Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-27-2020, 10:32 PM   #15
ReevZL1

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
Any other suggestions?

I was looking into a new drive shaft but wonder if there are other things to do first? Car makes plenty of power and the trans has been tuned as well. Would any suspension work be a good idea?
It just depends on what you want to do with the car. Do you want to roll race? If so then the stock suspension is great.

For Drag Racing: I would do the Carlyle Racing 15” conversion with the solid bushings and you’re set. You can do coil overs as well but not necessary unless your competing.

DSS Driveshaft and axels are always a great idea for not breaking. The biggest thing is eliminating wheel hop which causes breakage.
ReevZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:00 PM   #16
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Drives: '16 Z06
Good information. Setting the car's suspension to tour, and exhaust to track while in sport mode is a good idea. You get the benefits of the other modes and the faster upshifts of sports/track.

I'm weary of just holding the brakes and stepping on the gas to launch for the possible wear on the car. But it makes sense this would give the best launch as launch control does some funky things when there is wheel slippage.

And what's this about axle breaking? Is the car prone to it?
JasonGofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:36 AM   #17
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGofast View Post
And what's this about axle breaking? Is the car prone to it?
The ZL1 is not really prone to breaking axles or driveshafts. Have only seen ONE person with a ZL1 report breaking an axle on the dragstrip, and have seen no reports of a ZL1 driveshaft breaking. Remember, the ZL1 has stonger axles and driveshaft than an SS model does.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:38 AM   #18
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
I broke the right rear axle on my second pass after the last round of mods. I upgraded to GForce axles which gorgeous pieces of art.

The 15” conversion would be a no go for me. I rally my car and trying to keep up with the exotics in the curves is a must.

Was hoping that maybe BMR rear control arms would help with launch or some bushings?
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:47 PM   #19
ReevZL1

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
I broke the right rear axle on my second pass after the last round of mods. I upgraded to GForce axles which gorgeous pieces of art.

The 15” conversion would be a no go for me. I rally my car and trying to keep up with the exotics in the curves is a must.

Was hoping that maybe BMR rear control arms would help with launch or some bushings?
Yes the BMR rear control arms definitely will help with launching. BMR makes great suspension parts.
ReevZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:03 AM   #20
DegaZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReevZL1 View Post
The best way to launch is leave it in auto, turn all the nannies off, make sure your in Touring mode for best weight transfer, foot brake and hold at 2,000rpms. I’ve run 1.5s 60’ this way and high 9s in the 1/4 mile.

Factory Goodyear tires are not sufficient. I did 2 line lock tests and they were bald. also when you air down your tires below like 20psi the line lock does not work. I start my burn out with the foot brake and gas then roll forward releasing the foot brake. I personally only use Mickey Thompson ET street Rs which work great for dig and roll racing which is what you are talking about. Factory tires work better for corners as well as R888Rs. I heard the Nitto NT05Rs are good as well. For your roll racing you can also stab the throttle once and the car will go into performance shift mode. So the car will down shift and hold at higher RPM for a little bit. You can keep it in performance shift mode by using the throttle.

If you are scared to look like a mustang driver then you need more time driving your car with all the nannies off. Practice on a flat wide open safe place with no one around. Learn how your car handles. This is very important to learn as well as throttle control.
Thanks for the advice.

When you launch at 2000rpm, do you gradually accelerate after releasing the breaks or do you WOT right after ?
DegaZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:36 AM   #21
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Drives: 2021 ZLE A10
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReevZL1 View Post
The best way to launch is leave it in auto, turn all the nannies off, make sure your in Touring mode for best weight transfer, foot brake and hold at 2,000rpms. I’ve run 1.5s 60’ this way and high 9s in the 1/4 mile.

Factory Goodyear tires are not sufficient. I did 2 line lock tests and they were bald. also when you air down your tires below like 20psi the line lock does not work. I start my burn out with the foot brake and gas then roll forward releasing the foot brake. I personally only use Mickey Thompson ET street Rs which work great for dig and roll racing which is what you are talking about. Factory tires work better for corners as well as R888Rs. I heard the Nitto NT05Rs are good as well. For your roll racing you can also stab the throttle once and the car will go into performance shift mode. So the car will down shift and hold at higher RPM for a little bit. You can keep it in performance shift mode by using the throttle.

If you are scared to look like a mustang driver then you need more time driving your car with all the nannies off. Practice on a flat wide open safe place with no one around. Learn how your car handles. This is very important to learn as well as throttle control.

Very Good advise - thanks, I even took notes - like serious ....

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
2015 1SS 1LE M6 Black-Sold
2021 ZLE A10 Riverside Blue - Awaiting Arrival 01/10
Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:01 PM   #22
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
So you power brake instead of using the line lock? I’m trying to get this down. I had my car modded again in February and only did one crappy pass with no burnout bc the line lock disengaged. On the second pass I broke the right rear axle. Axles have been replaced with GForce axles now and I’m ready to go back in the next month or so.

So set suspension to touring?
Turn off all nannies (holding button for 10 seconds)?
Burnout using foot brake for 3-5 seconds and then roll forward?
Launch at whatever RPM using foot brake?

Any of this sound about right?

For regency my car is port stock SC, cam, and meth. Makes 780whp and 803wtq.
You broke your rear axle???? I thought these were made for this....
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:08 AM   #23
Flexhorn

Drives: A10 ZL1
I too had my rear axles replaced with 1500 hp rated axles. I’m at 824 Rwhp. I too have trouble rolling out of line lock. I think it would be better to roll out of the burnout with no water left on the tires. I’ve done about 30 passes and for the first time last weekend I totally forgot to change my launch rpm to 2600 Rpm. I’ll confess I don’t know much about cars and I’m trying to learn. I had a severe stall on my last two runs when I tried to power brake to around 2,000 rpm then it would take off? A friend told mine told me it was my stall converter coming into play?
Flexhorn is offline   Reply With Quote