Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 05-06-2024, 12:16 AM   #1
DaRemix86

Drives: 16' Camaro 2SS A8, HBM, MRC
Help! Broken MSD PCV

Hello, I was removing my MSD Intake from my old Camaro and I'm not sure when it happened but the PCV was broken in half. Is this able to be fixed or will I have to buy a completely new intake from MSD?
Attached Images

DaRemix86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 11:32 PM   #2
Dirtbike

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
I'm sure there is some way to fix it. Depends on how much is broken off....worst case you could pull or drill out the stub and drill/tap in a metal version.
For example: https://a.co/d/3MNGjyP
Dirtbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 06:30 AM   #3
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbike View Post
I'm sure there is some way to fix it. Depends on how much is broken off....worst case you could pull or drill out the stub and drill/tap in a metal version.
For example: https://a.co/d/3MNGjyP
I agree.
I would seal it with something compatible with plastic. You really don't want to use thread tape with a male metal part going into female plastic as it might crack it.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 03:12 AM   #4
DaRemix86

This is what I was thinking of doing but wasnt sure if I could. Is there a tool to get the PCV nipple off?
Old 06-08-2024, 03:35 PM   #5
ChibbMD

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Have you contacted MSD yet?
ChibbMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 10:03 AM   #6
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
If this is a threaded fitting, a sprinkler nipple extractor might work. They sell these at Home Depot, Lowe's, harbor freight...
These do tend to scuff up the inner wall of the fitting you are extracting.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2024, 03:04 PM   #7
DaRemix86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibbMD View Post
Have you contacted MSD yet?
Yeah, they said its friction welded and they arent able to repair it. Why they would make such an expensive unit and not be able to repair a vulnerable piece is beyond me. So I guess I'll have to try and break the weld and replace it with a threaded tip if possible.
Old 07-23-2024, 03:36 PM   #8
GreyGhost702

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRemix86 View Post
Yeah, they said its friction welded and they arent able to repair it. Why they would make such an expensive unit and not be able to repair a vulnerable piece is beyond me. So I guess I'll have to try and break the weld and replace it with a threaded tip if possible.
The attempt to remove the fitting may cause further damage. There are a couple of less damaging fixes you could attempt first. If you cut just behind the keeper (not sure what to call it), the piece that the PCV fitting would normally "click" to, that would get you a straight piece. If you can match a plastic pipe ID to the OD, you can glue an extension on and go from there.

Another thought, if you cut it down to the base of the fitting, taking the remaining nipple off, you could drill the base, and if there's enough material thickness, thread a plastic barbed fitting into the base. Should even be able to get that fitting in black plastic. Or you could go metal, but I don't like using metal fittings on plastic, particularly threads for obvious reasons. If there isn't enough material to cut a thread into the base fitting, you could still use the plastic threaded barb fitting and glue it. The threads will act as a guide to keep the fitting straight, once the glue sets it will be as hard as plastic and sealed. You should be able to thread it in up the hilt.

Just my $0.02 for a less risky approach.

As a word of caution, friction welding is great for making a clean looking joining of 2 pieces, but when it breaks it more often causes a lot of base material damage because no filler material is used in the joining process. If you try to remove that fitting, you will likely take a chunk of the manifold with it. Your best option to remove the fitting, is to cut it out with a high speed dremel. Again, I'd exhaust the other methods of re-using what is left before resorting to that. Without knowing what the port looked like before the fitting was inserted and joined, you won't know how much material to remove or where to remove material from. It's not something you can just put a heat gun to and pull.
ProCharger D1X Race Kit - 4.25" Pulley || GPI Pistons/Rods - ACL Bearings - ARP Hardware || LME Timing Chain Guide || Katech C5R Timing Chain || Katech OE Spec Billet Oil Pump || OE Ported Heads || CHE Trunnion Upgrade || BTR 220 Cam - BTR .660" Dual Springs - GM Racing "Caddy" Lifters - BTR Chromoly Pushrods (7.825") || ATI Balancer || LT4 Injectors || LT4 HPFP || JMS BAP || DSX Flex Fuel || LT2 Intake Manifold || LTH (Catless) || Stainless Works Redline Series NPP || 91 + Boostane

7/26/2024 Tuning in progress
GreyGhost702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 11:46 AM   #9
2020BLK1LE

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRemix86 View Post
Hello, I was removing my MSD Intake from my old Camaro and I'm not sure when it happened but the PCV was broken in half. Is this able to be fixed or will I have to buy a completely new intake from MSD?
I have the upper shell from my MSD for sale throw me a offer
2020BLK1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 03:25 PM   #10
23VIVIDORANGE1LE

Drives: 2023 Camaro SS 1LE
I had mine broke off during shipping, UPS was not gentle with the box. I JB Plastic welded it back together. I put a drinking straw in the opening and prepped the area and applied the JB Weld to both parts and it's air tight now. I'll take a picture when I get home.
23VIVIDORANGE1LE is offline   Reply With Quote