edward Paul

Drives: LT1
What is the tire rating on the convertible?
Edward Paul is offline   Reply With Quote