Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-14-2018, 07:41 PM   #1
BigShow1960
BigShow

Drives: 2017 1 Camaro + Chevy Avalanche
October Track Report

Track season in the desert Southwest starts in October, so I was pretty stoked to get out on the track.

Since my last track outing I added the OEM spoiler, Removed rear seats and seatbelts, replaced the OEM 20 inch rims with:
2 each MRR FS01 19x10.5x19 et +14
2 each MRR FS01 19x11x19 et +36
Bridgestone Potensa 71Rs

Replaced engine oil, brake fluid, rear differential fluid, transmission fluid and got the track alignment. I asked for the track alignment, the dealership gave me the SS track alignment, not the 1LE track alignment. I left the car with the dealership overnight and asked for -2.5 or better, they gave me -2.1.

Off the track the new wheel set up felt pretty good, the car felt felt peepier. On the track... Southern Arizona is hot, dry, and sunny all the time, right? Well not this weekend. Rained most of the day Saturday, 3 of 4 sets were wet.

I drove all four sets in Track/Wet mode. Not knowing these tires and their rain performance I really babeied the first two sets, I pointed just about everyone past me.

The third set was not was wet, puddling was much lower, the forth set was nearly dry. On these sets it seemed like the car didn't have the power that it has on the street. Granted the cars and drivers around me are pretty capable, but I had trouble getting the muster to pass Miata's and GTIs.

The problem dawned on me in the middle of the fourth set, Track/Wet mode. Coming out of turns the engine made a Bap Bap sound, but once I straightened up the steering wheel the toon changed, the engine started to sing, and the engine started to pull. In Track/Wet mode the car's system restricts power until the steering angle is nearly zero. I've hear the Bap-Bap sound before in Tack/Sport 1,MAybe in Track/Sport 2 too. I clearly should not have been in Track/Wet on the last set, may be not the the third set.

In the fourth set I started reducing extreness of my steering inputs to make the Stabilitrak system happy. Every time I didn't do so the car penalized me and my gave me an aural reprimand, Bap-Bap. I found this to be an interesting driver's training tool. When you can hear the Bap-Bap sound you might not be taking as wide of an arc as you could be.

I also found that in the rain I was focusing on driving smoothness, so there's turning sour grapes into wine. Also, other drivers were trying to apex and driving through puddles, - don't!

I tried peel-away paint rather than blue painter's tape to protect the car's finish from rocks and tire rubber. I had some fun with design. I was hoping that the peel away paint would be good for multiple events, Oct-Nov-Dec, not so much, it's peeling away.

After packing up at the end of Saturday hoping for a better Sunday my car threw an ABS code and a Stabilitrak code, so I opted to not to track Sunday for my sake and everyone else's. Pretty bummed about missing Sunday, I was hoping to see if the new wheel and tire set up was going to help track times.

Come on November!

Also why do pictures appear with a normal bottom down orientation on Windows Photo Viewer and ALWAY appear sideways in Camaro 6 postings? What tool do you use to rotate for Camaro 6 postings?
Attached Images

BigShow1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:35 PM   #2
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
When i accidentally did a session with my rear seats folded down, there was some serious resonance inside the cabin, my roof was flexing like crazy. Put them up and it went away. Did you do a seat delete kit, or just left them out?
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:07 PM   #3
BigShow1960
BigShow

I have a seat delete kit. While on the track I took out the two panels over the bottom seat cushions but left in the panel between the cabin and trunk. The car is definitely louder with the seats removed.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:21 AM   #4
RyanR3KC
"1/LE Rebel Alliance"

Drives: 18 Black 1SS 1LE “Siouxsie
What did you use for Rear Seat Delete? I was thinking of going with Shrader

http://shraderperformance.com/shop/p...r-seat-delete/
RyanR3KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:55 AM   #5
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Yea, AMP was a little wet this weekend. I was out of town and wanted to go, but I'm sort of glad I didn't, haha. My buddy was in ST2 and had a few scary moments on Saturday in the rain.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:26 PM   #6
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
It's rotating the picture 90 degrees because you have taken vertically oriented pictures (taller than they are wide). Crop them so they are horizontally orientated (wider than tall) and reupload and they won't rotate
Attached Images

carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:15 PM   #7
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShow1960 View Post
Also why do pictures appear with a normal bottom down orientation on Windows Photo Viewer and ALWAY appear sideways in Camaro 6 postings? What tool do you use to rotate for Camaro 6 postings?
If these are cell phone shots, you're holding your phone horizontally instead of vertically - and the orientation of the photos reverts to the original orientation when you post them. Try taking the same picture 4 times with your phone, rotating it 90 degrees each time and post them as a test; each one will be rotated 90 degrees from the last one.

Some phones have an edit mode that lets you rotate the pictures 90 degrees at a time until they're oriented properly; then save them to replace the originals. I don't believe it has anything to do with cropping; when I downloaded this one to my computer's desktop (top, screenshot), it came through as a vertical, but attaching it here still took it back to the original horizontal format (bottom).

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 6.09.12 PM.png
Views: 164
Size:  536.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1299.JPG
Views: 206
Size:  131.0 KB

P.S. Glad you're able to hit the track now; we just had the 4th-earliest snowfall on record.
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:39 PM   #8
BigShow1960
BigShow

P.S. Glad you're able to hit the track now; we just had the 4th-earliest snowfall on record. [/QUOTE]

Moved here from Ohio 1.5 years ago, not missing Ohio that much.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:40 PM   #9
BigShow1960
BigShow

I have a Skidmark Garage Seat Delete. I had an install question, they were pretty responsive.