Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 10-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
streetyme

Drives: 2016 2SS nav mag ride npp a8
When is the approiate time for a Tune?

Hello I have a 2010 L99 and was looking at either a Rotofab or CAI , full exhaust and the tune. I was thinking about Florida Speed and Power for a handheld tuner with a custom tune. My question is should I invest in the tune now , to disable my AFM and to get my transmission shifts points more in line, or wait a little longer till after I get my full exhaust to.. LT's hf cats and cat back? Any advice would be very welcome
Weld Laguna 17x10 18x5

2006 mustang gt Magnuson Livernois stage 2 heads stage 2 blower cams dynatech headers 4.10's Circle D convertor 533/511bs) (9.8lbs)
streetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetyme View Post
Hello I have a 2010 L99 and was looking at either a Rotofab or CAI , full exhaust and the tune. I was thinking about Florida Speed and Power for a handheld tuner with a custom tune. My question is should I invest in the tune now , to disable my AFM and to get my transmission shifts points more in line, or wait a little longer till after I get my full exhaust to.. LT's hf cats and cat back? Any advice would be very welcome
1st let me say you cannot get a much better then an FSP tune.

Personally I'd tune now and then have the tune redone when you do the other mods (LT/Cats, exhaust makes no difference when tuning). I believe to re-tune is only a small amount of $ when doing it via handheld, so no need to wait to enjoy a tune. If you we doing a dyno tune I'd say wait.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
streetyme

Thanks so do tune and cai now, then just retune for additional mods? My mustang has a SCT tuner, but the tune is dyno and street tuned; since its supercharged. Thanks for the input nyrfan.....
Weld Laguna 17x10 18x5

2006 mustang gt Magnuson Livernois stage 2 heads stage 2 blower cams dynatech headers 4.10's Circle D convertor 533/511bs) (9.8lbs)
Old 10-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Thanks so do tune and cai now, then just retune for additional mods? My mustang has a SCT tuner, but the tune is dyno and street tuned; since its supercharged. Thanks for the input nyrfan.....
Yep, tune now and enjoy your car the way it was meant, if you are going to at some point anyway The tranny tune alone makes it worth it.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Get your parts installed, then get your tune.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Wait until you atleast get the headers.

Stock, there is very little to gain tuning a stock car. The only noticeable differences for the L99 is the shift points and the torque management in the TCM.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
dkg11

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
you should definitely wait till you get your intake and exhaust, headers would be ideal as well before you get your tune. when you get everything together then get a tune you really see big results. Custom dyno tunes are not cheap, so wait till you really can maximize your tune with all your bolt ons on.
Custom tune by Bob Morreale www.thetuningschool.com
QTP Electronic Exhaust cut-outs
12'' Alpine type R with 1500watts double ported box
Tinted windows
392RWHP on Mustang Dyno
dkg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Wait until you atleast get the headers.

Stock, there is very little to gain tuning a stock car. The only noticeable differences for the L99 is the shift points and the torque management in the TCM.
If he's going to tune anyway when he gets his headers, why wait? He may as well do it now since a handheld retune is simple and cheap.

He's not doing a dyno tune, if he were doing that I would agree.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 10-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
If he's going to tune anyway when he gets his headers, why wait? He may as well do it now since a handheld retune is simple and cheap.

He's not doing a dyno tune, if he were doing that I would agree.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Because it pretty much is a waste on a stock car and it saves money, sorry but a retune isn't "cheap" even for e-mail tunes. A retune for the mods he listed will cost about $150 if he does it now or he can wait a little while and get a tune that includes all of his mods for the initial purchase price.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
streetyme

Thanks everybody for the insight.. I was just reading that the L99 has the AFM and in the tune could disable it. Their is a shop in Il that is very well versed in LSX's, DSX tuning , was just planning on waiting until I had the funds to do a heads and cam , then do a complete dyno tune. Dyno tunes can be expensive I have over a grand in my mustang ... WOT tuner told he is'nt too hard to get dailed it. It's the part throttle and throttle tip in thats takes time to adjust. Even though it's got heads , cams and pullied for 9.9lbs it drives like stock around town. I also had a slight problem cause I am running a Ford GT 500 TB ;which would cause a wrench light to come on if I jumped on it in first gear.. Just had to go in and adjust the values..
Weld Laguna 17x10 18x5

Old 10-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #11
redredrage

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS manual all stock
when your power train waranty is gone, or when addons require it
redredrage is offline   Reply With Quote