Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 07-29-2016, 11:13 AM   #1
CamaroBruno

Drives: 16 Mosaic Black: 1LT; RS; NPP; Bose
Lethal's AFM Video & "Grinding/rumbling" in my V6

LethalHammer's most recent video about the Camaro's Active Fuel Management (AFM) finally got me to post about this, as I've been meaning to for a couple months now.

I've got an A8 V6 6gen and first noticed a, "rumbling", "grinding" feel consistently in a very specific situation: when I've been coasting or v. light on the throttle at 15-20 mph in heavy traffic on the highway and I lightly accelerate (but not enough to downshift). It's like it struggles to turn the last two cyl on and the increase in throttle bogs the other 4. I know Lethal said the pistons are still moving but without any fuel pushing them but I just don't know what's going on. What do you think? Also, wondering if any other V6 owners feel the same thing?

Not something I see too often but in and around Boston and the Cape, I can spend 1-2 hours feeling the AFM switch on and off and it's very unpleasant.

If helpful, I could probably try to capture the struggles on video via the tach, as it sort of shakes until V6 kicks in.
CamaroBruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #2
adrian1996
@mart_add

Drives: 2016 1LT Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBruno View Post
LethalHammer's most recent video about the Camaro's Active Fuel Management (AFM) finally got me to post about this, as I've been meaning to for a couple months now.

I've got an A8 V6 6gen and first noticed a, "rumbling", "grinding" feel consistently in a very specific situation: when I've been coasting or v. light on the throttle at 15-20 mph in heavy traffic on the highway and I lightly accelerate (but not enough to downshift). It's like it struggles to turn the last two cyl on and the increase in throttle bogs the other 4. I know Lethal said the pistons are still moving but without any fuel pushing them but I just don't know what's going on. What do you think? Also, wondering if any other V6 owners feel the same thing?

Not something I see too often but in and around Boston and the Cape, I can spend 1-2 hours feeling the AFM switch on and off and it's very unpleasant.

If helpful, I could probably try to capture the struggles on video via the tach, as it sort of shakes until V6 kicks in.
I know what you mean i also have the same problem in my V6.
adrian1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
CamaroBruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian1996 View Post
I know what you mean i also have the same problem in my V6.
Well I guess that makes me feel better. Thinking about taking it in, Adrian?
Old 07-30-2016, 02:32 PM   #4
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
A few options, you can disable it with a Range device or have tune it out. The latter option will void powertrain warranty though. Another option is to flip it into manual mode since AFM will not engage in manual mode but this assume you feel like paddle shifting. :-)

Make sure you are not confusing AFM for upshifting from a low cruising gear like 8th to 7th. I bring the v4/v8 gauge up on the display and I see it change but don't necessarily feel it.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:27 PM   #5
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
Yeap same here, that's why i don't like "AFM". At least we don't have the stop-start system like the Malibu.
MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #6
CamaroBruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
A few options, you can disable it with a Range device or have tune it out. The latter option will void powertrain warranty though. Another option is to flip it into manual mode since AFM will not engage in manual mode but this assume you feel like paddle shifting. :-)

Make sure you are not confusing AFM for upshifting from a low cruising gear like 8th to 7th. I bring the v4/v8 gauge up on the display and I see it change but don't necessarily feel it.
Yeah it's definitely not a shifting thing, though I know what you mean. Sometimes, I'll have the speedo up and feel the "grinding" and predict that it's in V4 mode. I'll switch over to a display that shows and I'm always right. It's that noticeable for me. I really want to drive someone else's V6 and see if it's as obvious. I have noticed that with my VTC and/or in manual, the car doesn't seem to go into V4 as frequently, either as a result of coding in the the manual mode itself, or because the throttle response is cranked up. Since AFM seems to be triggered by a consistent, light throttle, the touchier throttle post-VTC install seems to make it easier to avoid AFM mode... likely at the cost of a couple MPG.
- Black Bowties, NPP "Fuse delete", Vitesse Throttle Controller