Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Thread Closed

Old 02-03-2021, 10:50 AM   #43
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
Yeah roads, highways, bridges, etc are already in place but it still costs $$$ to maintain them. Again though, that requires jobs.

Regarding new or updated infrastructure--imagine if we threw our hands up and refused to build new interstate highways in the 1900s, or railroads before then, because they 'cost money.' That's essentially what you're saying. Yes those things cost money and they also created jobs.

As for your examples, there will always be some issues associated with growth. Are we seriously going to allow those few examples to stop all progress?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Yes updating infrastructure is always a good way to create jobs. The problem is every administration that comes in says they are are going to fix our infrastructure....yet it hasn't happened yet. That's why I don't have faith in them to get the electric grid up to the task.

Other note, if GM does get rid of ICE by 2035 I wonder how that will effect truck sales. I know the electric motors will definitely be able to provide enough power but will they be efficient enough for people that work their trucks hard?
All good points. Innovation due to technical advancements for economic expansion. Wagon trains yielded to trains and trains yielded to highways. Horse were replaced by automobiles.

Technology determined the shift in the infrastructure, not a mandate by government. If you read the articles carefully (between the lines). The Auto-manufactures are switching to electricity not because its better, but to be compliant to CAFE standards (set by Democrats to appease Environmentalists).
Old 02-03-2021, 10:51 AM   #44
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
the only way EVs can work without a massive overhaul of our infrastructure is if a solar panel that produces enough electricity to run the vehicle and its systems becomes available.and theres always that rainy weather pattern that holds in place for a week or more.truth is,we are in a golden age of motoring right now and it wont last forever.
Actually there is one supposedly coming out this year
https://www.aptera.us/
Old 02-03-2021, 11:34 AM   #45
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxSummit16 View Post
Only because it probably won't be necessary. What will happen will be that ICE cars will be made too expensive for most people to own. High gas prices, high insurance, special taxes for ICE cars. On top of that all major car companies will only be offering EVs. The only thing that isn't certain, is how fast it happens. Certainly with in 15 to 20 years. Probably sooner.
The infrastructure to properly handle the switch to all EV likely won't be ready by the time companies like GM want to switch to all EV vehicles. On top of that most Americans can not afford a new vehicle. Lot's of vehicles on the road today built in the 90's and even some from the 80's. Look how long it's taken power tools to transition from gas to battery. Still majority of larger tools are still gas like lawn mowers, leaf blowers, chain saws. Hell the infrastructure on Batter powered tools has been shit at best. You needed 12 different batteries and chargers for everything up until recently. I get that battery technology has advanced at a much faster rate in the last 10 years but still the dot's don't align for this all to happen by 2035.

That is why I said in our lifetime... based on the average life expectancy of a white male being around 75 that is another 36 years for me. So yea I don't see the Government mandating American's turn in their ICE vehicle or they being cost prohibitive to operate opposed to purchasing a EV by 2035.

Aside from that ICE vehicles could be burning at very low emission rates with fuels like E85. Why hasn't E85 been a primary fuel at this point since it's introduction 20 years ago? Why did the patent on the Carburetor that could net something like 50+ mpg get shelved back in the 60's or whatever? So why would the Government shut the oil industry down now when they have been getting kick backs all these years to keep selling that black gold? I doubt these Battery companies have deeper pockets then the oil moguls in this world. There have been plenty of measures that could of taken place over the last 50 years to even further reduce emissions of ICE to the point it's a non issue for hundreds of years down the road and they were never taken. So that is why I don't buy into the EV stuff. We don't need EV to reduce emissions...it's all BS!
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
Old 02-03-2021, 12:39 PM   #46
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
You are correct about infrastructure. It doesn't need to be a political debate, but the general public needs to better understand how our electrical generation and transmission systems work. The further out the generation gets from the consumption, the greater the load on the transmission systems. The available generation in the system needs to handle the peak demand of the grid and it needs to be flexible.

If everyone plugs in an electric car in a metro area between 5-6 pm, then there will be a huge spike in demand. The 7-8 am and the 5-7 pm time slots are already at peak demand load. Solar and Wind is not going to be able to handle this without fossil powered backup.

If the load exceeds the generation, then the frequency and voltage of the grid will start to drop. Most generators have to trip at 58.5 hz after a few seconds and this causes a cascade of plants tripping offline. Hello blackout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I am not so much against the idea of EVs, I am against being forced into an EV by the nature of it being my only choice for a vehicle.

I am more worried the infrastructure won't be able to support it, but that's a conversation for a different time and place as it would most likely turn into a political debate lol
Old 02-03-2021, 01:08 PM   #47
oilgear

Drives: Camaro ss, Cadillac, Kawasaki ZRX,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
Well I am glad for him that he is very excited about EV's. I am not and won't buy one until I am forced. I'm not sure that will even be in my lifetime. When (not if) gas reaches $5 or more, I'm not sure what I'll do. If it goes up and never again comes down, my vehicles certainly will not be V8's...
I'm with you. No electric vehicles for me. I think that once there are 50% of the vehicles that are electric, the price of electricity will be similar to gasoline.
Closed Thread