Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-04-2016, 11:06 PM   #57
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
Yes I considered a new GS for sure...I have a feeling the 1LE is going to be faster around laguna....Here is my z06/7 post I forgot to add last night:

Yes the c7 Z06/07 cars are unstable. Here is how I explain it: In the 1LE I can take turn 4 at 85mph +/- EVERY SINGLE LAP, it doesn't change, it always slides the same, powers out the same, grips the same, under-steers the same etc...so every time I get to that point I know what it is coming.. DO NOT TRY THAT IN A Z06! you might have a very fiber-glassy experience. The 3rd or fourth lap in a 2015 z07 the grip just disappeared randomly and now I am stuck trying over-steer it back with power....Butt Pucker.....Now try that same scenario on EVERY TURN...now the track is no fun.
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:52 AM   #58
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
Yes I considered a new GS for sure...I have a feeling the 1LE is going to be faster around laguna....Here is my z06/7 post I forgot to add last night:

Yes the c7 Z06/07 cars are unstable. Here is how I explain it: In the 1LE I can take turn 4 at 85mph +/- EVERY SINGLE LAP, it doesn't change, it always slides the same, powers out the same, grips the same, under-steers the same etc...so every time I get to that point I know what it is coming.. DO NOT TRY THAT IN A Z06! you might have a very fiber-glassy experience. The 3rd or fourth lap in a 2015 z07 the grip just disappeared randomly and now I am stuck trying over-steer it back with power....Butt Pucker.....Now try that same scenario on EVERY TURN...now the track is no fun.
This seems to be the consensus in some of the other reviews of the C7 Z06 too. It makes sense to me, but I can see how a lot of Corvette guys aren't going to take this well. It will be very hard to explain to the average joe that even though the corvette is lighter it doesn't automatically mean its a better drivers car.

Backeddy, do you think the GS will struggle with some of the same issues as the Z06 even if its less nose heavy and more reasonably powered?
Old 08-05-2016, 08:49 AM   #59
1leNPP

Drives: 1LE , 1SS , NPP
I hear what you are saying but I think the GS corvette with only 450HP and the 325 rear tire will be way more consistent than the C7 Zo6 that just has one gold in life to kill its rear tires. For you driving skill lvl. I just think the GS is a better fit for you .
1leNPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:09 PM   #60
backeddy
Banned

It probably is going to depend on the track....Laguna, I will take the Camaro every time, it has the weight/balance and rotation to handle the track with ease and very consistently to boot. Here is one of my last outings before I switched to the Porsche last year....One thing to note is that I always take a cool down lap after 3 fast laps, so the brakes, tires (and my spleen LOL) can recover....
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2016, 06:39 AM   #61
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Hey Backeddy, which name/car number are you on the time sheet then. There isn't one that says Backeddy!
Old 08-06-2016, 05:13 PM   #62
backeddy
Banned

LOL, yeah...I am craig p
Old 08-06-2016, 09:07 PM   #63
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
LOL, yeah...I am craig p
Nice times! I hope someday I'm able to get out to laguna to at least say I've been on that track. May be a long time before I can make that happen though!

Since I have not responded to your original reason for making this thread yet, my feeling is there is likely a reason why you are gravitating back towards a 1LE. The car and package just really perform well and is consistent and fun. It seems to match your driving style well and is a great performance bargain. Are there other choices that might squeak another second or two lap time out, probably. But from all your previous track day posts it seems like you just really enjoy tracking the 1LE. So in my mind your decision is really pretty easy. Get a 2017 1LE, track it, smile, enjoy it...wash, rinse, repeat. The money you save compared to other cars will go a long way to paying for your track day entry fees. It just seems like the 1LE is a great match for you and you should just stick with it. If it isn't broke...don't fix it!

And it would be interesting to see how a Grand Sport performs for you if you ever have the opportunity to drive one of those. I also wonder if some of the ZO6/ZO7 inconsistency you experienced is due to the tires possibly. It seems like I've heard complaints in the past about the Pilot Sport Cups being very sticky, but not always as consistent. Maybe a Goodyear Supercar tire like you used a lot on the 1LE would offer you more consistency than you experienced with the Pilot Sport Cups. Just a thought.

Good luck with your decision though. I'm not sure if there really is a "bad" decision though!
Old 08-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #64
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Hi everyone! With a year of using the dedicated porsche 944 track car, I miss the power of the 1LE (and the handling too) and I am ready to buy a new car. So I have the same dilemma as I did in 2014...what car should I buy this time around? here are my thoughts, please let me know what you would do (remember I track A LOT and can do 1:42's at Laguna in a 1LE).

Here is my list (that I can afford)
1. 2017 1LE SS
2. 2013-15 Cayman S PDK
3. 2011-12 Boxster Spyder PDK
4. 2014-15 z28
5. Lotus Exige S
6 2014-15 Vette
7. GT350TP
Let me know what you guys think.....
OP, hats off to your skills. I think you are already leaning towards the 1LE. Especially when you consider the cost of ownership and tracking. So why not get the 1LE and immediately sell the stock wheel/tire setup? I am sure the new 1LE wheels will be in high demand. To me the 1LE wheels are the best looking CA6 wheel by far including the ZL1 setup we have been seeing. Then pick up a set of 19" 1LE replicas. Even the 20s are actually pretty light according to the early promises. Then your tire choice opens up.

The 5th gen 1SS 1LE was the track bargain for the ages when you consider its performance. The CA6 1LE will take down even more expensive hardware than the 5th gen for sure with someone with skills driving. The LT1 has it all over the LS3 in the lighter car stock. And the GM promise is that tracking is okay if you leave it stock. As far as cooling goes, the new SS has it all over the 5th gen. I can hot lap my M6 at Atco and the times and MPH remain consistent.

And what I hear from experienced drivers big HP FI cars can be fast on the track. But even beyond the heat soak issue they are not as much fun to go fast with. That LT1 in the SS gives 5th Gen ZL1 performance. Is more really needed? I let my friend drive my TT 1LE on a track. I know, that was stupid. And the guy flipped it on the first turn. Lucky for us he was fine. The 1LE not so much. Do we really need big engine FI?

And after all that, the new SS interior is well designed for the driver, MRC gives the car street flexibility, and the NPP sounds great. While the interior looks awkward, it is a great place to drive a car from. I assume the 1LE NPP will let you set a quiet mode like the standard SS when coming home at 2AM. And the chassis feels rock solid.

My standard CA6 SS handlng on runflats feels every bit as good as my old 1LE but with more understeer. I am sure the 1LE will be a leap better.

Buy the 1LE, you know you want it.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:48 AM   #65
backeddy
Banned

I went and test drove the M6 again yesterday.....great feeling car! As long as the price is right I will get a 1LE 99% sure...The only 1% of doubt is that the 2011/12 Spyder will hold ALL of it's value and could basically be a free toy vs the 25% drop the Camaro IS going to have....
Old 08-08-2016, 08:59 AM   #66
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
So is $44k the right price?
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:03 AM   #67
Mud Z06

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
So is $44k the right price?
looks like it.
Mud Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:38 PM   #68
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
I went and test drove the M6 again yesterday.....great feeling car! As long as the price is right I will get a 1LE 99% sure...The only 1% of doubt is that the 2011/12 Spyder will hold ALL of it's value and could basically be a free toy vs the 25% drop the Camaro IS going to have....
Keep the 1LE forever and improve it over time. It might be that good.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:39 PM   #69
pdoherty972

Drives: 2013 370Z sports
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam 6 View Post
Some nice '14 Zs out there, but warranty is almost gone. Personally, I would hesitate based on that reason alone.
You sure? Warranties usually START when the first owner takes delivery. So if you can find one that's never been sold its warranty should be fully intact.
pdoherty972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:10 PM   #70
pdoherty972

Drives: 2013 370Z sports
Quote:
I won't be buying a ZL1 no matter what though, because of the heat soak issue at the track, they are one lap hero's and I have personally never seen one that did not run hot and lose 100hp by the 4th lap.
Will that be true with all the extra cooling Chevy put on the ZL1? They gave the press turns doing laps on a track for an hour or two straight. No one had a butt dyno for what the car could do yet, of course, but no one saw anything resembling limp mode either.
pdoherty972 is offline   Reply With Quote