Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 10-06-2020, 11:05 AM   #491
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Having autoxd on both, the SC3R need to be really HOT to offer moderate levels of grip. The RE71R (305-19 all around) just stick nearly out of the box, 35-36psi on my gauge ( shows about 32psi on dash). So much more confident and much wider grip peak. In the wet, SC3R can just stay home!

On track.. perhaps different story. Jerky starts are also GONE. I can spin out of the hole without traction control going all to shit even in track / race.
Attached Images

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:08 PM   #492
Cjw

Drives: 370z, Srt-6
I see a lot of the Zle guys running 305 squared. Anybody went down to 18’s and running 315/335. Been looking at the yokohoma/bfgoodrich pair... any thoughts?
Cjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:33 PM   #493
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Having autoxd on both, the SC3R need to be really HOT to offer moderate levels of grip. The RE71R (305-19 all around) just stick nearly out of the box, 35-36psi on my gauge ( shows about 32psi on dash). So much more confident and much wider grip peak. In the wet, SC3R can just stay home!

On track.. perhaps different story. Jerky starts are also GONE. I can spin out of the hole without traction control going all to shit even in track / race.
RE71R is the Autocrosser's go-to tire if you are in it to win it. I have heard it overheats on tracks, however, and it gets sloppy as it overheats.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:43 PM   #494
CRBWS6

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE SCCA FS, 99 WS-6, E46 M3
1LE AutoX Pads

For the SS 1LE guys, what brake pads are recommended?

I am currently on Hawk HP+, per the original owner, and my initial impression is a bit too much bite for AutoX, not to mention the dusting is really bad.
CRBWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 06:00 PM   #495
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
Try OEM pads first, and if you experience no issues with them fading, then you're golden. A lot of people are happy with the OEM pads. Not to say that somebody won't have some advice about this or that pad would net you faster lap times. But if you think the HP Plus is too grabby, you should get better results with the OEM.
I am familiar with HP Plus but not on the Camaro. I know what you mean about too much bite, it is hard to input just a little braking for weight transfer, it is easy to overslow a car with HP Plus at a/x.
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 06:06 PM   #496
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
The OEM pads are just fine for autocross and street driving. They are some dusty MFers, but they have really good modulation and never fade, even on our fastest courses with lots of braking spots. I have no idea if they are tolerable for track events or not.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:41 PM   #497
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
I did a lapping day on my OEM pads, though being my first time, I wasn't overly aggressive with the pads.

They are pretty good, though I can't say that for the stock fluid. That's why I swapped it out.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:30 PM   #498
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
RE71R is the Autocrosser's go-to tire if you are in it to win it. I have heard it overheats on tracks, however, and it gets sloppy as it overheats.

Sent from toaster or something
For autocross I like the BFG Rival. I'm 0.7 to 0.8 sec quicker(on a 55 sec course) with them than the RE71R. And if you drop down to 18 it's either the BFG or the Yok.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:09 AM   #499
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
For autocross I like the BFG Rival. I'm 0.7 to 0.8 sec quicker(on a 55 sec course) with them than the RE71R. And if you drop down to 18 it's either the BFG or the Yok.
I typically think of the BFGs as being the preferred for hot weather, the Yoks for colder climates, and the RE-71s somewhere in the middle.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:43 AM   #500
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
I looked at 18's.. but stock wheels were 19 and to limit expense.. stays at 19. After this, I want to try the 315 Falken RT660.. if they ever make it off the boat.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:14 AM   #501
CRBWS6

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE SCCA FS, 99 WS-6, E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I've run the RE71R on a road course in mid-80's temps w/full sun and they felt surprisingly good for 15 minute sessions, but guessing they would have become sloppy for a full 20 min session.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:34 AM   #502
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
I typically think of the BFGs as being the preferred for hot weather, the Yoks for colder climates, and the RE-71s somewhere in the middle.

Ive run the RE71r since new. for me in Wisconsin it works in the wet, cold warm all seasons we have but snow lol.

the bfg is too sloppy feeling for me.
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:31 PM   #503
jwisjw

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRBWS6 View Post
For the SS 1LE guys, what brake pads are recommended?

I am currently on Hawk HP+, per the original owner, and my initial impression is a bit too much bite for AutoX, not to mention the dusting is really bad.

I have a standard 1SS but the hawk HP+ were not a good choice because of the characteristics of the compound itself. I would recommend the Hawk HPS 5.0. If you are interested in a set, I can quote you on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
Ive run the RE71r since new. for me in Wisconsin it works in the wet, cold warm all seasons we have but snow lol.

the bfg is too sloppy feeling for me.

I would agree with this as well... The newest rival-s whatever 1.5... Putting down power is really sloppy, would probably easily choose a 305 stone over the 335's we run right now for CAM-C.
Old 10-08-2020, 06:58 PM   #504
jwisjw

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Its been a while since I've posted videos.

Packwood Tour - With covid, we weren't sure if we were going to have any events, so we decided to put on some street tires since we didn't make a class. We had 1 year old ~50ish run take off BFG's that we purchased from a local guy and bought new ones to complete a set for the tour.

The car definitely doesn't feel like it puts down power as well as they could being that they are 335's on a 12" wheel but really the first time running that tire and on that surface. Was happy to walk away with anything better than last place lol.

Packwood Champ Tour Day 1 CAM C Jeff

Packwood Champ Tour Day 2 CAM C Jeff

Packwood Champ Tour Day 1 CAM C Nicole

Packwood Champ Tour Day 2 CAM C Nicole

Packwood Prosolo -Running the purple crack fixed almost everything lol.

Packwood Prosolo S2 Jeff

Packwood Prosolo L1 Nicole

Fontana Prosolo - The Fontana surface, along with Mineral Wells in TX have got to be one of the worst surfaces for R-comps. The first set of runs when the tires are new are going to be the fastest for sure and if you have remotely close to 20ish runs, it can easily be worth .5 sec or more. If we attend the Fontana Prosolo event next year, I'm considering running street tires.

Fontana Pro Solo L1 Nicole