Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 08-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #1
GR8WHITE1

Drives: camaro
WHAT TO USE TO RECORD TRACK LAPS WITH GALAXY PHONE?

Hey guys wanting to record laps with my phone galaxy s3 and wanted to see what apps and what you guys are using to secure the phone in the car while tracking it? I have seen a couple guys that used their phones and it showed lateral g's braking, speed etc also and I thought that was awesome. Or maybe end up getting a go pro not sure though.
GR8WHITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Harry's LapTimer seems to be the most popular one. There's a forum specifically devoted to this product. Apparently it can be set up to work with GoPro as the main video, so you aren't necessarily stuck in an "either-or" situation.

http://www.gps-laptimer-forum.de/viewforum.php?f=9

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:39 AM   #3
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
You need a few things:
(1) An App for lap-timing: I use RaceChrono. It is free, and is also one of the best. Harry's Lap timer became famous on iPhone devices, and since it did not have any rival for a long time on iPhones, you just hear that app for iPhone devices.
(2) External Bluetooth GPS. Phone's own GPS runs at 1Hz, which is good enough to learn your approximate lap time, but not good enough for analysis or overlaying data on video.
(3) Camera: Sure, you can use your phone's camera through the app, but why bother if you can get a much better camera (like a GoPro).
(4) Dash software: You will need a software like Dashware that will sync-up the data you get from the app with video(s) you get from the camera(s). It will create the gauges on the video. If you choose to use the phone's own camera, though, you don't need the software.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:54 AM   #4
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Harry's lap timer
Old 09-02-2014, 07:22 PM   #5
suzbndt

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2011 Mustang GT
Harrys with an external gps sensor
suzbndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I HAVE USED THEM ALL AND THEY ALL FAIL FOR ME.
I got Harry's to work with a test lap at home then at the track it recorded every lap as one session so the video is too big to overlay. I tried converting to a smaller size with no success. Because it grouped everything together I got absolutey NO usefull data from it and cannot even see any of it. It looks cool in the videos I see online but I feel like I wasted a entire track day using it because I have nothing from it.

Last year I used RaceChrono and it recorded laps individually but half way through the day it started recording only the first few laps of the sessions and would stop recording data so I gave up on that one too.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #7
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
I HAVE USED THEM ALL AND THEY ALL FAIL FOR ME.
I got Harry's to work with a test lap at home then at the track it recorded every lap as one session so the video is too big to overlay. I tried converting to a smaller size with no success. Because it grouped everything together I got absolutey NO usefull data from it and cannot even see any of it. It looks cool in the videos I see online but I feel like I wasted a entire track day using it because I have nothing from it.

Last year I used RaceChrono and it recorded laps individually but half way through the day it started recording only the first few laps of the sessions and would stop recording data so I gave up on that one too.
That's strange. One common problem I had with data recorders is that when it's very cloudy, GPS signals becomes sketchy, and they might miss the start/finish line. Once that happens, it keeps adding time to the last lap even though you started the next one, practically ruining both laps. This happened with both the internal GPS, and also with external transponders like QStar's BT818XT, and Garmin's device. I finally ended up buying a very good quality one, XGPS160, and it's worked great so far.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD

Last edited by X25; 09-11-2014 at 07:39 AM.
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:30 AM   #8
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS, 1LE, NPP, RECAROS
I use track addict for my iphone. I record the data to the phone using an universal gps receiver (much more accurate then the phones gps). I take my video with my gopro, then overlay the data to the video using racerender's software. It is all very easy.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:25 AM   #9
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
aLapHD App & get a $5.99 Bluetooth OBD2 reader with it.
See the result using RaceRender Software to Edit it: http://youtu.be/zgWhaDbx80k?list=UUx...OskhxSyYA0UWQw

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote