Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-09-2017, 04:47 AM   #1
uvraise

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS Convertible
Help with noise!

I've been having a squeaking noise coming from the engine for about three weeks now. It goes away after about 20 minutes. I've tried replacing the idler pulley assembly and replaced the belt at the same time, but it's still there on a cold start.
Any ideas what the next logical pulley/component it could be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 SS2/RS, SCT Tune (Dynosteve), Vitesse Throttle Controller, Vararam VR-DRX CAI, Vararam Power Wedge TBS, Granatelli Performance MAF
uvraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:20 AM   #2
Andrews2013 2SS

Drives: 2013 2ss coupe Crystal Red Metallic
Send a message via Skype™ to Andrews2013 2SS
I would use an automotive stethoscope, remove the probe from it and then listen around each accessory to pinpoint where it is loudest. I've seen alternators do that.
Andrews2013 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:27 AM   #3
Kiwi_Camaro_2010

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS 2010 L99
Prob be air cond stretch belt, they do that, replace it, see if it goes away, they sound metalic when squeaking
Camaro 2SS/RS 2010 / L99 / Whipple SC /Dynatech Headers & Catts (gutted), ID 850 injectors, ZL1 fuel pump +BAP & ADM pump controller, ZR1 3Bar MAP, Dual Elite Catch Cans, 91 octane ,Eibach sway bar kit , Driveshaft loop, oil cooler delete, ADM dual gauges (AFR/Boost) LC1 wideband controller, D/D, ARP stud kit ,Callies forged slayer crank 3.622", callies ultra rods, wiseco forged pistons, L99-LS3, rollmaster double row steel timing set & comps cam timing cover,blower cam 630/660 lift,3/8 pushrods, pac gear 8deg, yella terra ultra lites. LS9 head gaskets. Texas speed custom oil pump. Asm by me.
Kiwi_Camaro_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:58 AM   #4
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
It could be any component in the belt route. You seem to be doing it the right way, starting with the idler pulley and belt, but any other component that has any hesitation or inconsistency is the next- in- line culprit.

I had the same issue that you describe, changed my belt out three times, and the idler pulley twice before figuring out that it was my water pump. The pump (otherwise) seemed perfectly fine, so I had disregarded it as a suspect, but in the end, that was it.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:00 PM   #5
uvraise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
It could be any component in the belt route. You seem to be doing it the right way, starting with the idler pulley and belt, but any other component that has any hesitation or inconsistency is the next- in- line culprit.

I had the same issue that you describe, changed my belt out three times, and the idler pulley twice before figuring out that it was my water pump. The pump (otherwise) seemed perfectly fine, so I had disregarded it as a suspect, but in the end, that was it.

Did you do the replacement yourself? If so, what was the difficulty level? I use to dive right in when I was a kid, but I'm pushing 50 now and I can't contort the way I use to! Lol

2015 SS2/RS, SCT Tune (Dynosteve), Vitesse Throttle Controller, Vararam VR-DRX CAI, Vararam Power Wedge TBS, Granatelli Performance MAF
Old 05-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #6
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by uvraise View Post
Did you do the replacement yourself? If so, what was the difficulty level? I use to dive right in when I was a kid, but I'm pushing 50 now and I can't contort the way I use to! Lol

Sorry, I should have clarified: This was on a Suburban. The principle applies, but not the experience with the car. Pushing 50 myself, too, but comparing a Suburban repair (fairly easy) to a Camaro repair would be like comparing apples to birds...
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:10 PM   #7
uvraise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
Sorry, I should have clarified: This was on a Suburban. The principle applies, but not the experience with the car. Pushing 50 myself, too, but comparing a Suburban repair (fairly easy) to a Camaro repair would be like comparing apples to birds...
LMAO! Yeah I hear ya! I just replaced the A/C drive belt. What a pain in the A$$! So, I'll have to wait now until the AM to see if that was it. IF not, I guess I'll look at the water pump then the alternator, with a stethoscope, as suggested. The water pump doesn't look like a fun job on these engines!
Old 05-09-2017, 05:11 PM   #8
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Don't you have any warranty left?
Old 05-09-2017, 05:11 PM   #9
uvraise

Yep, just under 2K miles.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:32 AM   #10
uvraise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi_Camaro_2010 View Post
Prob be air cond stretch belt, they do that, replace it, see if it goes away, they sound metalic when squeaking
Well, it looks like you were spot on! I replaced the stretch belt yesterday and when I started her up this morning, quiet as a church mouse! So, keeping my fingers crossed!