#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-23-2023, 08:17 PM   #29
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
Thanks for the info, I assume there’s a reasonably wide range of hide adjustment. I’m sure vorshlag will give me exact details. I’m not sure if they sell The resistors your mentioning or not, I’ve asked them as well.

You’re making me think of getting three-way adjustable myself, although I’m concerned there’s more for me to screw up haha I do like the idea of being able to adapt better to more variety of different circumstances on track and the street, since it seems these would also be more comfortable as well.
However, I’ve heard the remote reservoirs can be a PIA, and there are greater risks involved with the lines...

Can anyone chime in to the ride quality of the system for the street when adjusting them to a more comfortable setting compared to the DSSV’s on the ZLE? I don’t want to end up buying these and hitting them when I drive them on the highway., I don’t do city street driving, so at least the roads will be smooth and in good shape
These won't really be adjustable to be more confutable. Magride uses very soft springs and a lot of damping, it's a great system but if the main goal is performance the spring rates are too soft. For my SLE, fronts are something like 330 lbs (I could be off, it's been a while). With MCS you'd use more spring and less compression, 700-800 lb springs up front, so you won't be able to make adjustments to make the ride softer, it'll just be bouncier.

RR2 remote res ramps up damping forces 2x as fast as the TT2 non-remote, and has a lot more rebound damping This will make the ride a bit harsher for sure, but more controlled. TT2 will be smoother on the road. Going to coilovers will be a big compromise in ride quality vs magride, the contrast could be pretty jarring.
Old 10-23-2023, 09:18 PM   #30
Protocol

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post

Last, but not least I don’t know anybody on this forum yet who has experience with the DSC tractive system, however, based on what I’ve heard so far and as stated above, my understanding based off Robert Weathers is also that it needs to be fully custom calibrated to be of maximum value, and once again, it seems almost nobody really knows how to do that effectively, not to mention the time involved to test and tune over and over again. Which is too bad because it seems that there option has the potential of the best of both worlds., considering it sounds like it can be a soft Street ride, perhaps, unlike MCS and Detroit speed coil overs?
I have the DSC tractive system on my ZL1 1LE. In fact, it’s actually Robert Weathers’ former car.

I’m just starting to dive into learning more about the Tractive coilovers. They seem to be quite impressive, albeit complicated. Having had a stock ZLE previous to this car, I do have a direct comparison between these and the stock DSSV’s. I am sure that Robert has significant time in setting up the system on my car, and subjectively, the ride quality versus handling/performance is an impressively nice balance. The ride quality (not some thing I care too much about on this car) is better than the stock DSSV’s and the handling on the street feels almost identical to the DSSV’s. I haven’t had any track time with it yet.

The adjustability of the entire system is fantastic. I’ve talked to DSC on the phone about some initial adjustments and plan to reach out to them for further learning in the near future.
Protocol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 12:05 AM   #31
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protocol View Post
I have the DSC tractive system on my ZL1 1LE. In fact, it’s actually Robert Weathers’ former car.

I’m just starting to dive into learning more about the Tractive coilovers. They seem to be quite impressive, albeit complicated. Having had a stock ZLE previous to this car, I do have a direct comparison between these and the stock DSSV’s. I am sure that Robert has significant time in setting up the system on my car, and subjectively, the ride quality versus handling/performance is an impressively nice balance. The ride quality (not some thing I care too much about on this car) is better than the stock DSSV’s and the handling on the street feels almost identical to the DSSV’s. I haven’t had any track time with it yet.

The adjustability of the entire system is fantastic. I’ve talked to DSC on the phone about some initial adjustments and plan to reach out to them for further learning in the near future.
That’s funny, he just messaged me about his former car and said he’d put me in contact with you to see if you’d sell it because you weren’t taking it to the track haha
He’d be glad to know you were taking it to the track now!

Yeah, sounds like that would be the ideal set up in terms of comfort and track performance, if you want to sell the suspension, let me know!

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 10-24-2023 at 12:24 AM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 12:13 AM   #32
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
These won't really be adjustable to be more confutable. Magride uses very soft springs and a lot of damping, it's a great system but if the main goal is performance the spring rates are too soft. For my SLE, fronts are something like 330 lbs (I could be off, it's been a while). With MCS you'd use more spring and less compression, 700-800 lb springs up front, so you won't be able to make adjustments to make the ride softer, it'll just be bouncier.

RR2 remote res ramps up damping forces 2x as fast as the TT2 non-remote, and has a lot more rebound damping This will make the ride a bit harsher for sure, but more controlled. TT2 will be smoother on the road. Going to coilovers will be a big compromise in ride quality vs magride, the contrast could be pretty jarring.
Thanks for setting me straight with that information regarding the differences between the TT2 and 3RR, my assumptions were obviously wrong.

Yeah, I’m a little worried about the ride quality issue, I don’t want to hate driving the car on the highway after making this change, however, I’d like to believe that the highway is smooth enough that it won’t be an issue since I never drive in the city.

MRC springs are actually even lower than that, 175 in the front…

My YYZ progressive rate springs start at 175 and go to 400 in the front. The rears start at about 450 and go to about 750

Even the DSSV’s I believe are 450 in the front and 1200 rear

Either way yes, that’s a big jump up for me to 600/600 for the GT springs, 700/800 for GTS or 800/1100 for the GTR springs… and I am surprised that they’d have even higher spring rates than the DSSV in the front at least

Do you know if they tailor the shocks valving to the springs that are chosen? Or are all TT2’s the same?

Lastly, in your own experience, does adjusting the settings down to a Street levels actually make them more comfortable to drive on the street in any significant manner?

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 10-24-2023 at 10:17 AM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 06:07 PM   #33
Chippy
BanHamWatch

Drives: 21 ZL1 1LE
Old 10-25-2023, 11:43 AM   #34
GunMetalGrey

MCS TT2 with GTS rate and progressive rate rear springs (tender spring) have been ordered!

Thank you everyone for your help! It was and is appreciate!
Old 01-04-2024, 05:11 PM   #35
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Interested to find out what spring rates you guys are using with the MCS coil overs.

I'm plan on going with RR2 = the remote res 2-ways.
Old 01-04-2024, 05:36 PM   #36
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
Interested to find out what spring rates you guys are using with the MCS coil overs.

I got RR2s with 750/850 lb springs, coilover rears.

Mine are still in the boxes so can't give feedback yet.
Old 01-06-2024, 08:43 PM   #37
Og Neon
Lover of Speed

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post

I went with 800 fronts and 1200 rears. I also kept my rears divorced like the factory setup.
I love the swap over to MCS. I notice the biggest difference in how fast the car adapts especially when using the curbs. The car no longer gets unsettled using them which made a huge difference at Road Atlanta!

2021 One Lap of America Track Videos
2019 One Lap of America Track Videos
2017 One Lap of America Track Videos

2022 Ram TRX
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR (Sold)
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT (Sold)
2014 Camaro Z/28 (Sold)
Og Neon is offline   Reply With Quote