Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-23-2017, 07:00 PM   #29
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
OK...picked up a Proto wrench. Yeah, I'm a Snap-On guy but the company I work for is a disty for Proto & got it at cost. Big savings over the top shelf as little as I am going to use it. They do make good tools however.

Anyway, I got that scratch on the rim & got it fixed, but obviously they didn't torque.

My question is did any of you guys check your torque on these lugs when bought new...would you suggest just checking them all at the 135 - 140 range.

Did you notice if they were or weren't to to spec?? Just curious.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:14 PM   #30
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
OK...picked up a Proto wrench. Yeah, I'm a Snap-On guy but the company I work for is a disty for Proto & got it at cost. Big savings over the top shelf as little as I am going to use it. They do make good tools however.

Anyway, I got that scratch on the rim & got it fixed, but obviously they didn't torque.

My question is did any of you guys check your torque on these lugs when bought new...would you suggest just checking them all at the 135 - 140 range.

I checked mine and all seemed very close to the 140 spec.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:22 PM   #31
Artos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector 17 View Post
I checked mine and all seemed very close to the 140 spec.
Not mine...set the wrench to 135lbs.

On each wheel, only one or two lugs went straight to the click...all the others went about 1/2 turn or more before reaching.

All 4 safety/key lugs were under 135...just fyi for those that may want to check before attending any track days.

FWIW fellas...
Old 06-23-2017, 08:54 PM   #32
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
Keep in mind, most torque wrenches aren't accurate at the top and bottom 10%.
Unless its Calibrated..
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:47 PM   #33
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpavela View Post
I should have put the link in. Here it is. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-1-2-...Wrench/3381202
This is the one I use as well. I tried Lowes digital one but it was usless as stated above. Returned it and got the one listed in the link.

Funny how the 5th Gen's list 110lbs for torque.....
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:03 AM   #34
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post

So you got the Stanley-Proto?

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-J6014...+torque+wrench

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:36 AM   #35
Artos

Yes sir...that is the one. I paid a little less, but that is a very fair price.

Stanley - Black & Decker is strong & has snagged the majority of the hand tool market with their various brands / acquisitions. It's a good wrench & just couldn't see paying twice as much for Snap-on. The shop had this one in stock from 50-250lbs & a 30-150lbs unit.

Like jerome stated, I was trying to keep the needs in the middle & and not use it on the extreme ends. I also want to check out the front sway bar torque since so many are having issues with the clunk. Sorta on the down range of my wrench as my understanding is 89lbs on the lower & 74lbs on the upper sway.

I mentioned to the shop manager that I also needed him to order torque screwdriver for my long gun / optic mounts. He walked away & pulled a Proto 6106 unit. Said it had been sitting on the shelf for over a year & gifted it to me.

I'll also likely pick up lower range torque 3/8 drive down the road...like stated, you really do need these from time to time & make a good addition to the 'box'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
Old 02-16-2018, 02:03 AM   #36
Crizmotek

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
For sure I think I need to 250ft/lb. After looking at everyone's suggestion, I found this one. I feel Snap-on is the best in my book, but I don't know CDI. Anyone have any experience with CDI?

These are made in USA

https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-CD...+torque+wrench
I know this is an old post, but CDI is owned by snap-on. The snap-on torque wrenches are CDI, but with upgraded snap-on ratchets...per my snap-on dealer.
Crizmotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:07 PM   #37
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Possibly a dumb question. That’s fine. But what determines the torque spec of the lugs? Is it the lugs themselves, thread pattern, the wheels, other? Just wondering what I need to adjust if I replace any of the above. Thanks.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:23 PM   #38
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
None of the above...really, although they are ancillary.

The answer: make, model and year. Although stud size obviously limits torque.

For those wanting a simple way to install and remove lugnuts: I haven't looked back since getting my M18 Gen 2 impact wrench. Removes up to 1400 lbs. Real useful on 3/4" studs (torqued to 450-500 ft. lbs.).
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:08 AM   #39
SoCal Smith

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
I went around and noticed that one of my wheels was not at 140 and needed a 3/4 turn to hit 140lb. Really weird, only 3kmiles on her.
SoCal Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:39 AM   #40
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
None of the above...really, although they are ancillary.

The answer: make, model and year. Although stud size obviously limits torque.

For those wanting a simple way to install and remove lugnuts: I haven't looked back since getting my M18 Gen 2 impact wrench. Removes up to 1400 lbs. Real useful on 3/4" studs (torqued to 450-500 ft. lbs.).

Interesting. I wouldn’t have expected that. Wasn’t the the bolt pattern and such the same from the 5th gen which didn’t require 140? So if I moved wheels over and hardware potentially (not certain that’s the same), that alone requiring more torque is hard to comprehend.

Do impact wrenches have a tightening torque spec listed? I didn’t see one on mine and wasn’t sure if it would strip something if I used it to tighten. Supposed to use manual wrench to tighten right? I have an Aircat 1000-TH.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #41
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
Do impact wrenches have a tightening torque spec listed? I didn’t see one on mine and wasn’t sure if it would strip something if I used it to tighten. Supposed to use manual wrench to tighten right? I have an Aircat 1000-TH.
I wouldn't use an impact wrench to tighten to final spec. It'd be a time saver to torque below spec with an impact set on a lower setting, but final spec should be done by a calibrated torque wrench. This is why I always ask how they torque the tires at tire shops, and I check them when I get home. Many times I've had lug nuts applied to about 140 ft lbs on my daily driver, when the spec is 80. This would be a huge problem if I had a flat and needed to use the factory wrench to remove the nuts.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:02 PM   #42
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
I wouldn't use an impact wrench to tighten to final spec. It'd be a time saver to torque below spec with an impact set on a lower setting, but final spec should be done by a calibrated torque wrench. This is why I always ask how they torque the tires at tire shops, and I check them when I get home. Many times I've had lug nuts applied to about 140 ft lbs on my daily driver, when the spec is 80. This would be a huge problem if I had a flat and needed to use the factory wrench to remove the nuts.
Use a torque stick. Each torque stick is calibrated for a specific torque. It looks like a simple 1/2" for your impact gun. At the specified torque, the torque stick 'gives' and stops turning. They work great (and are designed for use with) with an impact wrench.

If you prefer, you can buy one calibrated for just under your torque spec (they normally come in 10 ft/lb increments), then after using the torque wrench, tighten the lug nuts with your own torque wrench.

For display purposes only so you can see what I'm talking about (choose your own brand!)
https://www.harborfreight.com/10-pie...set-69870.html

Using a torque stick with an impact wrench makes torqueing the lug nuts much faster and with no worry that your new impact wrench will tighten them so much nobody will be able to get them off.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote