Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-28-2016, 11:53 AM   #29
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Use Blackfire total polish and seal- 2nd choice is meguires 205

I like the Blackfire for brand new car, 205 for older than 3 months....

Last edited by Glen e; 08-28-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #30
bdougwrx

Drives: 16 Hyper Blue RS V6 A8, 09 Civic EX
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2enigma View Post
So, what I'm seeing here is that I'm supposed to apply the crystal seal over the wax?

No, it's wash with dawn > clay bar > polish > sealant. Then a high quality carnauba wax (NOT a cleaner wax) if you wish.

Quote:
So I would use something like Meguiar's M205 Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish, then just apply the seal over that?
Yes. Some people like to was with dawn after polish to get rid of any residue before the sealant.
bdougwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:12 PM   #31
D2enigma

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdougwrx View Post
No, it's wash with dawn > clay bar > polish > sealant. Then a high quality carnauba wax (NOT a cleaner wax) if you wish.

Yes. Some people like to was with dawn after polish to get rid of any residue before the sealant.
Thats what I was confused about. From what I read, seal should be on top of the clean clear coat. If I polish it, I would think that it would still have that sit between the seal and the clear coat.

I just ordered a bottle of the blackfire crystal seal. I am going to try it first by following Glen's instructions and see how it goes.

My car is older than 3 mo, so I will go with 205 (I have 32oz bottle of 205 so I should make use of it)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
D2enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:48 PM   #32
Glen e

Quote:
Thats what I was confused about. From what I read, seal should be on top of the clean clear coat. If I polish it, I would think that it would still have that sit between the seal and the clear coat.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Polish is a mechanical action and therefore is completely stripped off before the Crystal seal goes on. That may be where you're getting confused, it's not like leaving a wax on the surface that the Crystal seal could interact with , the polish comes off clean and therefore the Crystal seal actually does go right against the clearcoat. If you want to be really anal about it , you can wipe down the car with alcohol/water before you Crystal seal, right after the polish.

watch a few YouTube before you use it, everybody uses entirely too much, there's 10 to 15 cars in each bottle.

Last edited by Glen e; 08-28-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:24 PM   #33
Drags1998

Drives: 15 SilveradoLTZ,162SSVert BlazerRS
I've done My Car 4-5 times with Crystal seal and still have enough to do it at least 10 more times, use it VERY SPARINGLY!!!!! Thanks Glen, I LOVE this STUFF!!!!!!
Drags1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:55 AM   #34
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
How does this compare to Chemical Guys V7 or Chemical Guys JetSeal?

I got a spray bottle of V7 as a gift, but the bottle had a slow leak and it evaporated while in storage. Never got a chance to try it.
So I am guessing nobody who is actively involved in this thread has experience with Chemical Guys V7 and Blackfire Crystal Seal? If so I will just try V7 because it's much more widely known and seems good for people like me who want a quick spray application.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:54 PM   #35
Drags1998

Drives: 15 SilveradoLTZ,162SSVert BlazerRS
I've used both, I started using CS on the Camaro, It seems to work Very well, I have used V7 on My 15 Silverado Since New and find that it works Well also. My Car spends ALOT of time in the garage. My Truck spends all Day, Every Day outside and the V7 Makes it Very easy to keep Clean. The Camaro Has yet to caught in the rain so I have not washed it yet!!! It gets Dusted off and then gets a coat of Crystal Seal, and It looks better than the Day I picked it up!!!Hope this helps.
Drags1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:30 PM   #36
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
While he's figuring it out, here's crystal seal 4 months later and after a 200 mile rainstorm without a wash. Nothing sticks to it and it takes 20 min to apply - no buffing, easily my fav detailing product. Ultima paint guard is the same stuff. I still suggest a finishing polish first for best results just the first time, like Blackfire total polish and seal (TPNS).
I haven't done the diamond seal yet but jesus. I'm assuming there was dirt in the rain, etc, and you didn't even rinse after with a spotless tank?
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:31 PM   #37
Glen e

It's a car, I don't baby it, it was raining all week and still is, I'll wash it next week. The point is ,the polymer sloughs off most of the dirt.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:26 PM   #38
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
It's a car, I don't baby it, it was raining all week and still is, I'll wash it next week. The point is ,the polymer sloughs off most of the dirt.
I can't help but think the chemical components of our rain and also factoring in the dirt on the road here since it rarely ever rains is a factor. If I drive in rain, even after following your guide(minus diamond seal, which I have but skipped), it is spotted to hell.
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:37 PM   #39
Cldgin2

Drives: 2017 1LE SS
What are the long term effects of these type of products? Looks great now, but over the course of 4, 5 or 6 years? Any ill effects over time is what I'm asking? I've seen cars where it looks like the clear coat is coming off, but its actually the left overs from various products and looks like bad oxidation.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:24 PM   #40
Glen e

I've been using crystal seal and ultima since 2009...so have the detailing sites.....no ill effects, they are simple polymers, like Rejex, nxt, just without needing to buff. First created by Dr G at optimum, the creator of opti coat, the first coating.

This type product maybe new to a lot of people here, but it's been on the detailing sites and other sites since about 2008. It's not new , or some "as seen on TV" shit.

Last edited by Glen e; 08-29-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:54 AM   #41
Mighunter

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
I'm new to all this detailing stuff. Found this on their website, don't know if it is helpful at all......

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autopia/BF-handbook.pdf
Mighunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:05 PM   #42
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighunter View Post
I'm new to all this detailing stuff. Found this on their website, don't know if it is helpful at all......

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autopia/BF-handbook.pdf
I'm pretty new at it also. Thanks for the link.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote