Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 08-25-2016, 12:57 PM   #29
marcgo2

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue
I got cquartz finest
Old 08-25-2016, 01:23 PM   #30
Billabongi

Drives: '17 SS 50th Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoent View Post
OP, if you want to be super sure, just reach out to mike at Autogeek and get his thoughts. He may say it is the worst idea since the invention of the mustang.
Zing! Thanks for the help, I'm no detailing guru so I typically stick to paint sealants. I used Adam's Liquid paint sealant last time and really liked that, but these coatings look amazing so I am tempted to try them out.
Billabongi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:15 AM   #31
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Excuse the ignorance. If you have a car opticoated, then for the next 3 years or so you just have to two bucket was the car and it comes out looking "freshly waxed" everytime?
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:15 AM   #32
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
Excuse the ignorance. If you have a car opticoated, then for the next 3 years or so you just have to two bucket was the car and it comes out looking "freshly waxed" everytime?
Pretty much, rinseless preferred over two bucket. Most installers reccomend optimum no rinse (ONR)....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:25 AM   #33
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
Do you see the pic of the black bmw above?

That car was washed weekly using waterless wash for over 3 years after optic oat and looked like that ever time.

Waterless wash.

The bmw saw water once or twice in my 4 years of ownership.
cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:33 AM   #34
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Pretty much, rinseless preferred over two bucket. Most installers reccomend optimum no rinse (ONR)....
So just apply ONR with a sponge to a section, and dry it with a towel and that's it? No detail spraying, etc, etc? Wow...I need to do this on my car when I get it. Will make it so much easier to maintain. Plus no more bi-yearly waxing/polishing?!
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:34 AM   #35
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Do it like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vt2pngsnv...nTAhOsRua?dl=0
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:37 PM   #36
EMTNLSS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
I plan on taking mine to a local detailer and having them correct the paint then i'm going to put on some 22ple HPC coating that I have.

Current Mods: Catch Can | aFe Lowering Springs | GM 2nd Gen Splitter | Hotchkis Sway Bars | MRR FS02 Wheels | Flowmaster Exhaust | Dark Tail Lights | Diode Dynamics Sidemarkers | Roto Fab | Solar TB | PRAY Ported IM | BMR | PRAY Tune

Upcoming Mods:
EMTNLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:37 PM   #37
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
So just apply ONR with a sponge to a section, and dry it with a towel and that's it? No detail spraying, etc, etc? Wow...I need to do this on my car when I get it. Will make it so much easier to maintain. Plus no more bi-yearly waxing/polishing?!
For rinseless or waterless wash I recommend Meguires D114. I have used most waterless and rinseless washes on coated cars, D114 is the best. Many leave streaks, or hazing behind, so once coated you may try some different brands. Basically coatings like nothing on top, however there are some exceptions such as hybrid waxes and detail sprays designed for coatings.

For after care I recommend D114 for waterless/rinseless
Gyeon cure or Kamikaze overcoat for maintenance spray
Gyeon Bathe+ for traditional washing with two buckets

Also it is best to blot dry the car with a top shelf microfiber if using waterless or rinseless. For traditional blow dry, followed by blot dry where necessary.

Coating will swirl out just like the clear if washed, or dried improperly, and these are the two areas where 90% of paint damage occurs. If your going to wipe dry make sure that you have a top shelf clean microfiber, and use a drying aid such as Gyeon cure, overcoat, or car pro reload. Reload works well as a drying aid, but can be tricky to use as a maintenance spray on a dry car.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:17 AM   #38
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
^ Good info, thanks.

What if you get a bird shit, or light skuff that would normally need waxing/polishing? How do you deal with this on a coated car?
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:57 AM   #39
cleoent

I've used a bunch of waterless washes as well. I think depending on how your coating does with wax, Meguiars D115 is a fantastic waterless wash as it also has wax built in, vs d114 which is simply a cleaner.

D115 was the best for the opticoat on my m5. I'm still not sure how well it works on top of the wolfgang. I'm only two washes in. Car looks great, but I'm going to try some ultima waterless next as it has no wax.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:41 PM   #40
Nor Cal ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
^ Good info, thanks.

What if you get a bird shit, or light skuff that would normally need waxing/polishing? How do you deal with this on a coated car?
Bird crap depends. If acidic it will eat pretty much anything, hopefully if coated just the coating. For light blemishes I use Car Pro Essence and re-coat the area. It works fine for touch up work, vs re-polishing the entire panel. Another product that works is a water spot remover for coatings. I would start with the water spot remover and move to Essence if necessary.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:45 PM   #41
Nor Cal ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoent View Post
I've used a bunch of waterless washes as well. I think depending on how your coating does with wax, Meguiars D115 is a fantastic waterless wash as it also has wax built in, vs d114 which is simply a cleaner.

D115 was the best for the opticoat on my m5. I'm still not sure how well it works on top of the wolfgang. I'm only two washes in. Car looks great, but I'm going to try some ultima waterless next as it has no wax.
Your just going to have to try them out. I am coated with Kamikaze, it did not like anything except D114. Everything else either left a haze or streaks. The coating responded the best to D114. I suspect each coating will respond differently to either the polymers, or waxes present in a given product.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:48 PM   #42
cleoent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
Your just going to have to try them out. I am coated with Kamikaze, it did not like anything except D114. Everything else either left a haze or streaks. The coating responded the best to D114. I suspect each coating will respond differently to either the polymers, or waxes present in a given product.
Completely agree.