Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-23-2019, 03:21 PM   #1
Vaider

Drives: 18 NFG 1SS 1LE
1LE bang for the buck

Just a little back-story, I recently sold my 2006 Chrysler 300 SRT8. I loved that car. Lots of room for a bigger guy like myself and plenty of motor. This had been the plan for several months to sell it in the spring and get something new. Meanwhile, I'd been watching Autotrader and researching the hell out of 1LE's and SRT8/Scat Pack Challengers. I could not find a used 1LE close to me to test drive. One finally popped up last week about 3 hours away with a scat pack another 15 minutes from that. Drove the scat first and liked it. Drove the 1LE and LOVED it. Drove it home. I am absolutely floored by the handling and grip this car has. It's almost begging you to push it to the limit on turns. Can't wait to get to a track and really have fun with it. BTW- it's an '18 NIGHTFALL GRAY 1SS with 9K miles on it. I'm sure that I'll be a frequent flyer in here and love all of the info available in the threads. Just wanted to kind of introduce myself. Soooo..... SUP.
Vaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:01 PM   #2
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
Smile

If a track day or two is in your plans the 1LE is the one! Enjoy your car!
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:19 AM   #3
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Congrats and welcome to the club!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:11 AM   #4
ScatPack
Banned

Drives: None at the moment
Yeah if you dont need to DD it then its the right choice. If you need to DD it like I did, then its the wrong one. Especially when I lived up north. I DDed my scat after the 1LE and that was the right car to be in every day. But I so missed the sharpness of the 1LE for messing around on the roads. That car just loves to be pushed way past any limit you probably have. Congrats.
ScatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:20 AM   #5
24v
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 SS
Pretty silly when people say a 1LE isn't a good DD and is only for people who want to go to the track. The only thing not conducive to DD in all conditions is the tires, and those aren't hard to change for better DD versions.

Congrats on your purchase Nightfall Grey is an awesome color on the 1LE.
24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:27 AM   #6
Infamus

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
congrats and I DD my 1LE. Actually I bought it to be my daily driver, to keep the mile off my other ride. Do a track day and you will love her even more.

Last edited by Infamus; 05-30-2019 at 07:08 AM.
Infamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:19 AM   #7
BMKY

Drives: 18 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I DD my 1LE. It's ok in winter with good winter tires, but do not drive aggressively when there's rain and snow. Also need be careful in rainy summer with the stock tires. Just my .02
Old 05-24-2019, 10:32 AM   #8
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMKY View Post
I DD my 1LE. It's ok in winter with good winter tires, but do not drive aggressively when there's rain and snow. Also need be careful in rainy summer with the stock tires. Just my .02
Good advice, which applies to any car with big torque and less than ideal road conditions.

The stockers are actually surprisingly good in the wet.
I got caught in an absolute deluge on concrete freeway, had to slow down of course, but had zero stability issues even tho the tires had 3 track days on them already.

In comparison, i got caught in a rain on NT01s with a few track days on them in my old Vette and almost dumped her in a ditch a few times going about 30...
Old 05-24-2019, 11:25 AM   #9
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Love driving my 1LE whenever it's hot outside and not raining. Which is most of the time in Houston.

For bad weather or carrying lots of cargo I have a 4Runner.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:33 AM   #10
fadkar

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE
Congrats! This car really is a monster. I've always been a conservative driver my whole life until I bought this car....it just begs you to push it harder and harder in the twisties!!!
Old 05-24-2019, 12:04 PM   #11
Vaider

Drives: 18 NFG 1SS 1LE
It is my DD for the moment and I'm fine with that. Plan top get a cheap truck next spring though
Vaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:55 PM   #12
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamus View Post
congrats and I DD my 1LE. Actually I bought it to be my daily driver, to keep the mile off my other ride. Do a track day and you will move her even more.
I have a DD to keep miles off my 1LE
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:44 PM   #13
BMKY

Drives: 18 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Good advice, which applies to any car with big torque and less than ideal road conditions.

The stockers are actually surprisingly good in the wet.
I got caught in an absolute deluge on concrete freeway, had to slow down of course, but had zero stability issues even tho the tires had 3 track days on them already.
Sounds very good to me especially after 3 track days. Are you planning to move to other brands or still the stock tires once they are done? I would like to hit the track 1-2 times a year, 3 at most letting my wife still happy.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:29 PM   #14
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMKY View Post

Sounds very good to me especially after 3 track days. Are you planning to move to other brands or still the stock tires once they are done? I would like to hit the track 1-2 times a year, 3 at most letting my wife still happy.
Well the original stockers were done back in early 2017 after about 6-7 track days and some dd.

Ive tried 2 other tires:
Cup2 which were horrifically expensive but i had never run them and expected better pace, but got no improvement and corded a front after 5 days.
RE71R 295 square which was more $ vs G3s but still reasonable and lasted the same as G3s. Liked them a lot, but didnt gain any pace so went back to G3s.

At this stage ive ordered a set of G3 and RE71R for this season start, only because our local GY warehouse is dumping older stock of late 2017MY. Still acceptable and the price is right, but I aint happy. So will run them both again and see where i land for my 3rd set this season.

Cheers!