Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-25-2020, 09:23 PM   #1
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Wet sand and polish before expel??

So finally pulling the trigger on expel before the rock chips get any worst, but the installer says he recommends a wet sand and polish on the front of the car. He says it’s for appearance sake but I’m not sure I want to fork over that extra cash. Granted I haven’t looked into the cost of a wet sand and polish procedure. Thoughts? There are several small rock chips on the front facia, but I’m OK with them.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:40 PM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
So finally pulling the trigger on expel before the rock chips get any worst, but the installer says he recommends a wet sand and polish on the front of the car. He says it’s for appearance sake but I’m not sure I want to fork over that extra cash. Granted I haven’t looked into the cost of a wet sand and polish procedure. Thoughts? There are several small rock chips on the front facia, but I’m OK with them.
I'd be nervous to wet sand, the clear is pretty thin... I would recommend paint correction and polish... (I just did a clay and polish under mine, but it only had about 90 miles on it)
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:09 PM   #3
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
No to the wet sand. Absolutely do a good paint correction before a clear. I did a 2-step before my Xpel went on and it still looks great.

Are you just getting the nose done? I could only understand his request for a wet sand if you were doing the whole car and he wanted to get rid of orange peel.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:18 PM   #4
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
I wouldn't have a problem with wet sanding localized deep scratches if the guy has a paint depth gauge and knows what he's doing.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:45 PM   #5
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I have always heard about a deep clean and paint correction before Xpel, not sure about wet sanding and polishing. Do you have a lot of orange peel finish in your paint?
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:05 PM   #6
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
I have always heard about a deep clean and paint correction before Xpel, not sure about wet sanding and polishing. Do you have a lot of orange peel finish in your paint?
Ok, glad I posted! Will look into paint correction and polish.
As far as orange peel, negative. Except for the rock chips the paint is solid—the car is a garage queen.

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-25-2020, 11:08 PM   #7
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Keep in mind that whatever the current condition the paint is in now will remain that way for the life of the expel.
Tis far better off to insure the finish is excellent now, before the expel in applied.
You may be satisfied with the current small stone chips now, but if somewhere down the road you make the rest of the car shine bright, you may regret the stone chips.

Correct the finish now by whatever method is best. The cost will be worth it in the long run. A quality PPF such as expel should last you ten years or so.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:09 PM   #8
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Ok, glad I posted! Will look into paint correction and polish.
As far as orange peel, negative. Except for the rock chips the paint is solid—the car is a garage queen.

Thanks everyone!
I hear ya, mine only had 90 miles or so when it got XPel... Here are the areas I did... (They did a clay and polish before applying, the paint was very good so I didn't do paint correction...)

Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:29 AM   #9
JD64

Drives: '19 Camaro ZL1 A10 Riverside Blue
i water sanded and buffed a good portion of all the areas i had the xpel put on and corrected it before i sent it to the installer just to make sure everything was to my liking. mine wasn't installed until 1200 miles. if certain areas need more correction than others it is what it is . every car is different. a good finish under the xpel is just as important as a good ppf install.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:33 AM   #10
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Do yourself a favor and look at some of the work he has done. Make sure you are getting a quality install. Is he doing a one piece, if not how many seams, it is a purchased precut piece or does he cut it. will he wrap the edges under seams or leave the edges showing. PPF is not easy to lay correctly and not everyone can do it. just look at how many botched window tint jobs you see driving around. There are plenty of videos so I would spend a some time educating yourself on what is a quality install. I would nix the wet sand, just do a two step correction and it will look great.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:04 AM   #11
Aragorn
Account Suspended

It makes perfect sense now. I want the entire car looking good and even. Thanks !